What about a program to do the *opposite* of ABP?

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
a non e moose

What about a program to do the *opposite* of ABP?

Post by a non e moose »

I came across one of those sites with the "ABP detector" scripts today, and I had the following idea. These blocking scripts are hurting webmasters, but not doing anything to the actual advertisers that make these annoying ads. What if instead of blocking, we had an addon that would register clicks for *EVERY* ad it saw (and use element-hider to block them, so you would still never see them). I think something like this would begin to cost advertisers a *ton* of money, and maybe even cause them to tell webmasters they may not use these adblock detector scripts. It would also be totally hilarious.
adbusters

Post by adbusters »

Great idea!

I'm looking for programmers to help with the implementation of this idea, if you are interested check out this blog post on Adbusters.org, and then send me an email at micah (at) adbusters (dot) org

http://www.adbusters.org/blogs/blackspo ... oogle.html

What I'd like to develop would be a version of Adblock Plus that removes ads and clicks on them at the same time.
Mike Rosoft

Post by Mike Rosoft »

Bad idea - this is called "click fraud"

Mike Rosoft
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Yea and it's also a very bad idea for security reasons. This was one of the first reasons I started blocking ads many years ago.
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

http://www.adbusters.org/blogs/blackspo ... oogle.html wrote:they will now record the types of websites you visit in order to gather a behavioral profile of your interests purportedly so that they can send you targeted advertising.
It seems to me, like the idea here, was to make the opposite of my addon :-? :idea: instead of removing tracking links, clicking them all :lol: :D :D :idea:
Funny idea though!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :idea:

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
The bee is more honored than others, not because the bee labors, but because the bee labors for others.