webglstats.com

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
pyalot

Post by pyalot »

fanboy wrote: Obviously running server side stats like awstats (apache/nginx logs) is accepted given there isn't a way to block it and its completely serverside. The user agent, screen size etc didn't leave the site, its not like a 3rd party script loaded on a site to measure this info. Trying to simplify it as "like HTTP_ACCEPT" is incorrect.

Your site won't fall apart because some users like to retain some privacy, its been there for 5 months already. And again, as stated its an optional list which people can choose to have.
If you write WebGL, then for instance, it's important to know what texture sizes you should not use, or use only with fallbacks to smaller sizes. For instance, everybody supports 2048 textures, 97% support 4069, but only 74% support 8192. This is fairly vital information to know. The only way to discover this information, is by writing a script, and sending this information back to your server. Then, plot this information, and make decisions about software architecture based on that data.

I simplified collection of this data, because it's hard for people to set this up, and, it's hard to get a representative sample base if all you have available is your own site.

As I have said, again and again, make a suggestion what I can do to make you happy, and I will listen. NOBODY has made any such suggestion. This means, that there is no way, to make you happy. And that, sir, is not my fault.
gorhill
uBlock Origin Author
uBlock Origin Author

Post by gorhill »

pyalot wrote:As I have said, again and again, make a suggestion what I can do to make you happy, and I will listen. NOBODY has made any such suggestion. This means, that there is no way, to make you happy. And that, sir, is not my fault.
Create a visible widget (instead of an invisible iframe) which ask people to submit voluntarily their hardware profile to the webglstats database by clicking on it. This would direct people to your website where you can gather the data -- and show the results at the same time. That's the ethical way to do it: informed consent.
pyalot

Post by pyalot »

gorhill wrote: Create a visible widget (instead of an invisible iframe) which ask people to submit voluntarily their hardware profile to the webglstats database by clicking on it. This would direct people to your website where you can gather the data -- and show the results at the same time. That's the ethical way to do it: informed consent.
I like the idea. I need to think about this some, perhaps A/B test it. One of the goals is breath of sample base in order to get reliable statistics, so comparing how often people click that widget and what the data difference is, would be important.

A nitpick on the suggestion, it's not related to what you do to me. You'd block me regardless, but thanks for the input.