I really suggest using the ABP development build

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I really suggest using the ABP development build

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir has a great development build right now (0.7.2.4+) but he is holding it back because I think he still wants to add more features as to release it as ABP 0.8. :)

I have been using this build for quite a while now and it actually seems to work better and more efficiently on Firefox and Seamonkey than the presently released 0.7.2.4.

But the BIGGEST feature upgrade in it is probably the most important one. The devel build not only shows & counts the regular blocked ads ... but it now shows and counts element hiding too! This is HUGE feature for troubleshooting or hiding your own elements .... it also makes it much easier for a subscriber to identify an EasyElement subscription or even there own problem.

I really think that everyone should be using that version as I have found no issues with it on either Firefox or Seamonkey. Works great! :D

It's here:
http://adblockplus.org/devbuilds/

(C'mon Wladimir ... when are you going to release at least 0.7.5?) :wink:
Last edited by rick752 on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

Heh, is this a way to try to accelerate the new ABP release? ;-)

But I agree, the devbuild works great.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

chewey wrote:Heh, is this a way to try to accelerate the new ABP release? ;-)
:twisted:
wantABP4TV

Post by wantABP4TV »

Hi Rick,

First time poster, long time reader of this forum and user of ABP with your Easy List/Easy Element subscriptions.

I really appreciate all of the hard work that you and the ABP team have done to make browsing the web with FF that much more enjoyable !

Now if you guys could come up with something like this to block ads in television I'd be in hog heaven. I'm really sick and tired of having to put up with 22 minutes of commercials during an one hour program. Remember the old days of CATV? :p

I digress.

Have some questions..

How does one go about replacing the currently installed ABP 0.7.2.4 with dev build 0.7.2.4+ so that you don't loose your option settings and hit counts? Do you have to copy some files from your profile then uninstall old
version/install new version and put said copied files back in your profile or what?

I've always updated ABP through FF's extension manager and never used a dev before so I'm not completely sure how to do this.

Now I know I should have probably asked these questions over at the adblockplus.org forum, but since you brought this subject up here, there
might be others reading this thread that are wondering the same thing.

Keep up the good work and thanks in advance,
wantABP4TV
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Having it for TV would be awesome. Too bad TV is not a computer, hey? :D

As far as the devel build goes, just click the link and it will install .... and your settings and counts will stay put.

Firefox will probably first give you a warning banner on the top of the page that "adblockplus.org is trying to install software". Just click the OPTIONS button on it and ALLOW 'adblockplus.org' ... then select the file again (you have to 'allow' the APB site). Installing the devel build is no different than any new update from any other extension.

If you are in the U.S., then install the US-English build, (the second one in the list).

And welcome to the forum :)