Question about forum search feature

General forum information, announcements, news, questions and suggestions.
eighty5cacao
Contributor
Contributor

Question about forum search feature

Post by eighty5cacao »

I am typing mlb.com (in exactly that manner) into this forum's search box and getting no results, even though I know there was at least one topic about that site in the last year or so.
Is this to be expected - possibly because the search feature treats "mlb" and "com" as separate words, which are individually too short? Could this be resolved using advanced search? Or is the search index corrupted somehow?

Is there an existing or planned sticky topic on the limitations of the search feature?

(My specific problem has nothing to do with the host's phishing protection, but that should also be mentioned in any such sticky topic.)
Currently not very active on this forum
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

The forum software (phpBB) only records ("indexes") strings longer than three characters, although it is possible to search for "mlb*", as the wildcard ensures that the indexed string is at least four characters. However, upon conducting this search, the only topic I could find about mlb.com dates from April 2008.
eighty5cacao
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eighty5cacao »

Ok. Sorry to inconvenience you, and sorry for my factual error (I apologize for overstating my confidence as to when the topic was posted).

I am not experiencing any problems with the mlb.com site. Note that www.mlb.com currently redirects to mlb.mlb.com.

So what are the plans for documenting the search feature's limitations? Or are we expected to look somewhere on the official phpBB website?
Currently not very active on this forum
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

eighty5cacao wrote:So what are the plans for documenting the search feature's limitations? Or are we expected to look somewhere on the official phpBB website?
There is no official documentation for the limitations of the search, but the problem has previously been discussed in the forum. As it only affects a minority of users, I think that the occasional topic about the limitation should be sufficient.