EasyList filter speed tests

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

EasyList filter speed tests

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir had written to me a few months ago telling me that I needed to optimize my filter more so that it could take advantage of ABP's 'shortcut' features. He told me that my filter was loading in about 62ms because a lot of my strings did not qualify for the '8-unbroken character' rule (I still have a few). That was when I started adding and rewriting strings and now have actually increased the size of the filter about 40% of what it was then, figuring that I may have gotten it down to 45ms or so in loading time.

Wladimir posted these filter speed numbers on his forum yesterday comparing the load times to Filterset.G ... they are very shocking (at least to me):

Filterset.G (without the whitelist filter) 65ms
EasyList: (with whitelisting) 27ms

I guess it pays to simple-filter optimize, hey? 8)
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Yea, I did notice the difference too. Much faster! I mentioned it back when it happened too. Great work by both you and WP!! I keep thinking it can't get much better then you two tweak something and I'm like wow they did it again!!!
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote:Yea, I did notice the difference too. Much faster! I mentioned it back when it happened too. Great work by both you and WP!! I keep thinking it can't get much better then you two tweak something and I'm like wow they did it again!!!
Yeah Dogg ...
I've really been noticing a big difference as of late. It really picked up after I cleared my cache. It seems that the cache might get a little confused after a filter update if a new string affects those pages (I really don't know that answer). But it is VERY fast! I am very surprised at the parsing speed considering I have added whitelisting to it AND am also running the 17k EasyElement filter too.

And I DO remember you saying that too right after the last ABP update. I also remember when I first started to optimize the filters that I thought that I could get them down into the 20ms range .... and I did it! :D
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

Wow, good job to you both.

That said, would be interesting to see some benchmarks involving EasyElement.