A mailchimp email subscription embed is blocked

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
BobSmith

A mailchimp email subscription embed is blocked

Post by BobSmith »

Hi,

I am planning on using a MailChimp newsletter-subscription-embedded code-section on my site. This is blocked by my client's AdBlock (in that it appears when AdBlock is disabled). The client is using Safari (probably the latest version).

Is blocking MailChimp intentional?

The element being blocked may be:
<div id="mc_embed_signup"> </div>

I installed it on my older version of Safari and the section is not blocked. I installed it on my 30.0 Firefox for mac and installed the default filters. The element displays still. I also unchecked the box that would make AdBlock even more strict. It still displays the element.

Is this perhaps just her AdBlock?

Thanks for info.
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

If you're using the Annoyances List, then yes.
BobSmith

Post by BobSmith »

Hi Fanboy,

Thanks for the reply. I don't see how Safari would be able to install the Annoyances list. I don't see any way to customize the AdBlock extension in Safari. I may be missing something. Am I?

If MailChimp is blocked by the Annoyances list, may I ask why? I want to include a signup form for the client's mailing list. Is there some way I can do this while not violating any Annoyance List stipulations? (I don't really need to get into a philosophical discussion, but I mean a literal "why". That is, what aspect of the embed of the signup form is causing the block?) I did see that the list contained a few references to MailChimp. I don't know what they mean.

Thanks again.
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

There is many sites with "newsletter signups", that distract from actual content of the webpage. So anything distracting the user (popups, cookie warnings, newsletter signups (popups,elements)) were removed.

If there is a site that wish to sign up on, temporarily disable the list then enable the list after you signed up to the newsletter. Or alternatively just use the safer option and just use the social list instead of the Annoyances.
BobSmith

Post by BobSmith »

Ah, thanks again, fanboy.

I think I understand the reasoning for the block, now. It's those HTML5, same-page pop-ups that are annoying. They are! This, however, is just a static block that's in a dedicated section on the page. It does use some kind of HTML5 to report errors on the same page, without loading a new page. Is there a way for me to differentiate this pop-up block from an annoying one? I see that MailChimp does have a method for embedding without JavaScript. I can try that (although I do like the in-page error messages).

Also, it's only the Annoyances list that is blocking this section you suggest. I don't see how my client would have enabled this list in her Safari. Is the Annoyances list one that can actually be used in Safari? (The client didn't seem to know how to customize AdBlock apart from turning it on and off; and I didn't see a way to customize it on the installation on my Safari. It may be that someone else installed it for my client.)

Thanks again for your time.
BobSmith

Post by BobSmith »

Oh my gosh, I apologize for sending us on a bit of a wild goose chase. It turns out that my client had "AdBlock" and not "AdBlock Plus". I have not played with the Annoyances list to discover if it blocks MailChimp that is not a pop-up.
BobSmith

Post by BobSmith »

Hmmmmmmm2,

Well, as you know AdBlock does allow the use of the Annoyances list. It is still blocking the MailChimp code on the client's site. (I was able to enable the list in "AdBlock" in Safari.)

So, the question is there still. Is there a way to allow a static MailChimp newsletter signup to users who have the Annoyances list enabled? Or, is there a way to prune the Annoyances list to specify a particular kind of MailChimp installation?

I can workaround this by including a note to disable the Annoyances list if a user wants to sign up, but it would be, possibly, something to think about for the Annoyances list.

Interestingly, MailChimp does have a way of making its signup form be one of those pop-ups. It has a checkbox for "enable evil pop-up mode" or something like that (implying that this is a non-recommended way to use the form). I would have thought that not using this mode would not be something that would be blocked. It looks as if this is not happening in the current coding of MailChimp or the Annoyances list.

Thanks again for your time (and pardon again that I was confused about "AdBlock" in the previous mail).
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

I'd just use the social list if its causing issues here, the other option just whitelist the site for your own use.
BobSmith

Post by BobSmith »

Hi, thanks;

There's no way to get a newsletter subscribe form embed from MailChimp to not be blocked by AdBlock (with this filter) users? I want to make extra sure that this is what you're saying.

By the way, your captcha method is really neat. I bet some find it annoying but I like it.
BobSmith

Post by BobSmith »

I may not be communicating well. It may be that you are saying that you want Annoyances to block all newsletter signups. That's fine....

I did find a neat workaround. I put the "Newsletter Signup" header text outside the form, and linked it to the MailChimp site that has a static form. The AdBlock user with the Annoyances list sees only the header. If they notice it's a link they go to the signup form. AdBlock with the Annoyances list does not block the form on this page. (Although if the form can display on that site it seems as if it's not that Annoyances blocks all forms. I can only give the Annoyances list my opinion that a static newsletter signup is not annoying.)