Facebook's 'Like This' button is tracking you

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Facebook's 'Like This' button is tracking you

Post by bee »

Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
All read all of this very interesting article!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D That's why i think EasyPrivacy should block Facebook's buttons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :idea: :idea: :idea: I've in my own configuration some rules to block Facebook buttons!!!!!!!!!!! :-? :idea: :idea: but i think it's ok if it gets blocked in the main filters too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :idea:
Numerous websites have implemented the Facebook Like button to let Facebook members share their interests, therewith promoting websites or news items. It is, thus, an important business tool for content providers. However, this article shows that the tool is also used to place cookies on the user’s computer, regardless whether a user actually uses the button when visiting a website. As an alternative business model this allows Facebook to track and trace users and to process their data. It appears that non-Facebook members can also be traced via the Like button. This means that Facebook’s tentacles reach far beyond their own platform and members. Due to the extensive web coverage with Like buttons, Facebook has a potential connection with all web users. Web activity can be linked to individual accounts or a separate data set can be created for individuals who are not (yet) a Facebook member. The hidden collection of data on browsing behavior and the creation of individual data sets has implications for the privacy of individuals. This article discusses privacy issues arising from third party cookie use and connectivity of web activity and devices, using the technical process behind the Facebook Like button as an example.
(source :arrow: :arrow: Facebook Tracks and Traces Everyone: Like this! :idea: Arnold Roosendaal TILT, Tilburg University)
bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
The bee is more honored than others, not because the bee labors, but because the bee labors for others.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

Any third-party item can have the logs analysed to discover which domains it was activated on, and by accumulation of reports the domains that an address has accessed. I don't really think that the button deserves to be blocked on this basis.

Wladimir has previously discussed the dangers of third-party scripts in his blog at http://adblockplus.org/blog/third-party ... urity-risk.