Error with Google Analytics [n/a]

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
LorenzoC

Error with Google Analytics [n/a]

Post by LorenzoC »

Hello.
I've found The "trackers" list triggers an error in the FF Error Console about the Google Analytics JS, at the urchinTracker(); row.

To get rid of the error I had to unsubscribe the list, since simply disabling the "analytics rule" in the list (with the green sphere) doesn't change anything.

Regards.
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

That's not an error you should worry about - in fact, this is intended.

This is just the webpage's JS code trying to use a function defined in urchin.js - this won't work of course, because urchin.js is not loaded.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

@LorenzoC:

This will happen a lot in the js console when a script is called but is blocked. Just goes to show you that scripts ARE actually "blocked at the source" in ABP. :wink:
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

Ok I understand it better now.
You stop the script from loading then you call it from the page, error.
Looks like it can't be fixed unless you re-write the page code instead of simply blocking the JS.

Maybe It could be an idea to put a notice somewhere warning you MUST disable ADBlock whenever you are debugging a webpage.

Maybe it could be another idea to put a check in Firebug to see if AdBlock is enabled.

Thanks, regards.

Post by Guest »

LorenzoC wrote:Maybe It could be an idea to put a notice somewhere warning you MUST disable ADBlock whenever you are debugging a webpage.
Does ADB really need this feature? To me, it falls under the heading of "no duh". As a web page designer, it is your responsibility to make sure that no blocking or filter is occurring in your browser (unless you're testing to see what effect that has on your pages).

Post by Guest »

Yes but, you know, I think in order to make people's life easier, not to think "hehehe you dumb @@@".

Since there are MANY pages telling about the same error (google for it) it seems I am not the only stupid one who did not think of disabling AdBlock.

If two extensions can collide there should be an alert somewhere, IMHO.

Sorry for the OT.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

Guest wrote:If two extensions can collide there should be an alert somewhere, IMHO.
This is not a case of two extensions colliding.
  • You deliberately install AdBlock Plus, for the express purpose of removing ads.

You subscribe to filtering lists so you don't have to build your own.

You know that ABP is there (although after a while, you probably get so comfortable with it that you don't give it a second thought).

ABP even displays a very noticeable red-and-white icon on your taskbar (unless you deliberately remove it).
Your computer is doing exactly what you told it to do. If you don't want it to do this, then it's up to you to turn it off.
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

We are completely OT, sorry again everybody.

Anyway there are two main holes in your reasoning:

1. ADBlock is not usually meant to block scripts (or part of them), infact I never got an error before and that is why it caught me by surprise. Add also that I usually debug my own pages and there aren't blocked objects there. Plus, while ADBlock is always on, I switch on Firebug only when needed. IMHO a warning when you switch to "debug mode" would be a smart move. Maybe on Firebug side.

2. The idea of "the computer does only what you make it do" is pretty silly because it is always true, what ever happens.
That is the reason why software has got checks and alerts.
And some systems have root and user permissions and other systems hide and don't allow you to change some parts.

Anyway, yes, my fault.
But there are several sites out there where people propose a patch in the script for fixing the Analytics error when you can simply disable ADBlock or the filter list. Funny? Maybe...
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

Google Analytics isn't in the EasyList or EasyElement filters. It's in the optional ABP Tracking Filter, which Rick clearly explains:
  • For blocking major web tracking services.

* NOTICE *

Because of some (valid) complaints from people who use the EasyList and don't want their site-stats blocked by default, I have now SEPARATED tracking stat strings from the regular EasyList. The hope is that the other ABP filtermakers will simply add the few questionable stat-sites to this "ABP Tracking Filter" as to free up all of our regular filters to concentrate on just blocking ads while making others happy. Because the tracking filter is NOT an ad-blocker, it will now be a separate subscription that will stay separated from the EasyList. There are too many 'pros' and 'cons' for making it standard ... so now they are separate.
    This subscription contains only web tracking strings ... nothing for ads.

http://easylist.adblockplus.org/
Again, this is an issue of "You got what you asked for." You subscribed to a stats-blocking filter, and then you complain because it's doing the job it was created for? :roll:

Not only is this thread now off-topic, it's also off-forum. This forum is for supporting the filters. If you have suggestions about changes to the extensions themselves, you should post them on the appropriate extension's support forum. I'm not wasting any more time beating this dead horse....
Last edited by The Masked Marauder on Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

@LorenzoC:

Actually Adblock Plus WAS designed for blocking scripts ... at least the ones that server ads. The Tracking Filter (if you are using it) was just an attempt to remove tracking strings from ad filters and give them their own optional subscription.

I am also a webmaster. If you are working on a site(s), the easiest thing to do is to simply add a whitelisting for your entire domain:

Code: Select all

@@|http://*yoursite.com
This will allow your domain's scripting to run normally without obstruction or errors.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"