EasyList "housecleaning" done

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

EasyList "housecleaning" done

Post by rick752 »

These are the strings I have removed from the EasyList. If anyone finds any of these strings are still active, please let me know.

Code: Select all

*.adnet.*
*.search.com/search*
*.trafficmasterz.*
*.trafficmp*
*/a/1-/*
*/sads/*
*/viewad/*
*?ad_id=*
*adsintl.*
*centrport*
*clickxchange*
*comclick*
*decisionmark.*
*excite.*iframe.
*fox*/ad_*
*google*/ads?*
*incentaclick.*
*inetinteractive*
*jsadplace.*
*linkads.com*
*nvero.net*
*pavisnet*
*paypopup.*
*pics.firstload*
*rightmedia*
*rrwebmedia*
*side_ad_page*
*spons*offer*
*valuead.com*

ps: after this little 'cleanup', I will be removing the beginning and trailing *asteriks* from the entire EasyList. They are not necessary anymore and should make the list easier to read. Unfortunately, it will also re-zero all of your "hit counts" :?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Original post)
Now that most of the 'optimization' changes in the standard EasyList have stabilized a bit, I think it is time to do some filter 'housecleaning'.

This is an open invite to anyone to help find unused filter strings in my main list. If you are not too attached to your 'hit counter', you should clear you hits (I have just re-zeroed mine now).

For the next couple of weeks, I will surf as much as possible and after that, I will post a list of 'zero' hits from my list on this post. If anyone else has received any hits for anything that I have posted from now until then, post it/them in this post and I will remove it from the 'zero hits' list. I will do this for a week or 2 until I end up with a list that nobody has hits on. I will make a backup copy of those and will then remove them from the main EasyList. :)

The reason I am doing this as there may be filters that have been overridden (not duplicated) by other filters ... making it a rundundant block. I have already noticed this behavior with a few strings.

Do not contribute to this if you are not using my EasyList ... OR if you have disabled any string in the list as this may 'hit' another string that would normally have been blocked by the disabled string.

Oh yeah ... and here is a shocker! :shock:
Even against my principles, I am actually debating about creating a single 'regexp' for the basic "ad"/"ads" strings as they are too short anyway (uninterrupted 8 char) to create optimized shortcuts in ADP.
Last edited by rick752 on Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:12 pm, edited 12 times in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

regexp? no no no! j/k

But I will say some folks, like me, like the simplicity of being able to see what's going on with the filters too. It's not all about being faster, for me anyway. Just my 2 cents.

As far as asking people to reset the counters, they could backup the patterns.ini file thus helping you see which ones are still being used, and then restore their old hit counts afterwards. They would then only lose the hits during the testing period. I'll do that myself too, but I don't visit a huge number of sites.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Aw man ... I knew I was gonna hear the "no regexp" thing. OK, I'll re-think it.

I also agree Dogg ... I always like to see what is EXACTLY being blocked, too. It was just a thought. :)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

*Bump* to first post
Sheepy
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Sheepy »

Got hits for
*/ads/*.png*
*_ban_*
Stupid Head
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Stupid Head »

*/mediamgr*
*_ban_*
*euroclick*
*interclick*
*maxserving*
*northmay.*
:arrow:
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I had to restore from a backup and my hits got put back, and I forgot to reset them again. I'll reset them now and post in a week or so. Sorry bout that.
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

I need to check this forum more often

My hit counter was reset about two months ago, I think, and I have hits for

*.pointroll.*
*/adcom/*
*/partner/*?*
*adinsert*
*bluestreak*
*bridgetrack*
*cpxinteractive* - wow, 310 hits for this
*dynamicad*
*google*adfetch*
*google*referer*
*houseads*
*linkexchange*
*pagead/ad*
*precisionclick*
*storefronts*
*targetpoint.* - wow, 508
EDIT - On the regex, I think it makes sense if they aren't being accelerated anyway and it's just adding complexity to the list. On the other hand, I suppose it is less simply to understand, so you just have to decide which type of complexity you prefer. :arrow:
Sheepy
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Sheepy »

Well I think he knows where he stands regarding regx. :wink:
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Cleanup is done ... see original post.

ps: The beginning of ALMOST all beginning and trailing asterisks in the strings are gone now.

(sorry about your filter'hit count' resets :roll: )