Yavli filters issues

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.

Moderator: EasyList authors

tgp-dev
New Member
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:40 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: Yavli filters issues

Post by tgp-dev » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:34 am

Hi Fanboy,

I am not here to point blame, merely reporting the issue. The fact is your filter is blocking all third party images and is causing a lot of issues. I have been running said ads for a long time with no damaging filters to date.

Im getting reports from users and I cannot fix this issue myself. All I can do is point them to this forum, which as Lanik understandably said he doesn’t want as it obviously creates a lot of extra admin for you guys.

So if you can please remove this problematic filter that would be great.

Regards

User avatar
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author
Posts: 9667
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Reputation: 16

Post by fanboy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:10 am

I've not removed the filter. I've whitelisted:

Code: Select all

@@||clicktosolve.com^$image,domain=thefreethoughtproject.com
And tested the site, it looks fine.

The only way for this to be resolved would be revolving removing adscripts, and adblock countering. Then this mess can finally come to an end, your call.

tgp-dev
New Member
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:40 pm
Reputation: 0

Post by tgp-dev » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi Fanboy,

As said i cant remove the unit even if i wanted to.

So just to be clear you are saying you are going to ignore your own policy

Code: Select all

https://easylist.to/pages/policy.html
"Consistently problematic filters should be removed from the subscription."

And not delete the problematic filter?

Regards

User avatar
Lanik
Site Owner
Site Owner
Posts: 1378
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:44 am
Reputation: 22
Location: /dev/null

Post by Lanik » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:13 pm

tgp-dev wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:10 am
Just read the PH thread, the Admins are removing the bad filters so the site functions properly. I assume its best to give it a day to wait for the fix.
I've seen it take longer than a day. If you're okay with that who am I to argue with that logic. :mrgreen:
tgp-dev wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:18 pm
So just to be clear you are saying you are going to ignore your own policy

Code: Select all

https://easylist.to/pages/policy.html
"Consistently problematic filters should be removed from the subscription."
That filter does what it says it blocks ads. If that causes a false positive due to abusive advertising practices used in your site, that's not our problem.

There's a HUGE difference between a false positive and a problematic filter which you seem to be confused about.

Selectively quoting parts of the Policy to bolster your argument isn't doing much to advance your case for removal of the "problematic" filter.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

tgp-dev
New Member
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:40 pm
Reputation: 0

Post by tgp-dev » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:30 pm

There's a HUGE difference between a false positive and a problematic filter which you seem to be confused about.
Please could you explain the difference for my reference as your right, i am a little confused.

This looks to be exactly the same scenario as the PH thread which you pointed me in the direction of which got resolved swiftly, so i must be missing something as i fail to see the difference between the two scenarios.

Please note i am not trying to be difficult i am just looking to get this resolved, your help is much appreciated.

Regards

User avatar
smed79
Liste AR Author
Liste AR Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:00 am
Reputation: 95
Location: EasyList Forum

Post by smed79 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:36 pm

tgp-dev wrote:Please could you explain the difference for my reference as your right, i am a little confused.
List Authors do not add any filter blindly, they test and add filters as efficient as possible to block only advertisement...

After if you made a changes (You/Yavli) to get around filter lists (easylist in this case) and these changes (You/Yavli) made force the display of advertising but break the concerned site your request about false positive or problematic filter (call them as you like) is not justified so please don't play with (or exploit) EL policy.
•► Before posting, to find your answer fast, read Forum « RULES » and use « Search »
••► Don't post clickable links » use inline text bbcode notation « [ C ] » or « [ code ] »

tgp-dev
New Member
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:40 pm
Reputation: 0

Post by tgp-dev » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi Smed79,

So your suggesting we/yavli have made changes after you applied the filter that would subsequently cause the filter to break our site right?

That is simply not the case, this is the filter that is the issue:

Code: Select all

http://$image,third-party,domain=allthingsvegas.com|gopocalypse.org|legalinsurrection.com|newser.com|quirlycues.com|thegatewaypundit.com|viralnova.com|xtribune.com
It is blocking all third party images, which are contained in a lot of our articles. This has nothing to do with something we have changed after this filter was added to deliberately break the site and to blame it on you guys, it was broken the instant this filter was lived.

The filter was simply not checked well enough before being pushed to the Easylist it appears to me.

Regards

User avatar
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author
Posts: 9667
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Reputation: 16

Post by fanboy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:34 pm

https://github.com/easylist/easylist/co ... 12ebf4c3e3

Again, and you seem to ignore the fact we're in this situation because of the ads deployed on the website. Fix the site and the ads you guys seem hell bent to display, so we can remove any rules targeting the the site.

Clearly previous attempts of blocking the site didn't get your attention.

User avatar
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author
Posts: 9667
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Reputation: 16

Post by fanboy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:39 pm

Just look through the "Report incorrectly removed content" forum posts, you'll see we can be quite reasonable. But if a website doesn't want to change its ways, there won't be any resolution on our part.

Its a 2 way street here, you show some respect to Adblock users, and we'll do so in return.

chrisstops
New Member
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:10 pm
Reputation: 0

Post by chrisstops » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:13 pm

I have just found broken images on a site due to my ad blocking extension, so I further investigated and found many sites affected:

Code: Select all

100percentfedup.com
allenwestrepublic.com
barbwire.com
bighealthreport.com
bulletsfirst.net
clashdaily.com
comicallyincorrect.com
conservativebyte.com
conservativevideos.com
constitution.com
craigjames.com
deneenborelli.com
eaglerising.com
freedomdaily.com
freedomoutpost.com
girlsjustwannahaveguns.com
hispolitica.com
keepandbear.com
patriottribune.com
This seems to be the problematic update: https://github.com/easylist/easylist/co ... e313a3a075

These sites have all been removed from the whitelist which was in place to allow their images so doesn’t make any sense why it would be removed as it would obviously cause this damage.

Tks
Chris

xex99
New Member
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:57 pm
Reputation: 0

Post by xex99 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:59 pm

hi, all images seem to be missing on eaglerising.com

i have updated my ad blocker and i am using google chrome on a macbook pro.

User avatar
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author
Posts: 9667
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Reputation: 16

Post by fanboy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:00 pm

It was intentional, the sites used a whitelist loophole. Admin of the sites should fix it here.

tldr; I'm sick of the Yavli bullshit.

chrisstops
New Member
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:10 pm
Reputation: 0

Post by chrisstops » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Im a little mythed, so you are breaking the images on all these sites on purpose?

How do i fix them without uninstalling ABP, should i speak to them directly?

User avatar
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author
Posts: 9667
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Reputation: 16

Post by fanboy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:13 pm

I was aware i would break some sites, but given they (there are more sites yet to be fixed) intentionally used a whitelist to serve Yavli ads, then only they are to blame.

The sites need to remove Yavli, or stop using whitelists to serve ads.

contact the site, and link them to this thread

bulletsf
New Member
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:22 pm
Reputation: 0

Post by bulletsf » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:32 pm

Hello,

Had a few reports of broken images on our site, which led me here.

For the record we are not exploiting a whitelist. Ads on our site are served first party through the same CDN as our images.

You guys for some reason blocked all images on our site, then whitelisted the image domain so the site would function for your users, then today you appear to have removed that whitelist breaking the images and making the site unusable.

To quote Smed "List Authors do not add any filter blindly, they test and add filters as efficient as possible to block only advertisement..." This really doesnt seem to be the case.

Regards BF

Kai
New Member
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:14 pm
Reputation: 0

Post by Kai » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:17 pm

When I go to this site images don't load in Chrome (v 57):

Code: Select all

http://patriottribune.com/46470/cartoon-trump-fully-vindicated/

User avatar
smed79
Liste AR Author
Liste AR Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:00 am
Reputation: 95
Location: EasyList Forum

Post by smed79 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:53 pm

chrisstops wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:06 pm
How do i fix them without uninstalling ABP, ...?
an example filter:

Code: Select all

@@||wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/$image,domain=site1.com|site2.com|site3.com
•► Before posting, to find your answer fast, read Forum « RULES » and use « Search »
••► Don't post clickable links » use inline text bbcode notation « [ C ] » or « [ code ] »

User avatar
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author
Posts: 9667
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Reputation: 16

Post by fanboy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:55 pm

bulletsf wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:32 pm
For the record we are not exploiting a whitelist. Ads on our site are served first party through the same CDN as our images.

You guys for some reason blocked all images on our site, then whitelisted the image domain so the site would function for your users, then today you appear to have removed that whitelist breaking the images and making the site unusable.
Hi,

The actual exploit/loophole is the following (for bulletsfirst):

Code: Select all

http://bulletsfirst.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/zozfenvaldite/2015/08/serrual10039ctrigger-4o9oggg.png

bulletsf
New Member
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:22 pm
Reputation: 0

Post by bulletsf » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:07 pm

Im struggling to follow your logic, we had Yavli setup and running on our image CDN before you added any filters against our site.

You are claiming we are exploiting said whitelist before it was even added to the EasyList- I’m sure you will agree this is impossible.

This is clearly a problematic filter and against your Policy as has been suggested above.

User avatar
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author
Posts: 9667
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Reputation: 16

Post by fanboy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:23 pm

Yavli filters have been in the list for last 2/3 years or so. So not new.
The sites need to remove Yavli, or stop using whitelists to serve ads.

User avatar
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author
Posts: 9667
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Reputation: 16

Post by fanboy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:30 pm

This is clearly a problematic filter and against your Policy as has been suggested above.
When a site knownly uses a whitelist loophole to serve ads through, which this site (and other sites) did, then action was taken. Rather than just keep arguing, just fix the issue so we can move on.

bulletsf
New Member
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:22 pm
Reputation: 0

Post by bulletsf » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:41 pm

The age of the filters are irrelevant, we have been running Yavli since i can remember. You have deliberately created this whitelist for our site after we installed Yavli, otherwise the whitelist entry wouldnt exist... fact! Then you blackmail us with stop using Yavli or the whitelist exploit you created and we will fix your site.

To be frank ad blocking users without monetization are a net loss to the site, ie bandwidth. Providing great content is not cheap so the ads are a value exchange in return for the content- i dont see why ad blocking users should steal content. So i am happy for ad blocking users to get a poor experience, they will likely un install their blocker, create bad PR for the plugin and will also cause you a whole bunch of admin with users complaining on here.

User avatar
Lanik
Site Owner
Site Owner
Posts: 1378
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:44 am
Reputation: 22
Location: /dev/null

Post by Lanik » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:02 am

fanboy wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:13 pm
I was aware i would break some sites, but given they (there are more sites yet to be fixed) intentionally used a whitelist to serve Yavli ads, then only they are to blame.
@bulletsf
I guess I have to repeat the above since obviously you didn't read that or understand any of it.

You're only alienating your users by blocking anyone using Adblock et al. Nobody is blackmailing you here. Has someone asked for money? Nope. Your sites circumvents our filters, again YOUR choice and you complain we somehow blocked you. Yes definitely sound logic there.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

User avatar
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author
Posts: 9667
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Reputation: 16

Post by fanboy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:07 am

@bulletsf I've stated what needs to happen, i'm not going to keep repeating myself. If something changes in regards to the site let us know.

bulletsf
New Member
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:22 pm
Reputation: 0

Post by bulletsf » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 am

You seem to have a very one dimensional view that suits your narrative. You cant see that you are saying "we will break your site unless you do this"; thats blackmail in my book, money being involved is irrelevant.

Myself and site owner friends are affected by this block but what you dont seem to understand is that webmasters hate ad blockers, they are encroaching on our bottom lines and ultimately putting us out of business so we dont care to much for your users, anything that deters them from using a blocker or creates a bad experience is a plus in our eyes.

namesano
New Member
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:03 am
Reputation: 0

Post by namesano » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:18 am

fanboy wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:34 pm
https://github.com/easylist/easylist/co ... 12ebf4c3e3

Again, and you seem to ignore the fact we're in this situation because of the ads deployed on the website. Fix the site and the ads you guys seem hell bent to display, so we can remove any rules targeting the the site.

Clearly previous attempts of blocking the site didn't get your attention.
Let me add my thought on this. I think EasyList/ABP is ignoring the fact that you just can't block Yavli ads with your tools. EasyList/ABP is trying to do an impossible thing - blocking Yavli ads, not blocking main content, and conforming to the list policies.

Sites are broken not because they use Yavli ads. It is broken because EasyList decided to break it and decided to not conform to the list policy.

User avatar
Lanik
Site Owner
Site Owner
Posts: 1378
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:44 am
Reputation: 22
Location: /dev/null

Post by Lanik » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:31 am

bulletsf wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 am
... anything that deters them from using a blocker or creates a bad experience is a plus in our eyes.
So far the only people complaining are the so called webmasters, which is pretty amusing in its own right. :mrgreen:

And I love how you guys think bandwidth is expensive. I'm a webmaster too and I assure you, if you know what you're doing its the least of your worries.
namesano wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:18 am
Sites are broken not because they use Yavli ads. It is broken because EasyList decided to break it and decided to not conform to the list policy.
Apparently you didn't read the entire thread. Please enlighten me which rules were supposedly broken.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

User avatar
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author
Posts: 9667
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Reputation: 16

Post by fanboy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:34 am

Good ol' Bandwidth complaints, because its not like we all deal with it either. Example from just last year.
Attachments
Yearly-2016-Jan-Dec.png

bulletsf
New Member
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:22 pm
Reputation: 0

Post by bulletsf » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:50 am

I think you guys are taking the word "bandwidth" in the wrong context. Yes you are right it will cost marginally more in hosting but i meant it in the terms of workload, time is money and having to spend time dealing with reports of site issues and posting on here due to your bad blocks. The simple answer is to put up a message to ad blocking users pointing them in the direction of this forum so you can explain to them why the site is broken, will be a bandwidth issue for you guys then!

User avatar
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author
Posts: 9667
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Reputation: 16

Post by fanboy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:23 am

"Yavli is too good for you."

No, while Yavli does requires constant treatment to fix, all this patch was to remove the whitelist loophole being used by said sites.

"But my site is now broken"

Either remove Yavli or host the Yavli images/scripts else where. Notify us, and we'll get the filters adjusted. Or if you're a user, contact the website, and link them to this post.

"You caused this issue"

While this is an escalation, the bottom line is Yavli caused this issue by hosting the ads on your site. Given the website is complicit giving out direct access to Yavli and using the whitelist to deliver ads through it, probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.

"I don't care if my site is broken for Adblock users"

There are plenty of non-invasive ad companies out there. If you prefer to look after ad companies like Yavli instead of your users/viewers or followers, that's your call.

"What can I do as a user?"

Contact the website, let them know of this forum thread so this can be resolved for everyone.

If you *really* want to whitelist the ads (not recommended) Add the filter to your personal list:

Code: Select all

@@||netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/$image
Any troll, or abusive chat will be removed, and the thread will be locked.

I won't be repeating myself.

Post Reply