Scheduled MySQL Upgrade by My Hosting Provider

General forum information, announcements, news, questions and suggestions.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Scheduled MySQL Upgrade by My Hosting Provider

Post by LanikSJ »

I received the following note from my hosting provider. Be advised the forum maybe down and/or unavailable at any time during the upgrade window.
As part of our commitment to provide quality web hosting services, we have scheduled an upgrade of MySQL (to version 5.5) on your server, which hosts lanik.us, this weekend. We encourage you to please read the details below carefully:

Scheduled Date and Time:
Saturday, August 16th, 2014 @ 12:00 AM EDT (00:00 EDT)

Maintenance Window:
10-12 Hours

Datacenter Location:
Orlando.DC2

Maintenance Type:
In order to improve performance and stability, we will be upgrading the version of MySQL on your server, to version 5.5. The differences between the current version on the server (5.0) and what we will be upgrading to are for the most part simply performance upgrades, particularly with InnoDB. As it stands, all of the major CMS software supports MySQL 5.5 so there should be no issues there with compatibility (unless you are using some custom coding which we recommend you upgrade to ensure it is compatible with 5.5).

Estimated Downtime:
We understand the importance of minimal downtime while performing maintenance and for this reason we will do everything we can to expedite the procedure. While the upgrade should be completed within 6-10 hours, we are putting a 12 hour maintenance window to allow some time just in case there are delays. During this window the server will not be going down, however you may notice service interruptions for applications using MySQL and PHP throughout the duration of the procedure
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."