huffingtonpost.com

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
e80

huffingtonpost.com

Post by e80 »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

Code: Select all

huffingtonpost.com###entry_327426
Also is there any way to hide the "Join HuffPost Social etc." banner at the bottom?
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

The suggested filter (huffingtonpost.com###entry_327426) is already a part of EasyList. However, I will not add the bottom banner to the subscriptions as the element merely contains self promotion. Clicking the cross provided will hide it.
e80

Post by e80 »

Michael wrote:The suggested filter (huffingtonpost.com###entry_327426) is already a part of EasyList.
That's weird. I can't find it in EasyList or EasyList Germany (which i have). The element is also definitely not hidden when i disable the filter from my ad blocking rules. I don't have any EasyList filters disabled either afaict.
However, I will not add the bottom banner to the subscriptions as the element merely contains self promotion. Clicking the cross provided will hide it.
It reappears for me all the time (probably since i'm blocking cookies). Can you tell me the appropriate filter so i can hide it for myself?
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

Apologies, I don't think that filter was ever a part of EasyList; it was a mistake on my part. However, as the element is no longer present on the site I will not adjust the subscriptions.

The filter that you will require to hide the bar at the bottom of the page is

huffingtonpost.com###service_bottom_bar
e80

Post by e80 »

Michael wrote:Apologies, I don't think that filter was ever a part of EasyList; it was a mistake on my part. However, as the element is no longer present on the site I will not adjust the subscriptions.
That's weird too. I'm sure it was there earlier today.. i'll keep an eye on it to see if it reappears.
The filter that you will require to hide the bar at the bottom of the page is

huffingtonpost.com###service_bottom_bar
e80

Post by e80 »

It's back, but this time called entry_392624: http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/46/huffpost.png

Maybe it's on some time of day/day of the week based rotation.
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

It doesn't look like anything can be done about this ad as it uses the same name pattern for its surrounding div as regular content and a quick peek at the XML requests and scripts also didn't reveal any hint on how to block it beforehand.
Zombie Contributor
e80

Post by e80 »

What about this one?

huffingtonpost.com###rc_upper
Real content seems to be in rc_lower. I didn't see this distinction yesterday, so they might have just added it.
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

e80 wrote:What about this one?

huffingtonpost.com###rc_upper
Real content seems to be in rc_lower. I didn't see this distinction yesterday, so they might have just added it.
rc_upper also covers the two items below the ad which are clearly legitimate content. Plus, the advertisement item could be interpreted as an article *about* advertisement or a pointer to an interesting ad. I probably wouldn't block/hide it anyway since the distinction between ad and content is not clear here and I'd rather leave an ad than denying users legitimate content.
Zombie Contributor
e80
Contributor
Contributor

Post by e80 »

Erunno wrote: rc_upper also covers the two items below the ad which are clearly legitimate content. Plus, the advertisement item could be interpreted as an article *about* advertisement or a pointer to an interesting ad. I probably wouldn't block/hide it anyway since the distinction between ad and content is not clear here and I'd rather leave an ad than denying users legitimate content.
They reworked the site since then. Now it seems possible to block said ads without blocking actual content:

huffingtonpost.com##.ad_front_promo.right_column_promo
There's also a leftover ad container below the huge top story on the right.

huffingtonpost.com###most_popular_ad
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

Added (https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/f424eab1c071)

###most_popular_ad
##.ad_front_promo
e80
Contributor
Contributor

Post by e80 »

www.huffingtonpost.com

huffingtonpost.com###ad_most_pop_234x60_req_wrapper
Khrin
EasyList Author