Link exchanges

Discussion of EasyList subscription policy
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Link exchanges

Post by Michael »

The definition of "advert" recently been discussed and it has been found that in its current form it encompasses link exchanges ("the reciprocal provision of small site logos for no other benefit" for the time being). As it does not seem possible to neutrally exclude link exchanges from the definition of adverts, it has been proposed by Tarun that it is not worthwhile removing such content given the large number of domains which use the link exchanges and their comparatively unobtrusive nature. What is the opinion of the community with regard to this potential modification?
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

I agree on that (unless they are intrusive).
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

There haven't been any objections; I will therefore post an article on this topic, the definition of an advert, and the "new" policy forum within a week.
Ares2
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Ares2 »

As far as I'm concerned, I only find such links acceptable if they are:

1. Unobtrusive: Ideally text-only, but I guess small static first-party images are tolerable
2. Clearly identifiable as external, additional links and placed in a way that indicates this (not taking away space from the content, etc.). Ideally placed in the sidebar or below the content.
3. Tracking free: No third-party server involved to serve the links/images or to track clicks (commercial link exchange) and also a clean link to the destination site in general that doesn't have 1001 tracking parameters added
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

Agreed, I will amend the post accordingly.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »