Counter policy

Discussion of EasyList subscription policy
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Counter policy

Post by Erunno »

I would like to discuss about our policy concerning various counter services on the Internet. Counters are mostly harmless third party services that, well, count page impressions. Usually they don't track users individually (and if they do they are added to EP anyway). Counters were added occasionally in the past on a case by case (i.e. gut feeling) policy but MonztA recently made me aware of a site which features about a dozen of counters. I would like to hear the opinion of the other list maintainers if these counters should be blocked or left alone as many other third-party services?

I haven't made fully made up my mind yet. Knowing our ad-hating audience I'm slightly in favor of blocking them as I doubt that the counters are of any interest to our user base.
Zombie Contributor
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

I should imagine that few people subscribed to EasyPrivacy would want their presence transmitted to a third-party domain, even if it is just notification that a page was viewed. I would therefore opt to treat all such counters as tracking services.
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

Michael wrote:I would therefore opt to treat all such counters as tracking services.
This.

They can see their page impressions via internal stats so third-party counters should be blocked imo.
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

It's decided then. *grinds his ad axe*
Zombie Contributor
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

:banana:

:mrgreen:
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

Zombie Contributor
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

MonztA wrote:They can see their page impressions via internal stats so third-party counters should be blocked imo.
I agree totally with MonztA! So, Good call Erunno.