EasyList and EasyPrivacy Policy

Discussion of EasyList subscription policy
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

EasyList and EasyPrivacy Policy

Post by Michael »

I have now realised that my previous attempt to write down the subscription policies was flawed because of the over-emphasis on technical and unnecessary details. I have therefore attempted to simplify them in preparation for the website and would appreciate feedback.
EasyList policy
  • EasyList filters must remove adverts, although it is acceptable for them to incidentally remove tracking.
  • Evidence should be provided that filters need to be added to the subscription.
  • Filters should only be added for English websites; supplements support other languages.
    • If it is not feasible for a supplement to override EasyList filters should be added to the primary subscription.
    • Languages for which there are no supplements may have issues resolved in EasyList; however, these filters should ideally be transferred to another subscription.
  • Domains specifically serving adverts should be blocked on all third-party websites.
  • Filters must be as efficient as possible.
  • Self-promotion should not be specifically removed by EasyList, although equally should not be whitelisted if it is blocked.
  • Specific filters should only added if a substantial amount of advertising is removed by its inclusion.
  • Only element rules based on id or class should be applied to all domains, unless there are exceptional circumstances.
  • Consistently problematic filters should be removed from the subscription.
  • Anti-Adblock should only be challenged if the system limits website functionality or causes significant disruption to browsing.
  • Adverts must be blocked regardless of the reasons for their presence or the purpose that the money raised ultimately serves.
  • Whitelists should specific enough to avoid protecting unwanted items.
EasyPrivacy policy
  • EasyPrivacy filters must remove tracking.
  • Evidence should be provided that filters need to be added to the subscription.
  • Domains specifically serving tracking should be blocked on all third-party websites.
  • Filters must be as efficient as possible.
  • Counters will be treat such as tracking services.
  • Filters for first-party trackers should only be added if the items blocked collect a significant amount of personal data.
  • Consistently problematic filters should be removed from the subscription.
  • Whitelists should specific enough to avoid protecting unwanted items.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

I have updated EasyList policy to explain how filters for non-English domains should be considered.

The subscription policies have just been added to the EasyList website.