Proposal: Whitelist RFC1918 Addresses

Discussion of EasyList subscription policy
cros13
Site Member
Site Member

Proposal: Whitelist RFC1918 Addresses

Post by cros13 »

I'd like to propose whitelisting RFC1918 addresses.

As these are usually trusted systems on a private network I don't think it makes a huge amount of sense to look for ads in these pages.

In fact I've noticed blocking of some page elements on various pieces of software I use (SickBeard and Observium broke completely)

I did a search and I couldn't seem to find a similar proposal on the matter. Interested to hear what people think.
Famlam
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by Famlam »

It's true that it is unlikely for ads to be present on these domains, but it's not impossible. I also doubt the usefulness of such a global whitelist. Except for the fact that it'd require a terrible rule set to whitelist those sets of addresses in the list, I think the impact of an global whitelist from our side is larger (as for the few ads that are present in whatever page on those addresses, it would require the user to have knowledge on how to identify and disable the whitelist filter, in order to unwhitelist them), than the impact of a user that has to whitelist some pages, which can be done very quickly via the menu of ABP.

That said, I'd like to suggest to create an issue report for the two pieces of software you mention (and post the links here please), so we can fix those specific problems.