NY Giants ... 2008 Super Bowl Champions!

Discussion of news of interest or importance.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

NY Giants ... 2008 Super Bowl Champions!

Post by rick752 »

Congratulations to the NY Giants

The 2008 NFL SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!!

Eli Manning named MVP.
Goodbye to the New England's Patriots' undefeated season. Awesome game!
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

It was indeed! I was not as shocked as most of the world was. I watched them play ever game after the last game of the season against New England and something had changed with them. They felt they could beat anyone after that game and they beat the best teams in the NFL on the road to win it all. They earned every bit of that victory. And while everyone said this was a historic game, I agreed but not for the same reason everyone else thought. NY made their own HISTORY!!! Congrats...even if they did beat my Cowboys on the way..I'm happy for them.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

I'm not a fan of either team I might add but the game was great. NE just got out played at their own game. And what was funny to me is NE coach can't even take it like a man and bolts after a brief hand shake. Nice ... sore looser. I'm glad Giants won I didn't want to see another NE championship.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

I really don't get american football ;-) (*hidingdeepandhardtofind*)
But then, I'm one of those crazy people watching curling, snooker and bowls.

It's nice to see at least one round based sport to be followed by so many.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Sorry about that, Chewey.

I will give the non-American viewers a quick recap of this:

"Super Bowl Sunday" is pretty much an unofficial holiday and a big event in the U.S.
American Football (the league is known as the "NFL") is the equivalent of soccer here as far as fan intensity goes. We love our football here and our football teams. :D

The Super Bowl is the NFL's championship game. It culminates a regular season where each team plays 16 games, followed by one-game eliminations between the 12 best teams. The Super Bowl is the final game between the last two surviving teams.
What made this one so special, though, was that the New England Patriots had played a dominant, undefeated season going 18-0 with only one more game to go ... the Super Bowl. It would be only the second time in NFL history that a team ever had a perfect, undefeated season. Because the Patriots had been so dominate in their wins, they were being hailed as "the greatest team ever" in American Football history. All they had to do was win the Super Bowl against what everyone considered a 'vastly inferior' New York Giants team that had managed to 'survive' their playoff rounds. The mediocre Giants managed to get themselves in the playoffs as a very low seed... but then almost 'magically' actually beat 3 teams that were seeded higher then themselves ... and had to do it playing in the other team's home stadium for all 3. But fans & analysts alike figured that the 'magic' would all come crashing down when the Giants had to play the legendary Patriots. After all, NOTHING was going to stand in the way of the Patriot's perfect season ... they were the dominant team of destiny, right?

To make a long story short, the 9th-seeded & heavily-underdog Giants were expected to lose handily to the 'mighty' Patriots. But they once again played a very tough, hard-fought game against them .... and then absolutely stunned the entire football world (and the Patriots) by taking the lead and beating the Patriots with only 35 seconds left in the game after the Patriots had taken the lead just 2 minutes before.

It was a fantastically-played, incredibly amazing display of heart and determination by the NY Giants. It had all the drama of a "Rocky" movie. Definitely one of those kind of games that you talk about for weeks ..... and bring up again every year after year.

Not just a great game ... but a great game with great drama. :wink:

ps:
For any fans that don't know, Sunday's Super Bowl has gone into the U.S. television record books as the
#2 "Most Watched" television show of ALL TIME!!!
(Final episode of "Mash" is still #1)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

For anyone who isn't tired of seeing one of the greatest escapes and catches. This WAS the "play of the game".

3rd down and 5 with 1:15 left in the game ... Giants trailing 14-10. The Manning to Tyree "miracle":
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8067d05e

To those who don't understand ... if this pass and catch isn't made, the game is probably over for the Giants. The ball cannot touch the ground until the receiver has full control of it. (I really don't even think that the ball even touched the ground anyway)

Held against his helmet on the way down ... and then grabbed and controlled while the defender is ripping at his arm and he comes down and is bent backwards over the defender's knee. One for the all-time highlight reels.
kyakruu

Post by kyakruu »

It would be only the second time in NFL history that a team ever had a perfect, undefeated season. Because the Patriots had been so dominate in their wins, they were being hailed as "the greatest team ever" in American Football history. All they had to do was win the Super Bowl against what everyone considered a 'vastly inferior' New York Giants team that had managed to 'survive' their playoff rounds. The mediocre Giants managed to get themselves in the playoffs as a very low seed... but then almost 'magically' actually beat 3 teams that were seeded higher then themselves ... and had to do it playing in the other team's home stadium for all 3. But fans & analysts alike figured that the 'magic' would all come crashing down when the Giants had to play the legendary Patriots. After all, NOTHING was going to stand in the way of the Patriot's perfect season ... they were the dominant team of destiny, right?