startupgrind.com

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
russell_bevy

startupgrind.com

Post by russell_bevy »

Hello,

I work for Bevy Labs. We are the software hosting Startup Grind's community conferences site. Our images are hosted in Cloudinary at paths that are beneath this URL:
https://res.cloudinary.com/startup-grind/

These are images we only show on our site specific to the business purpose of that site. Please remove it from your blocked list. And if Cloudinary was blocked at a higher level, then it could impact the majority of our sites as well as their other clients.

Regards,
-Russell Bevers, Software Engineer, Bevy Labs
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

Blocked by which filter and which list ? Provide an example.
•► Read RULES / Use forum Search
••► Don't post clickable links
•••►Upload screenshots at imgbb.com
russell_bevy

Post by russell_bevy »

Adblocker using Easylist is blocking the sponsor logos on this event page:

Code: Select all

https://www.startupgrind.com/events/details/startup-grind-barcelona-presents-startup-grind-bcn-sf-summit#/
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

russell_bevy wrote:if Cloudinary was blocked at a higher level, ....
cloudinary.com is not blocked, you issue is related to this hiding filter in EasyList ##.sponsor-logo

Now, you have to wait an EasyList author see this topic and decide what to do.
•► Read RULES / Use forum Search
••► Don't post clickable links
•••►Upload screenshots at imgbb.com
russell_bevy

Post by russell_bevy »

Thank you, smed79. I hope the EasyList authors will agree that blocking on a CSS class named "sponsor-logo" may be too broad, with unpredictable results that may not be desirable by their end-users. The issue we experienced was reported by one of our users who likes the blocking in AdBlock, but wants to see the sponsors of events.

I suppose that a logo for a "sponsor" could be considered an advertisement by some, but a desirable point of information for many others. In my opinion it isn't safely in the category of "undesirable content" 9 times out of 10 like a banner ad, and they usually do fit into (and relate directly to) the context of the information where they are displayed.

Additionally, I could see this having direct impact on all sorts of relationships that are more desirable to society, especially in non-profit sectors. An example would be a page for a benefit concert for child cancer patients? The page or the event might not even happen or exist without the support of those sponsors. Should they be blocked? Is this the type of thing that AdBlock/EasyList wants to always filter by default?

You're information does give me what I need to work around it. So again, thank you.