If you've been sent to this forum because one of the sites you're browsing has no images please see this.
If you're not sure if the site you're browsing is affected by this please check the link above.

How to shoot yourself in the foot, Creative Labs-style

Hardware and software discussion.

Moderator: EasyList authors

The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

How to shoot yourself in the foot, Creative Labs-style

Post by The Masked Marauder » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:51 pm

After waiting over a year for Creative Labs to release working Vista drivers for their sound cards, Daniel_K took it upon himself to mod their drivers and make them work right. The "pointy-haired bosses" who run Creative got their panties all in a twist and shut him down, including deleting his posts on Creative's support forums. In return, they got a firestorm of complaints about Creative's inability/unwillingness to produce fully functional drivers, along with a crapload of ill-will from customers. Check out the thread started by Phil O'Shaughnessy, VP Corporate Communications at Creative:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs ... ing&page=1

This is what happens when you let the Marketing department run a technology company.... :roll: I won't be buying or recommending any Creative Labs products in the foreseeable future.

Lanik
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Lanik » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:46 pm

Creative always sucked with driver support it was the same story with Windows XP drivers. I haven't seen many cards that have the compatibility of Creative but then again every motherboard comes with built in sounds just about. I didn't even buy a sound card when I was building my new machine. Its not running Windows btw either. ;)
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:28 pm

Only Creative thing I've bought of theirs in years is a MP3 player. I never was a big fan of their sound cards. Only ever had one of them my whole life, it was all I ever needed to try. iirc. But I'm not a audiophile myself. If I can hear it and it sounds decent I'm good.

chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:00 am

Creative makes really good hardware. But for some reason I don't understand,
they don't seem to get that drivers are equally important. And as driver suckage
still goes on over half a decade after the release of windows XP, I stopped
recommending their stuff. It's a real pity.