Proposal to move to Github

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
terrorist96
Postaholic
Postaholic

Proposal to move to Github

Post by terrorist96 »

I propose we (optionally) shut down this and the adblock plus forums and move to Github, where issues can be reported more easily and more visibly. And when a filter issue is resolved, it can be closed, instead of the system we have now of many reported issues slipping through the cracks and not getting attention.
Using a forum as the medium to report issues is not very effective.
Plus, it can also be more efficient where people can submit pull requests to more quickly get new/modified filters merged into the main lists.
Thoughts? Concerns?
uBlock Origin extension;
Chrome 64 bit;
Subscription Lists: Default.
anonsubmitter
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by anonsubmitter »

I agree. I have reports that are a year old and not processed. Probably 95% of everything I report nowadays never gets processed.
garyb

Post by garyb »

+1 This is a great idea! I've used github for years, it's excellent for handling issues/enhancements/etc.
terrorist96
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by terrorist96 »

If not move to Github, then why not when a list author comes onto the forum, go through the oldest unfixed reports first instead of doing the first ones you see? That way none would fall through the cracks, which is a major problem. I have 20+ tabs of unresolved reports that I have to hopelessly bump to get noticed.
uBlock Origin extension;
Chrome 64 bit;
anonsubmitter
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by anonsubmitter »

I agree with terrorist96.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

I'm not in a habit of repeating myself: rules#nomoney

Needless to say for now I wouldn't keep my hopes up, but that can change. ;-)
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
terrorist96
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by terrorist96 »

My issue isn't that there isn't a solution. My issue is that the solution isn't being merged into EasyList. And if/when the issue is merged into EasyList, the vast majority of users will have completely whitelisted the site, making it pointless to attempt to fix it. I can understand it taking some time to block unblocked ads, but issues like this should be fixed much faster. Otherwise, it just looks like Forbes/Wired/etc have conspired with Eyeo to leave the sites broken so most people will whitelist the site.

And before anyone says it, yes, I know maintaining the filter lists is a voluntary activity. And that's an issue, because ABP is nothing without the filter lists. So Eyeo should be paying to have it maintained. Or merge with other filter list maintainers from ublock origin, adguard, or AdAway and have one big list like when fanboy and EasyList merged, and you'll have more people to help maintain the lists at the same time. At least I'm offering ideas instead of just ignoring the problem and pointing to rule 3 (c).
But it seems like no one who has the power to update the lists is bothered by this.
uBlock Origin extension;
Chrome 64 bit;
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

terrorist96 wrote:But it seems like no one who has the power to update the lists is bothered by this.
You want to contribute what it would cost to keep a staff of "filter list maintainers"?

Since none of you have been paying for anything so far at this point you're just a part of the problem not a solution. I'll gladly pass my bills and Eyo bills on to you. Then you'll have something to bitch and whine about.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."