TheVideo.me - All external Javascripts blocked

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
thevideo

TheVideo.me - All external Javascripts blocked

Post by thevideo »

Hi,

In the most recent update to the filter list all external content is blocked from loading on the site (thevideo.me).
The incorrect filter rule has resulted in the loss of Google Analytics Data, User Paid Support and the CDN hosted JQuery, along with many other damaging effects.

We are requesting that the following filter rules be adjusted or removed as they are damaging our user experience as well as costing us user traffic due to the site not rendering properly.

Code: Select all

|http://$script,third-party,xmlhttprequest,domain=thevideo.me
|https://$script,third-party,xmlhttprequest,domain=thevideo.me
Regards,
TheVideo Team
Anonymous99999

Post by Anonymous99999 »

No keep it that way. This website is riddled with shit ads, ad popups, scripts that rape your browser with multiple redirects, after blocking 16 ads/js/elements/popups, the site experience for me has become so much better :ubergeek:
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Based on this alone I'd say there's a good reason the site is blocked.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
thevideo

Post by thevideo »

Lanik wrote:Based on this alone I'd say there's a good reason the site is blocked.
Could you specify your reasoning? The filter rules are interfering with scripts unrelated to ads, as it has been specified previously this would include the intercom.io widget which we use to provide live support, collect Google Analytics and several other user experience enhancing software. This directly interferes with our business operations via disabling our ability to communicate directly with our users and by providing incorrect stats in our analytics reporting. Adblock software is not advertised as malicious software and is not intended to do more than cripple advertisement revenue.

Regards,
TheVideo Team
WarFame
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by WarFame »

Just my opinion but it's your own fault if you employ techniques to circumvent adblockers. The maintainers are then forced to use very strict blocking rules to only allow the main function of the site. And Google Analytics isn't getting unblocked in any case.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

thevideo wrote:Adblock software is not advertised as malicious software and is not intended to do more than cripple advertisement revenue.
Unobtrusive advertising yes but I wouldn't call your ads exactly unobtrusive. It's your right to make money for your site. If you want take part in AdBlock Plus Acceptable Ads Program and change your ads to conform to their policy then I don't see any reason your site can not make money.

Please note I'm merely expressing my opinion. The decision to include or exclude sites from the EasyList filters isn't mine: rules#authors
Anonymous99999

Post by Anonymous99999 »

thevideo wrote:
Lanik wrote:Based on this alone I'd say there's a good reason the site is blocked.
Could you specify your reasoning? The filter rules are interfering with scripts unrelated to ads, as it has been specified previously this would include the intercom.io widget which we use to provide live support, collect Google Analytics and several other user experience enhancing software. This directly interferes with our business operations via disabling our ability to communicate directly with our users and by providing incorrect stats in our analytics reporting. Adblock software is not advertised as malicious software and is not intended to do more than cripple advertisement revenue.

Regards,
TheVideo Team
You will be surprised to know but I'm one of those guys who has subscribed to 85 adblocking/domainblocking/malwareblocking/socialblocking/popupblocking filters and runs all of them because of your adrape I experienced once, so no ads at all and not only, I have set to block all 3rd party cookies/data/shit to be installed on my device through my browser and on top of that, I block all google analytics and any kind of site that tracks my visit and have activated Do Not Track policy in chrome.

These guys have only stopped your ad $$$.

But people like me suffered your ad rape once and I promised on my dead grandma's body to never let that happen ever again and went full psycho on not just your site but all on the sites where GA and any other "anal"ytical tools are INSERTED on our browsers, just so you can know who visited and keep track of our activities via GA and other tools.

Do not blame these guys here, you and other like allmyvideos and all other video hosting sites did this to yourself.
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

@thevideo intrusive/malicious/popup advertising and are NOT necessary to make money, blame yourself if you lack creativity.
I'm sure that easylist authors are happy to remove these rules if you stop using revolving adservers.
•► Read RULES / Use forum Search
••► Don't post clickable links
•••►Upload screenshots at imgbb.com
thevideo

Post by thevideo »

WarFame wrote:Just my opinion but it's your own fault if you employ techniques to circumvent adblockers. The maintainers are then forced to use very strict blocking rules to only allow the main function of the site. And Google Analytics isn't getting unblocked in any case.
"to only allow the main function of the site" Well with 3rd party libraries disabled we no longer had access to JQuery which resulted in our videos not functioning properly for more than 6 hours. Additionally none of our users could report the issue as the live chat system was no longer functioning. So while I again understand that maintainers need to use strict rules, such a vague/broad block is unjust and in my opinion the behaviour of a bully.

Lanik wrote:
thevideo wrote:Adblock software is not advertised as malicious software and is not intended to do more than cripple advertisement revenue.
Unobtrusive advertising yes but I wouldn't call your ads exactly unobtrusive. It's your right to make money for your site. If you want take part in AdBlock Plus Acceptable Ads Program and change your ads to conform to their policy then I don't see any reason your site can not make money.

Please note I'm merely expressing my opinion. The decision to include or exclude sites from the EasyList filters isn't mine: rules#authors
Please read the statement again, we understand and do not have an issue with the fact that you are policing the online advertisement space and enforcing "standards" you deem acceptable, but interfering with the site's core functionality is not in anyway acceptable. such a vague block means that the 45%+ of our users that are using adblock softwares would not be able to see any of the 3rd party applications we might implement in the future without us getting "prior permission"/whitelisted
Anonymous99999 wrote:
thevideo wrote:

Regards,
TheVideo Team
You will be surprised to know but I'm one of those guys who has subscribed to 85 adblocking/domainblocking/malwareblocking/socialblocking/popupblocking filters and runs all of them because of your adrape I experienced once, so no ads at all and not only, I have set to block all 3rd party cookies/data/shit to be installed on my device through my browser and on top of that, I block all google analytics and any kind of site that tracks my visit and have activated Do Not Track policy in chrome.

These guys have only stopped your ad $$$.

But people like me suffered your ad rape once and I promised on my dead grandma's body to never let that happen ever again and went full psycho on not just your site but all on the sites where GA and any other "anal"ytical tools are INSERTED on our browsers, just so you can know who visited and keep track of our activities via GA and other tools.

Do not blame these guys here, you and other like allmyvideos and all other video hosting sites did this to yourself.
!

Sorry to hear about your experience. While I understand your frustration please note that TheVideo initially started with 2 pop ups (without audio/alerts) and a single banner unit (including adblock users). Video hosting is fairly expensive and when users decide that a single banner and 2 pop ups are intrusive and decide to block these units we are pushed to place more ads to cover our costs. So the entire blame can not be on us, there needs to be a mutual understanding between the users and websites for this to work.
smed79 wrote:@thevideo intrusive/malicious/popup advertising and are NOT necessary to make money, blame yourself if you lack creativity.
I'm sure that easylist authors are happy to remove these rules if you stop using revolving adservers.
Well we are here to discuss and resolve the situation, I personally believe that EasyList devs went too far with these particular rules as it affects not only our ads but functionalities and most importantly we will not be able to freely add additional 3rd tools to our website.

Regards,
TheVideo Team
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

thevideo wrote:Please read the statement again, we understand and do not have an issue with the fact that you are policing the online advertisement space and enforcing "standards" you deem acceptable, but interfering with the site's core functionality is not in anyway acceptable. such a vague block means that the 45%+ of our users that are using adblock softwares would not be able to see any of the 3rd party applications we might implement in the future without us getting "prior permission"/whitelisted
Funny as you didn't read a word I wrote so let me help you again with that:
Lanik wrote:The decision to include or exclude sites from the EasyList filters isn't mine: rules#authors
FoxH122

Post by FoxH122 »

пожалуйста, добавьте эти правила

|http://$popup,subdocument,domain=thevideo.me
|https://$popup,subdocument,domain=thevideo.me

:banana:
thevideo

Post by thevideo »

Lanik wrote:Funny as you didn't read a word I wrote so let me help you again with that:
Lanik wrote:The decision to include or exclude sites from the EasyList filters isn't mine: rules#authors
I am not here to argue so I do apologize if I was vague in my earlier response, when I said "you" I meant "easylist" and not you personally. Also despite your gratuitous assumption I did read your post and I also did follow the link you included in your post, however the "EasyList Authors" group doesnt seem to be working though ("memberlist.php?mode=group&g=58") so I was hoping someone would respond to this forum post.

Regards,
TheVideo Team
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Thevideo team,

I was the author who committed this change due to revolving adservers and popups generating from the site. While this may break your analytics on the site, the overriding issue is the ads/ad scripts and popups generated were causing issues.

If this changes I'll be gladly review my change.
thevideo

Post by thevideo »

fanboy wrote:Thevideo team,

I was the author who committed this change due to revolving adservers and popups generating from the site. While this may break your analytics on the site, the overriding issue is the ads/ad scripts and popups generated were causing issues.

If this changes I'll be gladly review my change.
Hi Fanboy,

Thank you for getting back to us. I have sent you a direct message, I will assume that you have not seen it yet since we have not heard back from you.
We appreciate you whitelisting the Google JS libraries for jQuery however the other third party utilized components are still being blocked. As a show of good faith we removed the ads that rely on rotating servers, previously shown to AdBlock users. In order for these changes to be viable we are asking that you withdraw the vague filters. As it stands currently AdBlock users are unable to render JS from Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and VKontakte which denies them the ability to login/register with the aforementioned providers.

Regards,
TheVideo Team.
jonny do nothing

Post by jonny do nothing »

I noticed there are 35 EasyList filter rules mentioning thevideo.me

One or more of these rules are blocking Google Analytics and Alexa Certified Metrics scripts.

But, the main reason I'm posting is that it is also blocking a chrome extension I use called ICE Quick Stream (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ice-quick-stream/dpioikmjnfipgphjldakcaocbbpnfabl)

Example: http://thevideo.me/elyiwn5tymzc

Here is what it says in the console log:
IQS.user.js:39
GET http://www.icefilms.info/membersonly/components/com_iceplayer/verify.php?url=http%3A//thevideo.me/elyiwn5tymzc net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Surprised given the amount of discussions behind the scenes that the site started to target Adblock users a month later.

This was re-added because thevideo site decided to add more revolving adservers and implement Anti-adblock scripts. With any site blocks like this, no whitelists for analytics are accepted.