Obnoxious flash ad

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Obnoxious flash ad

Post by The Masked Marauder »

Check out this web page:

Hundreds of police officers show up for canceled protest
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=4705822

It pops up an obnoxious flash ad of a "consumer advocate" hawking custom window treatments. I pinned down the offending URL to http://manager.rovion.com/ . The ad is displayed only once; to repeat it, delete your cookies and reload the page. When I went to Rovion's home page, this is what I found:
  • Rovion's patent-pending InPerson technology enables web sites to come alive with highly compelling and literally out-of-the-box streaming video messages... leading to increased response rates, recognition, retention and revenues.
They forgot to say "and pissing off the visitors to your site". This sort of "in your face" advertising is a prime example of why AdBlock Plus is necessary.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I couldn't agree more. When the web first got ads (yes I was there when it happened) I thought it was kind of neat. Then they lost their minds and got greedy and I now hate ALL ads. I even own a Tivo.

My mom will ask if I've seen some funny ad on TV then she's like, oh yea you don't see ads. I love it!!
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

IceDogg wrote:My mom will ask if I've seen some funny ad on TV then she's like, oh yea you don't see ads. I love it!!
Sturgeon's Revelation, "Ninety percent of everything is crap.", definitely applies to TV commercials. But every once in a while the commercials are way better than the show they're funding!

A few years ago, there was a TV show, "The World's Best Commercials". By the time it was over I was ROFLMAO!!! (I don't remember what they were selling though...)

Brad
Hint: I do not *routinely* check the mail box of this disposable address!
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

The Masked Marauder wrote: It pops up an obnoxious flash ad of a "consumer advocate" hawking custom window treatments.
Not any more :wink:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Last edited by rick752 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

rick752 wrote:Not any more :wink:
I love it! :D
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

@Brad, Yea I know what you mean. Some commercials are hilarious. But it's worth missing them not to have to see all the crappy ones. At least to me it is.

Plus I can knock out shows very fast.. half the time or better. We timed it a few times on sitcoms and we could watch a 30 min one in from 15 to 18 minutes. Ain't that something half of it is ads.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote:I couldn't agree more. When the web first got ads (yes I was there when it happened) I thought it was kind of neat. Then they lost their minds and got greedy and I now hate ALL ads. I even own a Tivo.

My mom will ask if I've seen some funny ad on TV then she's like, oh yea you don't see ads. I love it!!
Well, don't look now Dogg, but:
"Now playing on TiVo: targeted ads"
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6138949.html

:roll:
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Each time TiVo customers view a recorded program, the new menu options will appear alongside the delete or save options. Those new options will include a brand logo or question asking if the viewer would like to watch promotional content, which can run up to two minutes.

The feature is opt-in, so that customers can watch products they are interested in and skip the rest.
Well guess what "options" I'll choose? lol NONE and delete the problem as I normally would, without watching the extra stuff. That being said. I find this interesting. For one reason. I miss all the ads for upcoming new shows. If there is an option for those at the end. I might watch them sometimes to see what the new shows are about. I'm all about options when it comes to just about anything. I just hate being dictated to. You have to watch these commercials to watch this show or you have to view these ads to see my site. Oh really??!! hehe Don't think so.