Reputation Upvote System

General forum information, announcements, news, questions and suggestions.
gotitbro
Postaholic
Postaholic

Reputation Upvote System

Post by gotitbro »

I just noticed that when I click on the upvote button on posts its giving me options of voting in points. This was not the case earlier when I could just upvote with leaving a comment.

How does this system work?

This is what I currently see:

I only used to get a comment box with no reputation points earlier.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

The points system is called reputation power:
Reputation power is something that users earn and spend on voting. New users have low power, active and veteran users gain more power. The more power you have the more you can vote during a specified period of time and the more influence you can have on the rating of another user or post. Users can choose during voting how much power they will spend on a vote, giving more points to interesting posts.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
gotitbro
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by gotitbro »

That's interesting. Is this part of the new version of phpBB or added through an extension? Also, how can this help on the forum here?
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Prevents new users from just upvoting every freaking post they find on this site, just because they feel like it. New users would have to contribute something or wait to gain any more points.

Now you can only vote once in 12 hours and with 1 point per vote now (changed it now after I saw your screenshot).
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

Lanik wrote:Prevents new users from just upvoting ...

Now you can only vote once in 12 hours ...
It's beter, few days ago i've already notify someone about that http://i.imgur.com/kmPbgNt.png
•► Read RULES / Use forum Search
••► Don't post clickable links
•••►Upload screenshots at imgbb.com
gotitbro
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by gotitbro »

Lanik wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:16 am Now you can only vote once in 12 hours and with 1 point per vote now (changed it now after I saw your screenshot).
Will the voting power increase (how many points I want to give at one go) as reputation increases?
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

gotitbro wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:35 am Will the voting power increase (how many points I want to give at one go) as reputation increases?
No that stays constant. You can only give 1 point to every user now. I see no reason to give folks any more than a single upvote. It conveys the message you're trying to get across and stops the abuse. And yes it's an extension that allows you guys to thank the list maintainers/contributors if you so desire.

I'm subject to the same rules everyone else is. I can't run around the site an upvote everyone's post either I would have to wait until I have more "power". :mrgreen:
gotitbro
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by gotitbro »

Okay that sums it up, one last question the upvote or "reputation power points" are they deducted from the reputation? Also, no downvote system, only positive votes?
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

If you get a warning from a moderator yes you'll lose some points.

Yes no down votes as it creates animosity between the members as evidenced in another forum I belong to.
-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by -Mark- »

Lanik wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:49 am Yes no down votes as it creates animosity between the members as evidenced in another forum I belong to.
Yes, keep that off as trolls and haters would love to abuse that too. I have seen that abused on another forum I used to visit. No need to give them another weapon to spread their hatred.