Yahoo mail beta frame hiding

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
Glitch

Yahoo mail beta frame hiding

Post by Glitch »

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I have a question regarding the new yahoo mail beta.
The regular Easylist filter hides the big ad in the right side frame but there is still a lot space left so I was wondering if this frame/element can be hidden using an element hiding filter like the ones in Easyelement filter list.

I would've done this myself but I'm still a rookie when it comes to filter writing so I hope you guys can help me.

I found a page that clearly shows one of these ads, and the second image is after using using Adblockplus+Easylist+Easyelement to hide/remove the picture ads.

http://tinyurl.com/g6zgv

http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... etabd9.jpg

@Rick752:

I've been using your filters for quite some time now and I can't thank you enough. Great job and keep it up!
Stupid Head
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Stupid Head »

Normally, the filter below would work, but it doesn't, which leads me to believe they hard-coded the margin-right values of the rest of the content. I don't think it's possible to get rid of the right frame using Adblock Plus.

Code: Select all

mail.yahoo.com#div(id=largePane)
I did, however, find a way to get rid of the ads on the left side.

Code: Select all

mail.yahoo.com#iframe(id=nwPane)
mail.yahoo.com#iframe(id=swPane)
Glitch

Post by Glitch »

tnx , I guessed they might have done something like that.
Well, I'll just have to live that frame, it's not too big but I would've been happier without it :D
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

@ Glitch:

I'm sorry that I haven't set up on Yahoo Mail beta yet. I should probably do that soon (I do have a regular Yahoo mail account). Unfortunately, the screen shots only show what you see ... not what the code is. I can't get to that page yet.

@ Stu:
Do you have the beta set up? I would think that it would be easier to "block" the iframe than to just "hide" it anyway. Is there a reason that can't be done here? ... just looks like a simple ad to me.

Or is there something goofy that Yahoo is trying to do again :x
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Glitch

Post by Glitch »

There is a simple trick you can do to get into the beta.
Try to change your current country to UK or France. Both of these are in the beta program and after you change the country you will get an option to try out the beta.

I myself,am from Croatia and was 'invited' to the beta program about 8 months ago. :)
Sheepy
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Sheepy »

Setting my country to UK works immediately. I used to live there anyway.

There are indeed new ads to be blocked. :twisted:
Stupid Head
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Stupid Head »

The iframe has a src="about:blank" and is contained within a div(id=largePane). Removing the div or the iframe has no effect on the rest of the content. :(

I used a user login on Bugmenot to get into the mail beta. Try the second account for yahoo.com.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

@ Glitch:

Well, there you have it. I'll Stu on this one. Looks like you've gone as far as you can go with that one.
Last edited by rick752 on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Glitch

Post by Glitch »

Ok, tnx for your efforts!
It's not something I can't live with :D