Please help understanding new "Accept this answer" feature

General forum information, announcements, news, questions and suggestions.
barbaz
Postaholic
Postaholic

Please help understanding new "Accept this answer" feature

Post by barbaz »

I've noticed that on topics I've started, there is (when I log in) an "Accept this answer" button on every post in the thread. Mouse hover over it shows it points to "/topicsolved/mark/solved/[topic-number]".
What does that button do exactly, are there any guidelines for when it should be clicked (or is that totally up to the thread starter?), and is it possible for me to undo the action it performs in the event that I mis-click or an issue becomes "unsolved"?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT I see that it doesn't show up for this thread - I guess it only applies to threads in the actual filter-subscription-related forums...
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

This is mainly for the filter maintainers (mods) or OP. The purpose is to mark the thread solved/resolved/handled etc. Clicking it once will mark the post as the "accepted answer" and mark the thread solved with a check mark. It's only available to the OP and the mods and clicking it once will mark the thread solved (accepted answer whatever you want to call it) and clicking it again will undo that action.

And yes as you have already noticed its a per forum setting. Right now I'm trying it out on a few forums to see how it goes. If it gets abused too much I might have to restrict it to mods only.

I was going to put up something today but looks like there is no getting anything past you. :)
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
barbaz
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by barbaz »

Thanks Lanik, that answers almost all my questions.

So as an OP, when do I decide a thread is resolved? Is this totally up to me, or are there specific guidelines (e.g. when a filterlist author has committed working filter(s) to the list, when someone like intense suggests a working filter, or ...)? Or in general should I ignore that button & let EasyList authors to deal with it as they see fit? Or what?
(Looking at existing marked-solved threads is giving me mixed messages.)
Lanik wrote:I was going to put up something today but looks like there is no getting anything past you. :)
Yes I like to know what every button does but I don't want to "just try it" when I'm not working in a disposable environment ;-)
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

So far I've only been marking checked threads that have actually gotten committed into the filter list. I haven't come up with any guidelines on how to use it. For now you're welcome to use it but I would want to hear from the EasyList Authors if they find it helpful etc.
barbaz
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by barbaz »

Cool, so I'll keep watching this thread, and assume that if someone does come up with guidelines for when/what OPs mark threads as solved, that person will be a list author & they'll post in this thread at that time. For now I'll just decide on my own what constitutes "solved" for threads I start that haven't already been marked solved by a list author or you. 8)
terrorist96
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by terrorist96 »

Hopefully this will make it easier to navigate unresolved threads.
If a mod marks it as solved, but the change doesn't resolve the problem (for example, it fixes it on FF but not Chrome), does the OP have the ability to override and mark it as 'not solved'?
uBlock Origin extension;
Chrome 64 bit;
Subscription Lists: Default.
barbaz
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by barbaz »

Oh, and one other question: is it intended that *any* not-logged-in user can mark *any* thread started by an unregistered user as solved/unsolved? :-?
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

terrorist96 wrote:Hopefully this will make it easier to navigate unresolved threads.
If a mod marks it as solved, but the change doesn't resolve the problem (for example, it fixes it on FF but not Chrome), does the OP have the ability to override and mark it as 'not solved'?
Only the OP and/or mod can mark threads solved/unsolved etc. Any user not logged in has no way of using this feature.
barbaz wrote:Oh, and one other question: is it intended that *any* not-logged-in user can mark *any* thread started by an unregistered user as solved/unsolved? :-?
See above.

Here are all the options available for this:
Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 10.28.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 10.28.55 AM.png (82.74 KiB) Viewed 6367 times
barbaz
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by barbaz »

Lanik wrote:Any user not logged in has no way of using this feature.
Well I asked because I see those buttons in threads started by unregistered users if I browse the forum while not logged in... and I think I might have just accidentally used it on the OP of viewtopic.php?f=62&t=25050 while trying to log in & somehow mis-clicked... now to log out & un-do that, sorry :oops:

add:
I've just confirmed all of the above, and I was indeed able to fix my mistake & set that thread back to un-solved after logging out.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

barbaz wrote:Well I asked because I see those buttons in threads started by unregistered users if I browse the forum while not logged in... and I think I might have just accidentally used it on the OP of viewtopic.php?f=62&t=25050 while trying to log in & somehow mis-clicked... now to log out & un-do that, sorry :oops:
No worries you haven't done anything wrong. I checked the thread and all looks good.

It looks like a bug in the extension I used for this feature. I haven't tried clicking it though. I'll do some more testing and report it as a bug.

It also looks like this is going to have to remain a MOD only feature until this issue gets resolved.