Filter Subscription Stats

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg Verified »

I agree Rick, ABP is the best. And I don't see anyone duplicating it for another browsers without a ton of effort. Even then it will not match ABP's functions and features.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote:I agree Rick, ABP is the best. And I don't see anyone duplicating it for another browsers without a ton of effort. Even then it will not match ABP's functions and features.
I can actually say that you would be 100% correct after reading about some of the implementations on other browsers out there. Some are not bad efforts (better than nothing) ... but afaik most cannot process the varied types of blocking and/or the extended syntaxes that ABP can use. And that is VERY important at times!
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

EasyList stats for August
(July was omitted because of Wladimir's absence during that month. Also the last day of August is not in the stats so I will base August on 30 days instead of 31)

More milestones were hit this month and things couldn't have looked better. I would personally like to thank Danny Carlton for the INCREDIBLE spike in subscribers in the last half of August. Just in the second half of August, the total of ALL subscriptions downloaded increased a whopping 10% in just 2 weeks.

After calculating my (conservative) numbers for this month, I am proud to announce that the single, non-combined EasyList subscription alone now has 1.51 million subscribers based on over 8 million downloads :mrgreen:
If you add the subscriptions that are combined with the EasyList to that, the EasyList is now installed on about 1.7 million machines ... woo hoo! This is more than G ever claimed (1.5 million).

Here are the monthly totals per subscription download:

Code: Select all

HITS    SUBSCRIPTION

8,159,798 easylist
453,759 liste_fr+easylist
336,311 easyelement
224,186 abp-tracking-filter
215,833 easyelement+easylist
193,796 corset+easylist
31,466 rolist+easylist
If you go back and compare these numbers to June's, you will see large gains in ALL the subscriptions. The only exception is a small gain by the EasyElement ... but I attribute that to the large gain in the easyelement+easylist combo-subscription. Very nice gains ... congrads to all :D
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, call me stupid, but there is a combo list now? I'll have to go get that. I still have them separate.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote:Ok, call me stupid,
I can't call you Stupid .. Mr. Head already has that name :)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I always keep them separate ... easier to troubleshoot. Besides the separate subscriptions update instantly. The combo subscriptions can take up to an hour to update. They are re-combined at one hour intervals on easylist.adblockplus.org. I do not combine them here. Wladimir has a program that does it.
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

rick752 wrote:
IceDogg wrote:Ok, call me stupid,
I can't call you Stupid .. Mr. Head already has that name :)
ROFLOL :P Sorry I just find that funny.

On the other post thanks for the info Rick. I think you may be right and I'll keep them separate for now too.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote: ROFLOL :P Sorry I just find that funny.
It was supposed to be, Dogg. :lol: :lol: :lol:
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

rick752 wrote:
IceDogg wrote: ROFLOL :P Sorry I just find that funny.
It was supposed to be, Dogg. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yea I figured, but I had to say so out loud.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

September 2007 EasyList stats:

Because the EasyList 'combo" subscriptions are starting to get more noticeable numbers, I am now adding them to the regular EasyList stats.

Another great month for the EasyList and its combo subscriptions. Now with the new calculations, I have now hit another milestone. This month I have calculated that the number of ALL filters containing the EasyList (either alone or as combo) has put the subscription ...

over 2 Million subscribers !!!
(streamers, trumpets) :D

These numbers are based on all subscriptions that contain the EasyList ... they do NOT include the EasyElement or ABP Tracking Filter.
The EasyList 'stand-alone' filter was downloaded a whopping 9,219,903 times last month and put just that subscription over the 1.75 million mark.
Adding the other Easylist combo filters accounted for a grand total of 10,411,848 downloads of those filters containing the EasyList. This calculated out for a total of 2,002,278 subscribers.

The total of ALL subscription downloads was 10,941,123. Nice month ... still growing :)

Breakdown of subscription downloads in September:

9,219,903 adblock_rick752.txt
627,817 liste_fr+easylist.txt
363,817 easylist-element_rick752.txt
283,476 abp-tracking-filter.txt
280,102 easyelement+easylist.txt
245,079 corset+easylist.txt
38,947 rolist+easylist.txt

Nice rock-steady gains .. month after month:
usage.png
usage.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 8194 times
And once again, congrads to all involved :mrgreen:
LanikSJ Verified
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ Verified »

Thats quite a change from last month you picked up some 1 million subscribers. Some chum change eh? :mrgreen:
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Lanik wrote:Thats quite a change from last month you picked up some 1 million subscribers.
You're figuring it wrong Lanik, I picked up over 1 million more DOWNLOADS. This month, any download numbers need to be divided by the factor of 5.2 to show the actual number of subscribers.

Last month I claimed 1.5 million subscribers, but it was more like 1.75 million if I added the combo subscriptions. I added another .25 million subscribers this month.
LanikSJ Verified
Site Owner
Site Owner

I was just looking at the total figure. Still thats a lot of people. :)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Yup ... sure is.

Thank you Danny Carlton and all of the others that don't like ABP but just can't seem to stop introducing it to an un-aware public :wink:
LanikSJ Verified
Site Owner
Site Owner

There is no such thing as bad publicity. That guy just doesn't understand all he's doing is making us look more popular. I bet you there are people out there thinking "I wonder what the fuss is all about" and thats new users for us. :D
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Well, Lanik, it's not like I didn't warn him about that 6 or 7 times during all the original arguments. Only the bigger, smarter companies do not talk about ABP .. at all! It is a lose/lose discussion for them.

"Adblock Plus is bad because it works great". Great negative press to serve to an ad-hating public, hey?
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Stats for October 2007

Another great month for EasyList and its affiliated combo filters. The main EasyList alone did 10,414,179 downloads for October, which translates into 1,928,552 subscribers. The EasyList used with the "EasyList+" combo filters translates into:
2,211,869 steady subscribers
That is an increase over last month of over 200,000 subscribers :mrgreen:

All combo subscriptions have also grown too ... congrads to the EasyList affiliates too. 8)

Individual download numbers for October:

1 10,414,179 adblock_rick752.txt (easylist)
2 817,242 liste_fr+easylist.txt
3 392,949 easylist-element_rick752.txt (easyelement)
4 360,459 abp-tracking-filter.txt (abp tracking filter)
5 355,752 easyelement+easylist.txt
6 304471 corset+easylist.txt
7 52,447 rolist+easylist.txt

Total subscription downloads from easylist.adblockplus.org = 12,589,274
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Stats for January 2008

And it just keeps on growing :mrgreen:
The stand-alone EasyList by itself did 11,473,151 downloads for January, which translates into 2.13 million subscribers. The EasyList stand=alone plus the EasyList in the "+EasyList" combo filters added together totaled a whopping 13,514,131 downloads, which translates into just over:
2.5 million steady subscribers
That is an increase over October's numbers of over 1/4 million subscribers :mrgreen:

What's amazing about this month's numbers (February) so far is that downloads of all EasyList related subscriptions are already 22,000 downloads per day above last month's daily average. I've noticed that Adblock Plus is making its round in the news again (many 'pro-ABP' articles this time) 8)

The EasyElement has 169,000 subscribers
The ABP Tracking Filter has 88,000 subscribers

Congrads to everyone involved and to all of the help I get in here.
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

That is great news. Get a few virus laden ads and you'll get a positive spin on adblocking from the media. It's only going to get worse for advertisers, I think, unless they can do something that no one else has been able to do and that is catch virus before they are detectable.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

February 2008 stats

For some reason, the EasyList took a HUGE jump in February. This is the biggest jump in one month that I have ever seen (and just when I thought that those 10-15% increases would start to level off). A large increase in word-of-mouth and ABP articles have been setting the numbers on fire lately!

The EasyList stand-alone subscription plus the EasyList used in other 'combo' subscriptions totaled out to 14,315,020 downloads for February. The stand-alone EasyList totaled 12,122,630 downloads.
These totals do not include any stand-alone subscriptions that do not contain the main EasyList subscription ... the stand-alone EasyElement and Tracking Filter subscriptions are not included.
In the short month of February, the total number of ALL subscriptions served from 'easylist/adblockplus.org' was 15,126,763.

Calculations based on the EasyList subscription showed there were over
2.8 million steady subscribers
.... that's an amazing increase of around 300,000 subscribers over last month's numbers.

The EasyList subscription alone is actually serving more than the 2.5 million subscribers that the news estimated was the number of the entire ABP community just a few months ago. Think about that ... there are still other subscription numbers out there and there is also filterset.g to take into account. WOW! How many people do you think are actually blocking ads these days? :shock:

Simply unbelievable! 8)
koam

Post by koam »

Does anyone have a more recent number of subscribers? May 2008
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

koam wrote:Does anyone have a more recent number of subscribers? May 2008
March's number did not show enough change from February to warrant posting the stats ... it was a quiet month for progress.

I should have April's stats soon (I only have stats to April 14th). April's number seemed to be running somewhere around 10%-15% above February's per daily downloads. There was a one-day glitch in the stats that I have taken into account. I would estimate that filters containing the main EasyList subscription was serving over 3 million separate subscribers as of mid-April.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

April - May estimates

Because of some massive "spikes" from other adblockers trying to use the EasyList subscriptions, there were inaccuracies in the stats over the last couple of months. It seems that the EasyList is becoming the 'filter of choice' for new adblocking programs for other browsers. Unfortunately, most cannot use the ABP syntaxes and features correctly ... so it makes these other adblocking programs unable to use the subscription features with the same accuracy that ABP can. (Believe it or not, one of the weird 'spikes' happened on a Wednesday and created a single daily download of 1.8 million subscriptions)

I guess that is why ABP is still #1 :mrgreen:

What I CAN tell you is that the TOTAL subscriptions on easylist.adblockplus.org (based on NORMAL days) is downloading on an average of well over 500,000 files/day ... on any Monday, the average increases to over 800,000 files/day.

"easyList.adblockplus.org" used approximately 120 gig of subscription download bandwidth. The amount of NORMAL steady ABP subscribers for just the main EasyList subscription is an estimated 3 million users. Adding the few other uses, I would probably add another million users.

I should be able to give you better info once the new server, the new stats program, and other outside downloading (that is not for ABP) stabilizes.
Wladimir Palant Verified
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

Post by Wladimir Palant Verified »

Rick, the stats from the last week indicate that there are at least 2.5 million EasyList subscribers (you get that number simply by adding up all downloads from Monday to Friday). AMO stats show 4 million daily active users for Adblock Plus - that translates in at least 6 million actual users. Pretty impressive figures.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Pretty impressive figures.
Absolutely, those numbers ARE incredible.

ABP is rockin' & rollin' ... it's big time stuff, Wladimir :biggrin:
I figured close to the same for the EasyList ... but also factored in the "+EasyList" subscriptions too which brings those numbers even higher. Congrads to all the ABP developers/contributors! :mrgreen:

I just love going through the pages and pages of new Google results every 24 hours (and these are just the ones in English):
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... lr=lang_en
Wladimir Palant Verified
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

I excluded +easylist subscriptions because I am unsure about how many people install *both* EasyList and some +EasyList subscriptions - logs indicate that the number is considerable. Maybe I should write a script to get real numbers, people who have both usually also download both within a few seconds...

PS: Ok, I wrote that script. For yesterday's log it says:

liste_fr+easylist: 20.7% duplicates
easyelement+easylist: 38.7% duplicates
corset+easylist: 51.3% duplicates
rolist+easylist: 69.1% duplicates

So the hits from the combined subscriptions don't always translate into new EasyList users (though it is the less popular subscriptions that have the most duplicates).
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

According to my number crunching script, my subscription surpassed half a million subscribers in June. Wow. :surprised:

The growth in download numbers has been pretty much linear for the last 18 months. The GNUplot fit tells me the numbers increase by
about 220000 downloads per month - or about 25000 subscribers. The download frequency has reached more than 2 hits/second on average. Scary...
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Wow Chewey ... congrads! :banana:

All is well in Adblock Plus Land ... and getting better ;-)
Wladimir Palant Verified
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

Yes, and EasyList download numbers double every 6 months - stable tendency. Now that's scary...
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Yes, and EasyList download numbers double every 6 months - stable tendency. Now that's scary...
Oh man. I forgot to check the final EasyList (stand-alone) numbers last month. I think the last I looked near the end of June, they were over 15 million downloads. I think this would have been a couple of million over last month's (Washington Post article?)