CONGRADS TO EVERYONE - adblockplus.org stats

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

CONGRADS TO EVERYONE - adblockplus.org stats

Post by rick752 »

CONGRADS TO EVERYONE - adblockplus.org stats on 8/7

Wladimir has just released his stats on adblockplus.org for July (the first month of the EasyList being hosted there for me) .... impressive one month numbers for the EasyList!

I now host my subscriptions from both Wladimir's and my own site. Only subscriptions starting on a new installation of Adblock Plus from around the first week of July serve from Wladimir's site. MY site STILL serves all the subscriptions installed previous to last month back to Adblock Plus 0.6 which would be even a larger number than Wladimir's site numbers are (updates do not change the download server address).

These are stats only for the regular EasyList Filter (3k) ..... 1.7 gig of download transfer last month just at Wladimir's site alone :shock: :cool:

So, to all of the team and others that have helped with the filters ... welcome to the 100,000 subscribers club :)

(a couple of weeks later on 8/20) ... now welcome to the 130,000 subscribers club :shock:

Wladimir's original blog:
http://adblockplus.org/blog/some-impressive-statistics
Last edited by rick752 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

wow, nice work Rick! Congrats to a very successful filter set. It's my favorite one too! There is some other good ones, but for me yours just fills my needs completely. I can look at the list and tell exactly what's going on, what's being blocked and what I could change without damaging other parts of the filters.

OK I could go on all day with the benefits so I'll just say THANKS!
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

That's amazing, congratulations.

(Although it's too bad there are no statistics on what percentage of easylist users also use easyelement, I'm really curious about that.)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Thanx guys ... without any of YOUR help, this would not be possible .. whether in a technical, informative, or even just a supportive role (it's amazing how much 'supportive' really means. So thanx to you ALL! :D
VF wrote: Although it's too bad there are no statistics on what percentage of easylist users also use easyelement, I'm really curious about that.
Well, I guess I can just ask Wladimir what was the transfer size for the EasyElement filter and then do a 'proportional' comparison.

I would imagine that because it is not offered in ADP (and has JUST started to gain some more notice with the growth of text ads), that it would be a much smaller percentage ... but I'll bet that it will grow proportionally faster over the coming months than the EasyList.

My guess would be around 15,000 - 20,000 subscribers total so far even though I really did not '! comment ' it in the easylist subscription until about mid-July..
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

Yes, it's not offered the same way easylist is so it'll be a much smaller amount of users using it. Still, I'm curious how small..
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I just emailed Wladimir and asked him for the total transfer of the element filter.

I don't expect an answer for another few hours as it is very early morning in Norway.

I wish I had access to MY log files on my verizon account. :cry:
Last edited by rick752 on Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grail Knight
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grail Knight »

Those are winning numbers Rick.

The Element Filter will grow in usage as time goes by.

-Greg
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

My original EasyElement filter estimates might be a bit high. Some people also not be inclined to have them automatically update either. I probably am serving much more of those from my Verizon site than Wladimir's site ... maybe 5000. But it should grow ... it's still pretty new. Give it time.
Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Well, I don't know what is happening on Rick's site but the download stats on easylist.adblockplus.org are certainly going crazy. The recent stats for adblock_rick752.txt indicate that there are around 75000 subscribers hammering on this site now. The number for easylist-element_rick752.txt is something like 1200 subscribers. Fortunately I've installed some measures to reduce the traffic so that we should stay on the same level as in the previous month. However, at that rate I'll have to pay for additional traffic pretty soon...

Btw, Cedric Menge told me about similar statistics on his site - his adblock.txt caused 1.2 GB of traffic in July. It seems the subscription suggestions window in Adblock Plus 0.7.1 was very effective...
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I would agree WP. And Rick's list is starting to get to be very well known. You are partly the reason, and many have been posting in forums around the web about it too. Rick's list is the best out there right now, IMHO. Word is spreading fast!

You two make a great team. WP's extension (best for blocking ads) and Rick's filterset (best filterset for the best adblocking extension). Congrats to the both of you!
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Yeaaaah Baby! :D

Rock & Roll!

That would probably NOW mean 150,000 subscribers total between Wladimir's server and mine. 8)

50,000 more than 2 weeks ago!
Last edited by rick752 on Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote: You two make a great team. WP's extension (best for blocking ads) and Rick's filterset (best filterset for the best adblocking extension). Congrats to the both of you!
Thanx, Dogg:

It does seem to make a good team .... things seem to be moving fast.

I was checking out the (regular) Adblock forum yesterday and G's forum. It seems like things are 'dying a slow death' with both of those developments ... and users seem to be noticing it.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

LOL noticing.. your to kind my friend. They are screaming about it. I've never stopped visiting those forums as sometimes they still have good info, but it's almost dead there now.

Even G has said he thinks having a team for filtersetG is a good idea, he doesn't feel he can spend the time needed for it anymore. Things has changed in his personal life and he doesn't have as much free time. I understand that, and people are finally starting to get the message too.

My hats off to him though... he did have the best (almost only) list for a while there. Much respect for him (he is a nice guy)..and I understand about life changes.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote: Even G has said he thinks having a team for filtersetG is a good idea, he doesn't feel he can spend the time needed for it anymore. Things has changed in his personal life and he doesn't have as much free time. I understand that, and people are finally starting to get the message too.

My hats off to him though... he did have the best (almost only) list for a while there. Much respect for him (he is a nice guy)..and I understand about life changes.
Absolutely 'hats off' to MCM and G. They took Adblock Plus 0.5 to a new level of ad blocking and I totally respect that.

And now Wladimir seems to be taking Adblock Plus to a new "plateau"! He is busier than anyone has EVER has been with this project ... hats off to HIM! :D
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I agree Rick, WP is doing an awesome job. Won me over a long time ago. And I was skeptical at first, but he's doing an awesome job.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote: Even G has said he thinks having a team for filtersetG is a good idea, he doesn't feel he can spend the time needed for it anymore. Things has changed in his personal life and he doesn't have as much free time. I understand that, and people are finally starting to get the message too.
This job is too big to do alone. Some people prefer working alone. There was no way I could have gone this far with the filters by myself. G is starting to realize this only now... I knew it right from the start.

I consider myself very lucky to have a great support team here ... without you all, the filters would not be what they are. The only way you can do a project like this is to have as many 'eyes' and as much help (no matter how small) as you can.

I really don't think G ever learned this until now.
Arteekay
Site Member
Site Member

Post by Arteekay »

Glad to finally see some stats, Which are far better (or scarier I guess, for those paying for the bandwidth) than I'd predicted when I first subscribed and started sporadically peppering this forum with my fodder.

I'd expect a HUGE rush when Fx 2.0 finally hits the public, maybe by then AMO will finally shit-can the original adblock and put Wlad's version in it's place, then it'll be crazy, maybe upwards of 50-100K in new subs a week!

I'll revise my stats from the offbeat thread post about getting a flood of complaints of false positives, etc...

2) The vast majority of users will assume the website itself changed. I'll make up a stat on the spot and guess that 98% of the new users will be implicitly trusting of our decisions on what to block and what not to (if it was an IE crowd, that'd be MUCH higher), 1% will quietly workaround in one fashion or another, 1% will come here and report or contribute, and not a soul with come here and bitch.

OH yeah, and 100% of 'em will respect and honor the achievement, great work everyone!!
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Thanx rtk:

"Take a bow, guys"
.. you all deserve it.

Time to make a nice 'credits' area soon on the
http://easylist.adblockplus.org
..site. :D
Arteekay
Site Member
Site Member

Post by Arteekay »

rick752 wrote:Thanx rtk:

"Take a bow, guys"
.. you all deserve it.

Time to make a nice 'credits' area soon on the
http://easylist.adblockplus.org
..site. :D
A little discussion today in the Fx build forums, in the way of more accolades...

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 5&start=24

Too bad Schrade thinks yer name is Rock. hehehe
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

LOL Arteekay, I seen that too. I think it was a typo though. At least I'll give him the benefit of a doubt on that. ;)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Arteekay wrote:
Too bad Schrade thinks yer name is Rock. hehehe
:lol:

"Rock" ... I kinda like that ... like a Chevy pickup (or a cheesy stage name).

That would be a typo from Shrade .. I'll guaratee it! I'll give him a little 'ribbing' when I get over to the DSLReports boards :)

"dbMorris" is a member of this forum. He was nervous and a little confused about making the transition from the old Adblock to ADP. I helped him a lot and I'm glad he is very appreciative.

It always pays to be nice and go that little extra mile, You never know who's toes you could accidentally step on. :wink:
Arteekay
Site Member
Site Member

Post by Arteekay »

rick752 wrote:"Rock" ... I kinda like that ... like a Chevy pickup (or a cheesy stage name).
I'd go with Stage name, in fact, you'll probably start off in the champagne room.

Put it on man, Put it on!!! ;-)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Arteekay wrote:
rick752 wrote:"Rock" ... I kinda like that ... like a Chevy pickup (or a cheesy stage name).
I'd go with Stage name, in fact, you'll probably start off in the champagne room.

Put it on man, Put it on!!! ;-)
Yeah .. like, "Rock Fantastico - Champagne Room Gigolo"
:D