Slow filter elimination

Discussion of EasyList subscription policy
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Slow filter elimination

Post by Erunno »

Currently we "feature" 7 unoptimized filters (4 in EP, 3 in ELG). I would like to get rid of them for both practical reasons (performance) and because they are simply bad for marketing.

I would like to propose to change some filters to be little bit more specific so that ABP can create shortcuts for them:

EP:
||estat.com^$third-party to ||prof.estat.com^$third-party (example page)
||stats.de^$third-party to ||js.stats.de^$third-party (example page)
||pstats.com^$third-party to ||pstats.com/scripts/stats.asp?$third-party (example page)

||track.*.yahoo.com^ is also a culprit but I couldn't find a site where the filter is actually triggered yet. Can anybody provide one? Otherwise I'd say that we delete the filter and try to find a better one should it be reported again.

We would leave the filters in their respective sections, of course.

ELG:
_werbung. to /bg_mnav_werbung. (example page)

Also I would like to merge ||doubleclick.net^*;sz=$object_subrequest,third-party,domain=ehrensenf.com|ehrensenf.de|finanzen.net|game-tv.com|golem.de|myspass.de|n-tv.de|smash247.com|sport1.de|teleboerse.de|zeit.de into its EasyList sibling.

MonztA provided me with a site where /werbung/* is triggered with his list, but EL already has a filter which covers the ads as well. I'd propose this one for deletion as well. (example page)

Ares2 was against the changes in the past but he's AWOL currently so his opinion is moot ;-). The user experience should take priority before considerations of clinging to syntactic purity in individual sections.

Opinions?
Zombie Contributor
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

I would change the "^" on the end of the inefficient EasyPrivacy filters to a "/" instead; this is already done for shorter domain names and would result in:

Code: Select all

||estat.com/$third-party
||stats.de/$third-party
||pstats.com/$third-party
However, I would be keen to find a page where ||track.*.yahoo.com^ is used before adjusting the filter.

I consider EasyList Germany to be out of my control due to my ignorance of the language; however, I would oppose merging the DoubleClick filter with the one in EasyList. No other supplementary subscription would have that opportunity.
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

Michael wrote:I would change the "^" on the end of the inefficient EasyPrivacy filters to a "/" instead; this is already done for shorter domain names and would result in:

||estat.com/$third-party
||stats.de/$third-party
Will this help to get rid of the slow filters? If yes, feel free to make the changes.
I consider EasyList Germany to be out of my control due to my ignorance of the language; however, I would oppose merging the DoubleClick filter with the one in EasyList. No other supplementary subscription would have that opportunity.
It really depends on our the policy. We could easily offer this opportunity to supplemental subscriptions should they encounter slow filters due to redundancy with EasyList. ELG was just proposed for practical purposes since it's under our control and does not require any communication overhead with other list maintainers.
Zombie Contributor
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

Removed /werbung/* from ELG. The only mention of this particular filter in the forum pointed to tape.tv where the filter does not apply anymore.
Zombie Contributor
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

Modified filters to (https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/d7ae49c3a3e7)

||stats.de/$third-party
||estat.com/$third-party
EasyList has at least 11 different supplements for a variety of languages. I am therefore keen that it remains the base and only the base regardless of hash conflicts.

One alternative is that the "^" could be replaced with a "/" in the EasyList Germany DoubleClick filter. The Adblock Plus algorithm means that this single additional character ensures that the rule will be efficient, as it has a different hash.
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

We're down to 2 slow filters across all of our maintained lists. Changing the separator character does not help with the Doubleclick filters in ELG unfortunately but once the yahoo filter in EP is modified/deleted out huge American user base will at least not be affected by slow filters anymore (of which most don't use EP anway). 1 slow filter with ELG installed looks like an acceptable compromise.
Zombie Contributor
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

I have now removed ||track.*.yahoo.com^ from EasyPrivacy; it appears to have been a redundant filter (https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/78a1c33b25b2).
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

What about this fellow?

||yahoo.*/b?p=$third-party
Zombie Contributor
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

Modified to (https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/4f4b131d016a)

||yahoo.com/b?p=$third-party
I think that means that there are no further inefficient filters in EasyList or EasyPrivacy.
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

Indeed, it does. :D :D :D
Zombie Contributor