Google's plan to block some ads has ad-tech companies scrambling

Discussion of topics related to ad blocking.
-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Google's plan to block some ads has ad-tech companies scrambling

Post by -Mark- »

Code: Select all

http://www.businessinsider.in/Googles-plan-to-block-some-ads-has-ad-tech-companies-scrambling-and-calling-it-a-dictator/articleshow/61232365.cms
gotitbro
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by gotitbro »

They are just planning to create a monoply here by setting arbitrary rules they seemingly plan to block out the competition. A browser's role should be limited in that it serves content and protects the end user but this is completely unjust. The user should decide what they block.

And from what I know their adblock can't be turn off by users.
-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by -Mark- »

hey are just planning to create a monoply here by setting arbitrary rules
No! They're not setting any rules. Unacceptable ads are being determined by a group called the Coalition for Better Ads, which includes Google, Facebook, News Corp, and The Washington Post as members. It's more of an ad-filter than an adblocker and Chrome is no longer just a browser FYI.

A browser's role should be limited in that it serves content
Chrome does things which normally "browsers" are not supposed to do and offers such vast functionality which browsers are not expected to offer, so that ship has sailed a long time ago.
gotitbro
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by gotitbro »

[mention]-Mark-[/mention] Lets not fret ourselves. I think its clear by the way Google is acting that they are trying to block competition through rules set by a group in which they obviously hold a strong clout.

Now you might say Chrome is a platform but that does not change the fact that it is in fact a browser used by more than half of the Internet's population. What is worrying that Google is basically abusing this power to dictate what ads are OK and which aren't rather than the user's themselves.
That the adblocker in Chrome is going to be on by default isn't nice either.

The fact is where the conversation in accordance with adblocking is headed is indeed good but that Google is dictating most of it is a worrisome aspect.
-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by -Mark- »

Now you're just devolving the whole conversation into a speculative piece, nobody's freting except tin foil hat theorists, so how about you take a step back and wait till you see how the adblocker works out in the long run ?
What is worrying that Google is basically abusing this power to dictate what ads are OK and which aren't rather than the user's themselves.
Again, Google doesn't determine that by themselves, so would you bother yourself to read before spouting speculations here ? It's getting old now.

These are the kind of ads they're targeting to block - https://www.betterads.org/standards/

It's easy to act all paranoid and worrysome in this day and age, but it's difficult for people to keep an open mind when it comes to Google's browser given its reach.
gotitbro
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by gotitbro »

-Mark- wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 am so would you bother yourself to read before spouting speculations here ?
Literally going by the article you posted. Anyway one thing can't be denied and that is Google is definitely using its power to force advertisers to follow some standards (the standards which themselves have been decided from a small sample of 25,000 people from very homogeneous states) and that is not OK.
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

[mention]gotitbro[/mention] Could you refrain from posting again and again your conspiracy theories ? Stick on topic and remember this is a technical / technological forum.
gotitbro
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by gotitbro »

[mention]intense[/mention] Conspiracy theories? I am literally going by just what's been written in the BusinessInsider article though I do not intend to further this conversation.
-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by -Mark- »

The aim of me posting the article here is to spread awareness about the event and NOT to take article word for word which you did. So don't take everything written in that article in a literal sense. Articles tend to be clickbaity and speculative most of the time because they're desprate to make some mullah off this news and people tend to respond very quickly to such news.
notriddle

Post by notriddle »

If Google were blocking nothing but blaring sound, I'd still be happy with it. Ads that start talking out of nowhere should be punishable with being banned from the Internet.
gotitbro
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by gotitbro »

Well I guess I wasn't much wrong about Google's adblocker https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/17/google-chrome-ad-blocking-reactions.html.

The members of the Coalition for Better Ads themselves say Google had much influence in what standards were set. Oh and Google carried out the research for determining bad ads for the Coalition and it didn't even test it own ads :roll:
-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by -Mark- »

Ultimately Google wants to discourage the use of content blockers, so this is all a ruse, nothing more.