NoScript add-on disables unlisted ad scripts before they run

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
Erik Abranson

NoScript add-on disables unlisted ad scripts before they run

Post by Erik Abranson »

AdBlock only works when a filter rule is recorded in your Preferences. When visiting a Web site for the first time, it possible to be hit by unwanted ads. The most objectionable of all ads, that interfere with your reading or viewing, are those that flash, that wiggle, that have animations or sounds, or that start videos without your leave. Those sort of ads depend on scripts. Unfortunately, in my previous experience with AdBlock, they are also the ads most difficult to block, involving a fiddly procedure because the little "block" tab does not appear, and I found myself having to peruse through the list of scripts to identify and block the offending one(s). I can't describe more precisely the problem or how I coped with it because it is now a thing of the past for me, especially since a few minutes ago when I became aware of the shared filter lists, subscribed and joined this forum : I can no longer find a web page with ads :banana: to refresh my memory on how I groped to disable the ads that managed to get through and that require more than a simple "get lost!" click.

I solved inadvertently the problem of scripted ads a couple of months ago when I installed, for security reasons, the Firefox add-on NoScript. NoScript is promoted as a security gizmo. With it, scripts are disabled by default when you load a page or visit a site previously unvisited. It prevents the running of malicious scripts. Once the basic hyperlink text and static images are loaded, you can decide whether or not to enable the scripts physically located on the server of the URL displayed on the navigation bar, or all scripts on the whole page, including those in "redirected frames" (a common pathway for malicious scripts) -- or none. The permissions can be extended to the whole site and can be made temporary (for the current visit only) or permanent. "Redirected frames" also happen to be where aggressive flashing, animated, audio and video ads erupt on your screen, and so NoScript is also a very effective and easy way of avoiding such ads. As I said, in combination with Adblock, I find myself completely shielded from advertising even on pages where I have to allow some scripts :biggrin:
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

NoS..t? :-? :roll: :roll: (complete the word :arrow: only two letters are missing :idea: :D :D :D :D )

I don't like to talk about free software in this way :roll: it's because the whole category gets hurt..... :-? For this reason, i'm unusual to talk about NoScript!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :idea: :idea: :idea:
That's the reason why on my website (at the HONEY BEE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) i ain't suggesting it nor saying anything about that extension!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
By the way, in the past.... i wrote something about NoSCRIPT.... :idea: :idea: :?

I don't use that addon... it's nice, and the original idea behind it is great!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :idea: BTW, i would trust more a wasp (or an advertising agency :D :D ) than the author of NoScript!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :idea: :idea:

Long before anyone else........... :D :D i foresaw what was going on with noscript!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D i felt powered by magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :D :D :lol:
I wrote one article at the HONEY BEE'S HANGAR (?) -- the right place to rest your wings ... that was a nice place....... but it doesn't exist anymore :-? it has been replaced with the HONEY BEE NET and its forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

So, one day, that day, when a TROJAN/BACKDOOR has been introduced into NoScript.... i suddenly thought: i knew that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :idea: :idea:
http://honeybeenet.phpbb3now.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48

Installing NoScript? :?: :?: :?: No, but no thanks :idea: :idea: :roll:

NoNoScript it's a shame for free software!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :idea: :roll:

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
The bee is more honored than others, not because the bee labors, but because the bee labors for others.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

bee, that is an extreme view. The fact that the add-on is updated regularly is a good thing and does not make it, as this post would suggest, spyware. EasyList is changed daily yet you presumably trust it!

In addition, the author stated that he did not intentionally write any obfuscated code, although he accepted that "writing readable code may not be [his] primary skill".

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, Giorgio Maone apologised for his actions. He recognised that he had done something wrong and took steps to rectify the situation. There is little point in continuing to punish him for a mistake that he made nearly a year ago now.
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

Well, i well accept your views :idea: :idea: So, you're free to use it; but i don't want to run the risk to take a trojan via noscript :-? :idea: :idea:

I feel like i ain't wrong :D ... i think that the only reason why noscript has so many regular updates... it's because NoScript is going to open its author website after each update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :idea:
Wladimir Palant, in one article (also linked by my post -- the one located at my forumboard) said:
For example, it opens the changelog webpage (full of ads of course) on every single update of the extension, even though the NoScript FAQ claim that it happens only on major updates (yes, if you dig into it you will find the preference to disable this behavior – but how many people do that?). And updates coming roughly each week ensure that this page is opened fairly often
A problem is of course that NoScript will usually disable scripting and consequently also most advertising. That problem is being worked around by putting NoScript’s domains, Google AdSense and a few others on NoScript’s default whitelist
Well, Wladimir Palant is agree with me!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D (i can't say that i agree with him, because i wrote the same things he wrote, but i did it long before him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D ).

EasyList is updated daily too, but it doesn't open a page of white-listed ADS after every update!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I lost all my trust for NoScript, it has been categorized as `malware' by plenty of people (it isn't just me!!!!!) :-? but it's a great addon.... i just fear to get another backdoored-update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :surprised: :surprised: :D and i don't like its too regular updates neither :D :D :idea:

My second point.... and i really feel bad to talk about this.... is about AMO :roll: Weren't they supposed to check addons to avoid virii and malwares? :D :D :?: Sure, who's driving the controls at AMO is sleeping at the wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :idea:
They allowed a sooo suspicious addon to contain a trojan and to carry through it an evil code :surprised: :-? :-? :?: this isn't a good point for them neither!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :idea: :D

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
The bee is more honored than others, not because the bee labors, but because the bee labors for others.

Post by Guest »

i've always hated noscript's developer--if you want sth similar use RequestPolicy
Alan Baxter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alan Baxter »

Erik Abranson wrote:I can't describe more precisely the problem or how I coped with it because it is now a thing of the past for me, especially since a few minutes ago when I became aware of the shared filter lists, subscribed and joined this forum : I can no longer find a web page with ads...
Cool! I'm so glad for you that you've discovered EasyList, Erik. The web without intrusive advertising is much more enjoyable and easy to use.
NoScript is also a very effective and easy way of avoiding such ads. As I said, in combination with Adblock, I find myself completely shielded from advertising even on pages where I have to allow some scripts :biggrin:
Yes! Adblock Plus with EasyList/Privacy & NoScript make quite a one-two punch against ads and malware. NoScript is designed to give Adblock Plus first crack at blocking unwanted content, then NoScript blocks all remaining active content such as scripts and plugins by default. You get to decide which sites, if any, are allowed to run any active content that Adblock Plus lets through.

Using NoScript to block ads didn't give me enough fine control. Using NoScript to block ads often blocked essential content too. I've discovered some ad/tracking domains such as doubleclick.net and revsci.net need to be allowed in NoScript for some of the sites I use to work properly. Thanks to Adblock Plus, I feel free to permanently allow those sites in NoScript and rely on Adblock Plus to block the ads and script-based trackers. Now NoScript can concentrate on what it's best at: blocking malware.
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

Alan's post is very true!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :idea:

I've to add that I never hated the developer of noscript!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :idea: Actually, i think that he's a very good software developer and he's also a very funny person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D This pic is so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :biggrin: :idea: YEAH!!! I don't hate him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

I think that he's a sick person!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o the bacteria of an extreme capitalism have infected him too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :surprised: :surprised: And, for this reason, i can't trust him further :roll:
He was enough infected to turn also his addon into a virus (another bacterium)!!!!!!!!!! :surprised: :D :D
Has he learnt his lesson :?: :?: no of course he hasn't :!: He apologized for his actions and he withdrew the backdoor out of NoScript, but his behavior (about pushing updates and banners) is the same of before :-? So, i feel like he isn't trustworthy :arrow: seriously he could do that again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll:

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

I've used NoScript in my more paranoid past but after some time surfing the web became tiresome (even more so than having to check each new web page for EL filter opportunities :P). I still use NoScript with globally activated scripts for the Anti-XSS and ClearClick stuff but once Firefox gets this functionality merged into its core I'll have little reason to continue using NoScript.
Zombie Contributor
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

bee wrote:So, i feel like he isn't trustworthy :arrow: seriously he could do that again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll:
I just linked this news with NoScript :D :D :D :idea:
http://darkreading.com/blog/archives/20 ... addon.html :surprised: (it's one month old, not one year :roll: :D :D )
FlashGot and NoScript have been made by the same company, it's InformAction :surprised: :idea: :idea:

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D