NEW URL: EasyList info and subscription downloading

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

NEW URL: EasyList info and subscription downloading

Post by rick752 »

The info for the EasyList filters and the default subscription server will slowly be moved from my verizon site to Wadimir's Adblock Plus site at:

http://adblockplus.org

The EasyList section will now have it's own sub-domain name at:

http://easylist.adblockplus.org

You will notice that comments in the top of both subscriptions (EasyList and EasyElement) contain the new addresses of the 'easylist.adblockplus.org' website.

Also, the EasyList (USA) subscription 'suggestion' in ADP 0.7.1's installation will now update from the new URL. For the time being I am updating the subscriptions on both sites (on mine and Wladimir's) until I can figure out how to do a smooth transition.

It's actually kinda nice as to keep the load on my Verizon "basic site" server down. :)
Last edited by rick752 on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

Sounds good, will it be more directly endorsed by the Adblock Plus page now? Such as with a link on the main page, or something?
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Thanks for the heads up. Excuse me if this has been answered but I wasn't sure. The next version of adblock plus will have the new URL for subscription updates.. correct?
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

VF wrote:Sounds good, will it be more directly endorsed by the Adblock Plus page now? Such as with a link on the main page, or something?
I'm not exactly sure what Wladimir's plans are at the moment. He is busy getting ready to release ADP 0.7.1 tomorrow AND is trying to get his site and forum up to snuff.

I can tell you that any fresh installs of ADP 0.7.1 will have a much more 'pronounced' suggestion box during install.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Excuse me if this has been answered but I wasn't sure. The next version of adblock plus will have the new URL for subscription updates.. correct?
Correct you are Dogg. That's why Wladimir pushed me to do it yesterday :wink:
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Cool, thanks.

Post by Guest »

rick752 wrote:I can tell you that any fresh installs of ADP 0.7.1 will have a much more 'pronounced' suggestion box during install.
Or users without a subscription, as I can personally attest! Thanks to your shameless self-promotion following my upgrade to 7.1, I've spend the last four hours getting reacquainted with the adblock plus community. I had to research your filterset before I could select it, and upon finding your website and forum, and the quality of the people involved, I've now been forced into registering and hopefully contributing.

Can your host support the load? If the download stats on AMO are anywhere close to accurate (yes, I know about the bug on this), and half the people blindly select the USA subscription for no other reason than it's on top, you'll see upwards of 1500 new update checks a day. And I read a stat somewhere tonight that showed 70% over a small time period.

I couldn't add much to the adblock community... my interest atrophied, so I copied a filterset and forgot about it, except to turn it off to make a style for userstyles.org or myself. I didn't take the time to learn regexp, but css fascinated me. After trying to make a "full site" cleaner with RIP and it's ilk, Stylish was a instant wet dream.

I've been working on the full site for http://userstyles.org/style/show/564, so I was very interested to see how the abp7.1 + easylist + easyelement would fair on the homepage. I'm not going to learn the format this morning, but these two could be added to your list:

#ad_left and #ad_tiles

whether locked to the site or globally is a choice for you of course...

You've put together a great product, and support it in a way that we can all admire. Thank you.

rtk
Arteekay
Site Member
Site Member

Post by Arteekay »

And that's what I get for posting at 5am wired on redbull. Above post is mine, and sorry for not testing the post first to make sure the link worked.
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

Anonymous wrote:I had to research your filterset before I could select it, and upon finding your website and forum, and the quality of the people involved, I've now been forced into registering and hopefully contributing.
Well, let me be the first to welcome you. It'd be great to have more people contributing, especially to the element filter, which is obviously more complicated and intricate than a normal filter list.
Anonymous wrote:After trying to make a "full site" cleaner with RIP and it's ilk, Stylish was a instant wet dream.
I found that I was writing a lot of personal little element blocking filters for adblock plus when 0.7 came out. The only problem was it was pretty inefficient to edit every site I came across for myself, so I posted on the adblock plus forum about the feasibility of an element filter list, Rick responded that he was going to start one, and here we are. Stylish and its ilk obviously give you a more fine-grained control over websites, but involve manually finding styles for each site you want. An auto-updating filter list that users don't even have to think about is much better, I think.
Anonymous wrote: I've been working on the full site for http://userstyles.org/style/show/564, so I was very interested to see how the abp7.1 + easylist + easyelement would fair on the homepage. I'm not going to learn the format this morning, but these two could be added to your list:

#ad_left and #ad_tiles
Those look good. (Rick: washingtonpost.com#div(id^=ad_) )
Obviously there's a lot of stuff we haven't gotten to yet, considering it's mostly just us 3-4 people against the web as a whole, and this has only existed for a few months. I used to be posting batches of filters for ten sites at a time at one point, but I've slowed down quite a bit lately.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Arteekay wrote:And that's what I get for posting at 5am wired on redbull. Above post is mine, and sorry for not testing the post first to make sure the link worked.
@ Ateekay

I've seen your posts on Mozilla before. I have allowed you access to our little circle (check your Private Message).

As far as the server load goes, I am serving everything from my own host site ... BUT .... any NEW subscriptions selected since yesterday will be served from the 'adblockplus.org' site. I will eventually try to figure out how to 'wean' everyone off of mine and into Wladimir's. Until then, I will update both of them together.

http://www.richsterling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1319

Welcome Aboard Arteekay :D

Post by Guest »

rick752 wrote:I have allowed you access to our little circle (check your Private Message).
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'll my best not to present as a base noob. I'm starting by researching the difference between raw css and the abp notation. I think I've got it, but I may have a question or two along the way.
rick752 wrote:As far as the server load goes, I am serving everything from my own host site ... BUT .... any NEW subscriptions selected since yesterday will be served from the 'adblockplus.org' site.
And I should have know that, it's everywhere i look and I'd read it at least 10 times before I posted. I guess it's a question for Wlad then really...

Thanks for the warm welcome!

If anyone is interested, I've updated my Limit Post Sizes userstyle @ http://userstyles.org/style/show/120/ (and can of course also be used in usercontext.css) to include "support" for this forum. For those not familiar with this style, it's main function is to prevent long unbreakable links and screenshots from forcing you to scroll left and right to read the thread. Instead, only the specific post containing the offending content is affected, and overflows with a scrollbar. It also does the same vertically, should a post be from some wordy late arrival not unlike myself, although I haven't found a post here that "offends" in this way.

rtk
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Thanks Arteekay, I use that stylish a lot. It's a very useful one!
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

Anonymous wrote:I'm starting by researching the difference between raw css and the abp notation. I think I've got it, but I may have a question or two along the way.
See the Element Hiding stuff at http://adblockplus.org/en/filters , if you haven't found it already.
Arteekay
Site Member
Site Member

Post by Arteekay »

VF wrote:It'd be great to have more people contributing, especially to the element filter, which is obviously more complicated and intricate than a normal filter list.
I could see how it would seem so, now that filterlists only contain a few small regexps, but here's some quick background on my history...

I was an active daily lurker and occasional poster of the adblock plus situation when Fx 1.5 was set to come out, in the weeks surrounding the controversy involving rue, mcm and wlad when no official ab version would be ready for the browser release, and wlad's initial version. In fact, I believe I offered my "endorsement" of his version before Mike gave the official word, but after rue started the conspiracy theorist afoot. Keep in mind this was before Wlad worked his magic and laid down the final word on the simple vs. regexp debate.

I'd look at some of those full screen-width regexp's and my brain would fart, and that's about as interested as I could get. Once I got interested in Stylish during it's earlier days, the glory of css element selection was clear. No more trying to figure out streams of seemingly meaningless code, all I had to do was learn some css, bookmark a few good resources, and figure out how to dissect a webpage in the DOMi. And the difference in "power" is easy to see, with ad blocking being just the start of the redesign of my web surfing. Where my time would be the most personally benefiting was apparent, and maybe something I could do would be of some value to others, through the userstyles site.
VF wrote:I found that I was writing a lot of personal little element blocking filters for adblock plus when 0.7 came out. The only problem was it was pretty inefficient to edit every site I came across for myself, so I posted on the adblock plus forum about the feasibility of an element filter list, Rick responded that he was going to start one, and here we are.
Kudos for taking the initiative, and thanks for helping to birth this particular effort to take back the web for the user.
VF wrote:Stylish and its ilk obviously give you a more fine-grained control over websites, but involve manually finding styles for each site you want.
I said "RIP and it's ilk", for a very good reason. ;-) I probably should have been more specific: RIP, Platypus, and Aardvark, in my personal experience, but there's others. More background required...

I seem to read a lot of the tech articles on infoworld.com, and there was a flash ad that, although blocked and whitespace collapsed in adblock, would still massively disturb the layout of the content. RIP pulled it out easily, on the article it was set up to fix.. but other articles and the main site itself was virtually impossible to redesign with RIP... so I tried Aardvark and Platypus, neither was much better. Then came stylish...

And now I've come full circle, what I've learned about css from my Stylish efforts should be of some value back here with Wlad (thankfully!!!) now in command. Thankfully as well, there should be little or no conflicts between the two and they compliment each other perfectly. I've always tried to include complete ad element blocking (I know, actually hiding) when I post a style for a site, but only to ensure that it doesn't have any dependencies. Element hiding in abp with the EasyElement list replaces RIP and it's ilk, but it's overlap with Stylish is very minimal.
VF wrote:An auto-updating filter list that users don't even have to think about is much better, I think.
Totally agree on the issue of straight adblocking, of course, although there is a small community of authors that are attempting to produce an effective global adblock project completely in css, with good success. Stylish is for the power uswer and above to fully tweak his or her experience in a similar way to Greasemonkey, whereas abp +Easylist + EasyElement is the perfect solution for "set it and forgot it" situations.

/rant - sorry for the length, but I have a personal tick when Stylish gets grouped in with the others.
VF wrote:
Anonymous - (rtk) wrote: I've been working on the full site for http://userstyles.org/style/show/564, so I was very interested to see how the abp7.1 + easylist + easyelement would fair on the homepage. I'm not going to learn the format this morning, but these two could be added to your list:

#ad_left and #ad_tiles
Those look good. (Rick: washingtonpost.com#div(id^=ad_) )
I'll debate their potential for false positives as global filters in the private forum, as I understand completely the difference between the obvious need for the list to be publicly viewable, while keeping the logic behind the list close to the chest. Heck, I didn't even want to post the site name here, preferring that whoever was reading it would have to go look it up.
VF wrote:Obviously there's a lot of stuff we haven't gotten to yet, considering it's mostly just us 3-4 people against the web as a whole, and this has only existed for a few months.
Please know that my posts were in no way meant to make anyone feel like I was slighting the project because it didn't catch these two ads. I posted them here simply in an attempt to showcase that I might be capable of assisting in the project. ;-)

It'll never be finished, that's for sure. If we can claim that it catches better than 60% of the ads while causing least than 5% false positives, it'd be doing about as good as it possibly could.
Arteekay
Site Member
Site Member

Post by Arteekay »

IceDogg wrote:Thanks Arteekay, I use that stylish a lot. It's a very useful one!
And now that I've got an example of a LONG post (hehehehe) I see that it's only partially working when just added into the same section as the other adblock forums. I'll take a look again and see whether it'll need it's own section or not, and will PM you when it's updated. Thanks for the support and the 5 star rating!

rtk
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

Arteekay wrote:...Element hiding in abp with the EasyElement list replaces RIP and it's ilk, but it's overlap with Stylish is very minimal.
/rant - sorry for the length, but I have a personal tick when Stylish gets grouped in with the others.
Sorry, I meant Stylish for ad-blocking/hiding. Stylish obviously has more uses than just stripping ads away, and adblock will never (and should never) replace those. I saw a lot of ad blocking styles on userstyles when I was looking for sites to clean for EasyElement. There are ones up there which are ad blocking style sheets for single web sites. So if a user went to washington post and saw ads, they'd have to look up a style for blocking ads there, then do the same for every other site they want. Not to mention that they don't auto-update.

I know stylish has many other uses.
Anonymous wrote:I'll debate their potential for false positives as global filters in the private forum, as I understand completely the difference between the obvious need for the list to be publicly viewable, while keeping the logic behind the list close to the chest. Heck, I didn't even want to post the site name here, preferring that whoever was reading it would have to go look it up.
I don't tend to worry about what should be global and what shouldn't be, I leave it to Rick to do the combining. He does it well enough, certainly has more experience than me with maintaining filter lists, and it's less interesting than finding new filters for me.
I wouldn't worry too much about mentioning the occasional filter on the public forum though (as long as it isn't for yahoo), there's no need to get too paranoid. Still, most of it should be done in private.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Arteekay wrote: and will PM you when it's updated. Thanks for the support and the 5 star rating!

rtk
Thanks I would appreciate that. And NP on the rating.. I like to give credit where it's due.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

@ Arteekay:

I am impressed by your enthusiasm "for the cause" (as I call it).

It is people like you, with your knowledge and experience, that make element blocking (or in the case of Stylish :'element manipulating') an interesting and almost 'fun' thing to spend time on.

I really thrive on ALL of the input that is presented to me here. EVERYONE here has added a different perspective on either foresight, attitude, or knowledge to this filter project and I can't thank any of them enough. Sometimes, just moral support is great (like Paulfox and IceDogg did at the beginning)

I sincerely believe, though, that Adblock Plus will evolve as the the "de facto" ad blocking standard for the average user. Stylish is a great project , but is it mostly only used by 'geeks' like ourselves. It is hard to sell people on the idea that they need to 'manipulate' their sites .. most just want to block ads.

Thanx for all the kind words ... you have already proved yourself a welcome addition here.

ps: How come you did not register as 'rtk' here? ... too much typing for me :lol:

*EDIT* You CAN talk freely in this area:
http://www.richsterling.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=57

... it is only accessible/viewable by whomever I allow here. We are a very close circle ... anything goes ... everyone is great ... talk freely there :wink:
Arteekay
Site Member
Site Member

Post by Arteekay »

rick752 wrote:@ Arteekay:

I am impressed by your enthusiasm "for the cause" (as I call it).

It is people like you, with your knowledge and experience, that make element blocking (or in the case of Stylish :'element manipulating') an interesting and almost 'fun' thing to spend time on.
HA! Please don't confuse my OCD and insomnia for knowledge and experience! It's seasoned filterlist gurus like yourself, and coding and "pr" geniuses like Wlad, MCM, and NP (Jason), not to mention the excellent contributions I've seen from the likes of VF, Icedogg, and Paulfox... that make it fun for me.

If you haven't guessed yet, the "small community of authors that are attempting to produce an effective global adblock project completely in css, with good success" that I referred to earlier is Paulfox! :-)
rick752 wrote:I sincerely believe, though, that Adblock Plus will evolve as the the "de facto" ad blocking standard for the average user. Stylish is a great project , but is it mostly only used by 'geeks' like ourselves. It is hard to sell people on the idea that they need to 'manipulate' their sites .. most just want to block ads.
I'd argue that it already is, it's just AMO that hasn't stood up to Rue and taken down the vastly inferior original adblock completely. The download stats on that site need a serious overhaul, starting with a full reset. I hear that the site is finally getting a bunch of work put into it, Morgamic describes it as "TONS". I'd expect something to coincide with the release of Fx 2.0, I hope!

If I came off as a Stylish fanboy, or in any way offended anyone (this goes out in particular to VF!), I'm truly sorry. I just figured that the mythical average user won't be using this forum, and I might be able to explain to other's like myself (heck, let's hope to god they're much better than myself!) that start showing up (thanks to Wlad's new first-run dialog!) that their previous css experience might be of value, even if they just learned it because they wanted to make the piratebay wider.
rick752 wrote:ps: How come you did not register as 'rtk' here? ... too much typing for me :lol:
Don't feel required to use my username, we'll use it as a little Henmon Nelson test. Anyone that doesn't realize the relationship between the two gets booted for not being bright enough to contribute! hehehe

Honestly, I originally wanted to just have arteekay as on "nome de 'Net", but between the misfirings of my addled brain, my one public roboform profile and the multitude of different registrations required for FMO, AMO, AMO reviewer, Mofo, and bugzilla, I ended up with rtk on FMO. Once we're on the private forums, you can even refer to me just as "r" to save two more keystrokes! ;-)
rick752 wrote:*EDIT* You CAN talk freely in this area:
http://www.richsterling.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=57

... it is only accessible/viewable by whomever I allow here. We are a very close circle ... anything goes ... everyone is great ... talk freely there :wink:
I'm on my way over there now, having just read most of the posts in both forums. Truly a stellar bunch, you should be very proud of the community you've helped create.
Arteekay
Site Member
Site Member

Post by Arteekay »

VF wrote:Sorry, I meant Stylish for ad-blocking/hiding. Stylish obviously has more uses than just stripping ads away, and adblock will never (and should never) replace those. I saw a lot of ad blocking styles on userstyles when I was looking for sites to clean for EasyElement. There are ones up there which are ad blocking style sheets for single web sites. So if a user went to washington post and saw ads, they'd have to look up a style for blocking ads there, then do the same for every other site they want. Not to mention that they don't auto-update.
No apology necessary, and I probably shouldn't even have quoted you, as I was really attempting to speak to others that might be showing up soon. I truly expect that 7.1 is going to rocket the popularity of this filterset.

It's still like the wild wild west on userstyles, peer review is the only thing that adds a hint of quality to the styles. Some of the one's you probably saw were made to fill the gap before abp offered this great feature. Then you get the vanity ones, an entire style to block a single ad, and of course with a crazy selector. Sad, truly. check this one: http://userstyles.org/style/show/468 for how bad it can get.

On the other hand, for those that value the simplistic, it's good to have a pure css option available, even with it's shortcomings. NP has a goal of updates within stylish itself in future versions. But I agree completely, this filterset and adp 7.1 is the best adblocking solution for the average user, bar none! I didn't worry about any of them showing up to read any of this though, the vast majority of update checks will be from people with no further relationship to us here.
VF wrote:I don't tend to worry about what should be global and what shouldn't be, I leave it to Rick to do the combining. He does it well enough, certainly has more experience than me with maintaining filter lists, and it's less interesting than finding new filters for me.
I even endless debate in my head the decision to wildcard a selector, as even that could potentially generate a false positive. Can't imagine having to decide between global and locked to a site filters!
VF wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about mentioning the occasional filter on the public forum though (as long as it isn't for yahoo), there's no need to get too paranoid. Still, most of it should be done in private.
If it's just yahoo that's a problem right now, I'd guess we're just battling site admins and lower level developers, but if the ad departments get involved, we could be in serious trouble. That's the unfortunate truth to adblocking, if we get too popular, Big Business, and their thugs Big Brother start entering the fray. At least the worst case scenario is not nearly as scary as in a situation like Blue Security went through against Pharmamaster, we're at least dealing with legitimate businesses instead of spammers, but both will work to protect themselves should we have too much success.

Ok, I'm done spamming this topic now, I'm off to write a "hints and tips on css vs. abp notations" topic, which I think I'll post in the public forum as it might be a helpful topic for others like myself. even if they don't choose to participate in the private discussions.

But first, I'll need to reinforce the liner on my tinfoil cap, stuff gets pointy when it's creased! :-)