Filter List Not Updating

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
Anon-ee-mouse

Filter List Not Updating

Post by Anon-ee-mouse »

Odd - one computer is fine, the other doesn't update the filter list unless I intercede manually. Running Fx 1.5.0.3 on both, with Rick's Easy list installed indentically on both.

Anything I can check?
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Did you right-click the subscription title ..... EDIT SUBSCRIPTION ... and check to see if the UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY box is checked?

Are you running the same versions of Adblock Plus in each pc?
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

Post by Guest »

rick752 wrote:Did you right-click the subscription title ..... EDIT SUBSCRIPTION ... and check to see if the UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY box is checked?

Are you running the same versions of Adblock Plus in each pc?
Yes, and yes.

I even uninstalled Adblock Plus and reinstalled. I was surprised to see the EasyList subscription return by itself. Interestingly, on the box that's not working correctly, the option to "Remove all filters" is grayed out.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I don't think the "Remove all filters" works on a subscription .... only your own added filters.

Sounds like something could have gotten got crossed-up somehow in Adblock's 'patterns.ini' file.

Try removing the subscription by right-clicking the subscription title itself (EasyList (USA)) ... then select DELETE. Make sure after you do that, that you hit the OK button in the filter window otherwise it will just come back.

Then just re-select the EasyList (USA) from the 'subscription suggestions' in the ADD SUBSCRIPTION option again (make sure that the update is on when you select it.

Hopefully that should fix it. :)

Post by Guest »

rick752 wrote: Try removing the subscription by right-clicking the subscription title itself (EasyList (USA)) ... then select DELETE. Make sure after you do that, that you hit the OK button in the filter window otherwise it will just come back.
Oh, I see - you have to hit "OK" *twice* for it to take effect - once in the confirmation dialogue, then again on the filters window.

I'll see if it updates by itself for the next few days and let you know.

Thanks, Rick :)

Post by Guest »

That did the trick... Thanks, Rick.

Curious - when does Adblock query your server? When Fx is launched?

It seemed to update at a sort of random time, compared to my other computers.

Thanks again! :D
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Anonymous wrote:That did the trick... Thanks, Rick.

Curious - when does Adblock query your server? When Fx is launched?

It seemed to update at a sort of random time, compared to my other computers.

Thanks again! :D
8)

From what I can tell, the filters update 24hrs after your last update (says last updated in the subscription ... not to be confused with my filter's 'last modified' comments). It only will automatically update once in any given day no matter how many times you start Firefox (you can still manually update). I manually reload my filters every time I make a filter change so I really don't know what happens as far as update timing goes.

I think if your computer is off at the time it is supposed to update, it will skip the update ... not sure whether it just does it then when you start Firefox on the 2nd day or not. If you figure it out, let me know.

... or I suppose I could just ask Wladimir.

Post by Guest »

rick752 wrote:... If you figure it out, let me know.
I <i>think</I> it's every 25 hours. If the computer is not running, it waits until the next day, as you said.

This is based on a very unscientific, quick-and-dirty, half-assed investigation... :wink: