EasyList for older Adblock Plus ?

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
Passerby 3.1416

EasyList for older Adblock Plus ?

Post by Passerby 3.1416 »

Hi ! I have just installed Adblock Plus 0.7.0.2 - the freshest version which will work with my FF.
Problem is, though 'Easylist' is offered in options, it ends up empty - presumably a version conflict (I guess the abp: protocol is not recognised here).

My question is simple, where/how can I download (a compatible version of the) Easylist to my system ?

TIA, folks. Only don't bother to tell me I should update the Firefox, please!

--
The Passer-by
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Passerby 3.1416 wrote: My question is simple, where/how can I download (a compatible version of the) Easylist to my system ?
I'm sorry passerby but the EasyList will only work on Firefox 1.5+ with ABP version 0.7.1 or higher. I made that decision long ago because of the extra syntax features in the newer ABP versions that allowed better filtering control. Also, element-hides do not work in the old ABP versions either. I no longer maintain filters for anything below Fx 1.5. :(

See here:
http://richsterling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=561
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Passerby 3.1416

Post by Passerby 3.1416 »

rick752 wrote: I'm sorry passerby but the EasyList will only work on Firefox 1.5+ with ABP version 0.7.1 or higher.(...) I no longer maintain filters for anything below Fx 1.5. :(
Oh, well, understandable. So, there is no archived list, albeit not up to date ? A list a filters in text form ? I don't know AB+ yet, I'm only guessing filters are just text (regexps ?)

TY
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

The filter IS in text form here:
http://easylist.adblockplus.org/adblock_rick752.txt
... I could give you an archived version BEFORE the "$" changes were added, but I'm afraid that filter would be completely out of date because advertising has changed a lot since that was made. If you wanted to use the current list, you would have to remove all the "$" switches from the ends of filter strings that use them .... this would probably cause many inaccuracies and false-positives.

I don't know what else to tell you ... and I'm sure that you don't want to hear the "upgrade" word anymore. I would have to have a VERY good reason to still be using Firefox 1.0 ... but I know that is not what you want to hear. So to that I can only say "sorry". :(
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Passer-by 3.1416

Post by Passer-by 3.1416 »

rick752 wrote: ... I could give you an archived version BEFORE the "$" changes were added, but I'm afraid that filter would be completely out of date
As noted in the ABP forum, finally I was able to import the filters from your present list to my old FF.
I would gladly take your old version too, as a template if nothing more... Please give a link, or you might email to :

<w3qoy8b02 AT sneakemail.com>

(address temporary to defeat our spammer friends)

Thanking you for all your efforts

--
The Passer-by