analytics.js

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
AlphaWeaver

analytics.js

Post by AlphaWeaver »

On the EasyPrivacy list, a lot of tracking scripts are excepted from the list (meaning the scripts are allowed to load.) One example of this is the Segment analytics.js script, which is excepted by the line:

Code: Select all

@@||segment.com/analytics.js/*/analytics.min.js$script
On the EasyList homepage, it is written that EasyPrivacy "is an optional supplementary filter list that completely removes all forms of tracking from the internet, including web bugs, tracking scripts and information collectors, thereby protecting your personal data."... how is excepting analytics.js removing this tracking?
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

Sometimes 1 or more pages are broken when such a resource is blocked.
Initially the exception is added for some specific site then (if a lot of pages are broken due to blocking that script) the exception becomes generic.
AlphaWeaver

Post by AlphaWeaver »

That makes some sense.

That said, I think the explanation of EasyPrivacy blocking "all tracking" is pretty misleading if there are this many exceptions like this. How do we wrestle with this?
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

Unfortunately we have to choose between breaking a site or blocking the tracking (sometimes the sites are using poor programming or ... it's their choice to break the site to force the users to disable the adblockers)
AlphaWeaver

Post by AlphaWeaver »

That makes sense to me. I agree, some sites can break if the analytics tools aren't included.

That said, I guess I'm raising issue with how EasyPrivacy is marketed... if it isn't blocking all tracking, it shouldn't say that it "completely removes all forms of tracking".