Auto-pruning feature for Adblock Plus?

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
ludite

Auto-pruning feature for Adblock Plus?

Post by ludite »

Is there some way for AbP to auto remove filters that don't get hits for long periods of time? (30+ days etc.)

I'm asking this because for me at the moment only 20 percent of the filters are getting regular hits, both EasyList and the ABP Tracking Filter.
An auto-pruning feature might be helpful in improving performance for those who are on older, slower computers.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Because I make filters for ALL users, there will always be many filters that any one user will never use. The upside is that as long as the filters in question are optimized for ABP, the EasyList can process thousands of them without any real noticeable 'hit' performance. As compared to the original Adblock and/or filter strings that are written with "regular expressions", 20 or 30 'optimized' simple expressions only take as much time to process as ONE of those strings.

Besides, chances are that you will use other strings from time to time .... better to have them than not. :wink:

ps: I will probably go through them again soon to see what can be removed.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Hivebrain

Post by Hivebrain »

Filters for expired domains can probably be removed.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Do you see some domains that are expired in my filtering? If so, let me know and I will happily remove them.
It is difficult to stay on top of everything in the filtering.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"