Suggestions in the Suggestions forum [Done]

Discussion of EasyList subscription policy
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Suggestions in the Suggestions forum [Done]

Post by Erunno »

Novel idea: How about we move all the filter suggestions to the respective public forums (or at least don't add new ones here)? Whatever purpose it had posting suggestions here (and it was little imo) now that the repository is publicly accessible there's none left. Having all the filter suggestions which belong together in one place will not only make it easier to find duplicate topics but also make detours to this desolate corner of lanik.us less often necessary. ;-)
Zombie Contributor
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

To my knowledge the purpose of the private forum was never to conceal the filters being used. The subscriptions here always have been and, I hope, always will be publicly viewable regardless of the method through which we update them. The primary advantage of the hidden forum is that it prevents a site from pre-empting us. We can discuss the blocking strategies knowing that, at least for a short while, they will work. It is also far easier for the "enemy" to find out about the filter we will apply to a site in a forum, where everything is helpfully grouped by the web address, than trawling through the thousands of filters in EasyList and EasyPrivacy in an attempt to evade them.

The other advantage is that it allows us to complete important discussions about particular sites with only those who have some experience at advert blocking. In the public forum there may be some interjections that, however well intentioned, are completely irrelevant to the topic.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

There is also the talk about sites that the filers discussed were NOT added to the easylist and therefor the only place to see them would be in the forums. There are many that are not added because of to many FP's but are in the forums for people to use if they see fit. Just a thought.
Ares2
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Ares2 »

Erunno wrote:Novel idea: How about we move all the filter suggestions to the respective public forums
I think we should do that... but only after we are done with all the pending suggestions. And some "sensitive" topics (like those with anti-anti-abp talk) should stay here imo.
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

@Michael

Assuming that an advertisers or site maintainers are interested if they are targeted or affected by EasyList, they just have to refresh EasyList. In my opinion it is rather irrelevant if someone is targeted directly or is just "collateral damage" of a general filter, as in the end they'll probably care about the outcome and initiate counteractive measures anyway if they deem it a problem.

I didn't suggest to move discussions about anti-blocking measures or any other important topics out of this forum, but looking just at the front page there are several direct suggestions which do not require any discussion and could have been posted in the suggestions forum as well.
Zombie Contributor
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

I have started moving the topics that contain little or no discussion to the public forums. I have also created a sticky to notify users of the situation.
Alan Baxter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alan Baxter »

I never would have seen the sticky if you hadn't mentioned it here. More of its intended audience will see it if it is here in the PVT forum. Or at least make this topic a sticky.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

I have marked this topic as a sticky and have added the [In Progress] part.
Alan Baxter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alan Baxter »

Thanks, Michael.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

In case anyone is interested (especially other moderators who wish to assist) I think that I have moved the most obvious candidates (topics with two posts and no discussion) and have completely checked the first page. Already the number of topics in the private forum has dropped by several hundred!
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

This is as much a note to myself as it is to others, but I have now read and sorted the first two and a quarter pages (approximately). Around 500 topics have been moved thus far.

[Edit]
The first three pages have now been verified.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

I have now sorted the entire private forum and have moved out approximately two-thirds of the content; any topics in the wrong place they should be reported in this thread. I will therefore mark this as complete and update the public sticky.