Filter Subscription Stats

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Filter Subscription Stats

Post by rick752 »

According to my calculations from Wladimir's stats, the Easylist is now serving somewhere around 450,000 to 600,000 steady subscribers at this time and is still climbing at the present rate of about 20% a month.

Look out G, here we come :D
Last edited by rick752 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Congrats to you Rick, your the top rock star of filters now. 8)
hello5959us

Post by hello5959us »

Congrats :D !!!

@IceDogg:
you're, not your :P
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

If I understand you correctly (I'm not a rock star filter maker) you are certainly correct about that. :D
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

No Dogg, I think he just bustin' your stones ... correcting your spelling.

"you're" ... not "your".
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Ah, lol even after they corrected me I didn't see it. OMG It was late...yea that's it, that will work won't it?
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

New EasyList estimates from Wladimir for Jan 2007.
http://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=190

The EasyList has now approximately 800,000 subscribers.

Congrads to Wladimir and thanx to all of the members' help here and at the ABP forums. :D
Last edited by rick752 on Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Congrats again! Just keeps getting better.

Only thing bad about this is it shows my stupidity in earlier post again. :D but it's worth it.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote:Only thing bad about this is it shows my stupidity in earlier post again. :D but it's worth it.
Oops ... sorry Dogg :(

I should've started a new post instead of resurrecting this one .... nah! :lol:
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Naw, it's cool. I laughed when I reread it.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

My unconfirmed calculations for February seem to suggest I am serving somewhere around ONE MILLION EasyList subscriptions.

I will not officially claim this until I watch March's numbers to confirm this ... then I will write it in great big red letters here and then go out and have great food somewhere with many great beers. :)

Once again, thank you all for all of your help on this project .... you all should be as proud as I am.

Congrads, Wladimir for also breaking the 4 million mark with Adblock Plus as it once again returned to its #1 "Most Popular Extension" status on Mozilla Add-Ons.

@ Wladimir:
When does the devel become a reality? I know you want to release it with ALL the new bells & whistles that you have jumpin' around in your head .... but it seems real good right now and I know you will be busy for the next several weeks. But that "element hit" feature needs to be released NOW! .... it's an awesome troubleshooter for users :wink:
Last edited by rick752 on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Congrats Rick and Wladimir!
TonyW
Site Member
Site Member

Post by TonyW »

Yes, well done to everybody involved! :)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

OK, I'm making the claim.
After some calculating on the March numbers for only the EasyList (calculating for missed updates from users' computers not being on either for weekends off from work or just not turning it on the update day at home for more than 5 minutes), I figure that I am now serving over:

ONE MILLION STEADY EASYLIST SUBSCRIBERS
(*toot, toot* .... *streamers* .... *good beer*)

These numbers are probably even a little higher as I tried to calculate worst case because the EasyList is suppose to update every 5 days after a new update. That means that computers at a job that are turned off for a weekend will ALWAYS update at a minimum of 7 days because (each time) Saturday would ALWAYS be their update day if they updated again on each Monday. This would cause only an average of a little more than 4 updates per month ... not 5 (that would also explain the 90,000 or so download increase I always see on a Monday)

Here are some round figures:
1. The EasyList is close to 6 million monthly file downloads at around 190,000 per day but grew at the second half of last month. Just the first 5 days of April has already shown over 1 million EasyList downloads and well over 200,000 downloads per day.
2. The EasyElement is showing approximately 65,000 steady subscribers.
3. The ABP Tracking Filter is showing approximately 3,000 steady subscribers (it's a lot newer and is purposely not publicized as much).

Congrads to Wladimir, my team of regulars, the other filtermakers and all those who have helped and shared info ... without you guys, this would be much more difficult.

Wheeeeeeee! :D :D :D
Last edited by rick752 on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

rick752 wrote:ONE MILLION STEADY EASYLIST SUBSCRIBERS
Forgot the blink tag ;-)
So, I hope you had a nice party, I send (virtual) beer - the good stuff, I live above
a small private brewery - and (real) congratulations, this is great!

I actually am glad not to have that high a number of subscribers (guesstimate for
march: well above 250,000), it would crush my hoster's traffic limit...
3. The ABP Tracking filter is showing approximately 2,500 steady subscribers (it's a lot newer and not publicized as much).
We should advertise it more :D
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

again, congrats.. I see it only growing from here on out.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Ahhhh ... yum :D
(stock photo)
Attachments
blacklager.jpg
blacklager.jpg (80.85 KiB) Viewed 11249 times
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

April Numbers

I have now (after much headaches trying to figure this out) come to the conclusion that my monthly total downloads figure should be divided by 5 to calculate the number of EasyList-only subscriptions served.

This is taken into account because I figure that there is about 25-30% of subscribers that spike on a Monday ... which means that those machines are off for the weekends and ALWAYS update on every Monday making them slightly over 4 updates a month. The other regular daily numbers are consistent throughout ALL days of the week (even on weekends), so I figure that these are machines that will update (maybe) 5 to 5 1/2 times a month.

Because of that, I have chosen the average updates per month at around 5 per average EasyList subscriber (I figure the subscriber numbers to be slightly underestimated).

In March the total EasyList downloads was 5,719,629 .... putting it over 1,000,000 subscribers (verified) for the first time.

However, in April, the numbers were an astounding 6,380,957 downloads .... which in one month added over another 100,000 subscribers

Tracking the numbers, the Easylist subscription (just that one) over the past several months has been climbing at a whopping 10% a month (no small feat at these levels)

I am ecstatic! :D :D :D

I just want to take this time to once again thank all involved here and to Wladimir. 8)
Last edited by rick752 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

EasyList (only) numbers for the month of May 2007 shows about 1.35 million steady subscribers based on 6,986,808 file downloads
(factor now readjusted slightly. I consider this a solid but underestimated claim)

How I compile my numbers for the EasyList:

I am basing this on the fact that the EasyList has totally stabilized with users as the numbers are very steady "across the board" and continue to climb each month at a rate of 10-20%. This will be my first 'hard core' claim. Please note that this is a fairly conservative claim as I believe it is much higher

The formula I use
(reposted from the ABP forum):

If the 'automatically update' option is on for the EasyList, it will only update every 5 days or after the previous 'updated' date ... and then ONLY after 5 minutes of use after the program containing ABP is used. Because the EasyList is a "5-day minimum" update (from the last update), anyone who has their machine off for the weekend will only update every 7 days. Mondays always show a HUGE, very consistent daily spike here over any other day because those users ALWAYS update Monday to Monday (Saturday would ALWAYS be their update day). This means that there are a large number of subscribers that use a 7-day cycle updating rate. This is a BIG factor in the calculations.

Once ANY user misses an update day (or 2 like with work machines), that day(s) is again shifted another day(s) for that month and will take another day(s) longer to update again from what would have been their normal pattern. I use this calculation to 'absorb' the smaller number of users who might manually update BEFORE their cycle ... but I would think there would probably be 50% who miss an update date as opposed to maybe 1% who would 'force' an update. And I'm sure that there are MANY computers out there who will miss their update day more than once a month which sends their number of updates down even more per month. Most users are not as computer 'anal' as we are here :lol:.

After weighing all of these factors logically, I have figured that the average EasyList user has their subscription updated every 5.7 days. This is a totally arbitrary (and imho, I think a VERY conservative) number, but I think I will use this one always unless someone thinks that it is off a bit (I personally think that the number of subscribers should be MUCH higher). But I would rather sharply underestimate my numbers than overestimate them (like another major filterset?).

I then take the number of days in the month and divide it by that number (5.7). With 30 days this month, the factor came around just around 5.2. This calculates the number of updates per person .. per month. Using that number for May, there were 6,986,808 EasyList file downloads. That number divided by 5.2 gives me about 1.35 million subscribers.

But there are many other factors that should actually make this number much higher. What if they have the "update automatically" option turned off in ABP? What if a household used another browser that day instead of the one containing ABP? ... what if they didn't use a browser at all? What if they just weren't home that day or didn't use the computer at all? What if they just checked something quick and then shut it down afterwards (remember, ABP needs to be active for at least 5 minutes before it will update). What if your kids just used it to IM all day (oh .. does THAT happen)? I'm sure things like this happen to 50% of users on any given update day! These are absolute unknowns but probably happen a lot more than I am calculating. Therefore I consider the EasyList numbers EXTREMELY conservative. Imho, I would actually think that the number of EasyList usage would be closer to 2 million subscribers (and maybe a bit higher) as I would think that in reality many users might get only get 2, 3 or 4 updates a month instead of my 5.2 factor. But I will just stick to my "hard" (very conservative) numbers :wink:

Total file downloads for the month of May (includes third-party EasyList 'combo-filters'):

EasyList: 6,986,808
EasyElement: 364,311
EasyList + EasyElement combo subscription: 75,465
Liste Fr + EasyList combo subscription (France): 166,446
Corset + Easylist combo subscription (Korea): 72,786
RO List + Easylist combo subscription (Russia): 13,361
ABP Tracking Filter: 93,267

ps:
The above EasyList calculation numbers do NOT take into account the subscribers of the new "combo subscriptions" that also use the EasyList (shown above). I am still not sure whether they are included with the EasyList downloads or should be added to them (including my own with the EasyElement) ... so I didn't include that 350,000 or so hits in the calculations either.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Very nice detailed report. I like the you disclose exactly how you figured it. I think it's a huge (more then even we might suspect) underestimate , but you already know that and are being safe. And I applaud that as well. Nice job Rick!! Congrats on all your hard work.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Thanx, Dogg.

Better to be conservative than not. It's always nice to say, "at least" in numbers, rather than have someone like Wladimir write a blog named:
"EasyList - I call Bullsh*t" :smile:
*that was an article written by Wladimir about Filterset.g's stats claim.

No bullsh*t here! The numbers are copied straight from the server and are out there and explained clearly and no one has disputed them. I really believe that honesty is the best policy on the internet and I also believe that sincere honesty builds a user's faith in you, your product , and your words. Besides, I REALLY hate liars and thieves (like "Adblockplus for IE" and "Adblock Pro"). Tactics like that eventually becomes the path to self-destruction and total untrust . You only get one shot for credibility on the internet ... because news travels fast! :wink:

Btw, "Adblock Pro" STILL has NO members and NO posts in that forum. If it is within my power, I will destroy that kind of deception ... not only for the well-being of honest users, but ESPECIALLY when the deception "hits home" :evil:

(sorry for the rant. On second thought , no I'm not.... my forums, my rant :lol:
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

LOL Rick... No no "I call Bullsh*t" blogs can honestly be made. And I don't blame you for the rant.

btw, I haven't said it in a while (iirc) because I was saying it so much for a while I was worried I was starting to sound insincere, but thanks for all your hard work.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Thanx Dogg. I always appreciate the support :)
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

Yay! I just looked at the first full day of logs for the gzip-enabled filter list.

Same list, half the traffic - gotta love it :-)
I should've done that a long time ago.

And that monday just broke the 120,000 hits a day barrier 8)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

chewey wrote: And that monday just broke the 120,000 hits a day barrier 8)
People hate ads 8)
Stupid Head
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Stupid Head »

:shock: Wow, 1.35 million subscribers. I gotta start coming here more often to keep up with the news.
What, me worry?
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Stupid Head wrote::shock: Wow, 1.35 million subscribers. I gotta start coming here more often to keep up with the news.
Yes you do, Stu. Pretty amazing stuff hey? The forums have been getting a little busier than they were (I guess it's to be expected)

Glad to see you are still alive. I missed Spongebob's face. :D
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

June stats

Code: Select all

Subscription                Total Downloads    Previous month

EasyList 7,185,719 6,986,808
EasyElement 342,749 364,311
Liste_FR + Easylist 290,320 166,446
ABP Tracking Filter 139,805 93,267
EasyList + EasyElement 126,768 75,465
Corset + EasyList 121,633 72,786
RO_List + EasyList 21,176 13,361
June was a quiet growth month (one less day than last month for downloads, too). Most folks here in the northern hemisphere are probably just out enjoying the summer.

EasyList subscribers (without the 'combo subscription' numbers) moved up to about 1.36 million subscribers based on 7,185,719 download for the 30 days of June... that's up from around 1.35 million (again, I always feel that these numbers are underestimated).

The standalone EasyList increased again ... yet the standalone EasyElement decreased slightly. The EasyElement may be offset by the near doubling of the downloading of the 'EasyList + EasyElement combo' subscription.

All of the other subscriptions associated with the EasyList have made HUGE gains .... many almost doubling from last month. The ABP Tracking Filter is gaining steam too. It's just a matter of time before it gets as big as the EasyList , imho. :)
AmyRose
Site Member
Site Member

Post by AmyRose »

Dang, now I'm wishing I could use EasyList in Opera and Konqueror.

G's filters are the best for Konq (well, they're the most popular in Konq anyway), and I've found a couple for Opera. (Opera's adblocker seems to be like Konqueror's but without regexp support.)

I also have to say that G's filters work much better in Konq than in Adblock Plus. I'm guessing it has a better regexp processor.

But methinks it's time to bug the Konq devs to implement ABP's features cuz I want to use easylist there :P
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

AmyRose wrote: I also have to say that G's filters work much better in Konq than in Adblock Plus. I'm guessing it has a better regexp processor.
That probably has to do with the fact that simple expressions (like the EasyList) are probably not optimized in Kong like they are in ABP where large lists do not matter. This is one of the things that makes ABP's architecture vastly superior to all other adblockers. G's filters use many regexps which causes a large slowdown in processing in ABP.

Processing time in ABP:
EasyList (with whitelisting strings included) = 27ms.
G's filters (WITHOUT whitelisting strings included) - 64ms.

It has also been shown that if I could get rid of about a dozen of the necessary "less than 8 consecutive unbroken characters" strings in the EasyList, I could get the processing speed down to 19ms. Not bad considering I have almost 400 simple expressions in that filter. Wladimir encourage me to make the strings longer to qualify for those 'ABP shortcuts'. Funny that increasing the subscription size actually made it much faster. It used to be 50ms when the filter was half the size ... but was unoptimized.