Database driven desktop notification 'widget'

Hardware and software discussion.
rbsterli

Database driven desktop notification 'widget'

Post by rbsterli »

Has anyone ever seen any type of application like this? ... I would like to build or download something that I can use a PHP interface to a MySQL database, or even a TEXT or XLS file, etc. located on a server that will display the results preferrably something like BGInfo does. Maybe even an RSS feed. I'm sure I could rig that up!

I'm not sure yet whether I want a floating or dockable widget type application or just some text that overlays the user's current wallpaper.

I'd like to have a simple admin interface to be able to update and sort/display the data. It will be a background message/notification system that will always be available on the user's desktop. Of course, it would be nice if I could display certain messages for certain users, which I know would be *possible* but I'm looking for something simple. It just seems so easy, I know I can make the back end, I just need a way to display this information dynamically on the user's desktop. I've even been looking deeper into jabber clients but again, they need to be opened by the user and the messages are more like what they are intended for - instant notifications.

I really want something to display right on the desktop that maybe gets changed a couple times a week. Just thoughts at this point. Any ideas? BGInfo works well but I have no way to fire it off every 30 minutes without really irritating the user - or me!

TIA!
orph4824
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by orph4824 »

I've used firedaemon before it can run thing in the background I use it to run my MRTG setup and could possibly get it to update bginfo which I've used before lemme experiment and I'll get back with ya.
Life's 3 rules: 1. Stuff happens 2. Stuff happens on a regular basis 3. Better get used to the first two... (not the actual saying but you get the drift)
orph4824
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by orph4824 »

Downloaded the most recent version from SysInternals/MS and have tried to get it setup as a scheduled task in windows(trying to avoid using firedaemon so that you wouldn't have to use it)

I could run it manually from task manager but wouldn't with a 1min interval as a test. Next I'll set it to run in firedaemon. The command to run/mod/close immediately is "c:\windows\Bginfo.exe /timer:0 /silent" (thats where I extracted it so it would be on the environment path) I'll post a follow up abit late after dinner.

*UPDATE*

Ok tried it in firedaemon and it works, the only problem now is I have to refresh(f5) the desktop after it has run... atleast in windows task scheduler it was refreshing the desktop on its own... Still experimenting...

Just had another thought. Why not use an active desktop window it could be set to poll via mysqladmin then refresh at whatever interval youd like.
Life's 3 rules: 1. Stuff happens 2. Stuff happens on a regular basis 3. Better get used to the first two... (not the actual saying but you get the drift)