CHANGES: to the standard EasyList Filter

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

CHANGES: to the standard EasyList Filter

Post by rick752 »

Main EasyList Filter changes .. so keep yours eyes open :shock:

Wladimir & I exchanged a little info back & forth today and I am now making changes (slowly) to the main EasyList filter.

You will probably notice in the one to five days it takes to get updated (at least if you update from adblockplus.org) that the EasyList is starting to look a little different .... actually the strings are getting a bit longer.

Wladimir has determined that I should make at least 8 unbroken characters per string. Adblock Plus will create a 'shortcut' with any 'simple expression' filter string using at least 8 unbroken characters ... anything less or using regexps and it will not (the 'patterns.ini' file in the 'adblockplus' directory of your Firefox profile actually tell you which ones have a shortcut and what it is).

The beauty of shortcutting a string is that it only needs to load once (if I'm saying this correctly ... Wladimir can chew me out if I'm wrong). Any time a simple expression filter (which is what I use exclusively and is preferred for use in ADP) meeets this criteria, the filter can parse at a much faster rate when it is needed multiple times. If the expressions are too short ... or if they are regular expressions (regexps), the string will not work in this manner ... the filter string need to be re-read over and over each time.

So, according to Wladimir, by actually making the filter larger and the strings longer to create 8 succesive characters, it will actually work faster.

So, I'm doing what I can and have actually changed, removed, and edited some strings ... but I need people to keep an eye out for anything not working right, false-positives, or missed blocks.
Last edited by rick752 on Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Kewl, let me know when it's all done and I'll make it update so I can get to testing.

Also what makes for unbroken? Like just no spaces or are dots and other characters considered broken in a string as well? I guess what I'm really asking is what breaks a string exactly?
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

"Unbroken" means NOT breaking up the characters with a center wildcard like I do with some strings. The 3rd (or even 4th) wildcard is ok as lomg as one of the parts has at least 8 characters.

"Characters" can be anything ... not just letters. They can include punctuations and slashes.

Code: Select all

rickad?/
.. would be 8 successive characters

rickad?*/ads
... would not.

But:

*rickad?*/ads*icedogg1*
... would be ok because 'icedogg1' has 8 unbroken characters
Last edited by rick752 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Thanks Rick, I got it now.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

While looking thru my filter strings, I notice that some are the name of the site without the 'http' or '.com' or '.net'.

When I first was making the filters, I was trying to keep it as compact as possible because Adblock actually worked better that way.. but Wladimir has since changed all of that ... looks like "longer is better" (don't get excited, ladies :) )

So I guess I will try to accomodate the program. :roll:
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote:Kewl, let me know when it's all done and I'll make it update so I can get to testing.
I've been uploading and testing all night. Made a few minor changes ... I hope for the better :)
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Just forced an update so I'll let you know if anything funny happens. Also I disabled element blocking (your filters) for now.. for better testing of this.
Vallejo

Post by Vallejo »

*http://.ad.*?* doesn't look like it would work and should probably be *http://*.ad.*?* (even though it would have <8 unbroken chars).
Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@Rick: Thanks for doing this, I already see 63ms instead of 98ms in my test - that's quite an improvement. I should have looked at it earlier, would have been much easier for you to fix.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@Rick: Thanks for doing this, I already see 63ms instead of 98ms in my test - that's quite an improvement. I should have looked at it earlier, would have been much easier for you to fix.
I still have more to do .... I just have to find out what the "more" IS on other strings. Put in more than a few hours last night. There probably are a few adjustments I'll have to make, but after visiting a few hundred sites last night, I think everything seems to be working as good or even better than before.

I should be able to get it down to 40ms -ish. :)
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

WOW :shock: Go go go! sorry I'm a little getty this morning.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Vallejo wrote:*http://.ad.*?* doesn't look like it would work and should probably be *http://*.ad.*?* (even though it would have <8 unbroken chars).
Oops:
Yeah, you're right about that one. I don't know why I added the 'http' to it.

Post by Guest »

You removed *adserv* , thus smartadserver.com is NOT blocked anymore, while it is obviously advertising on many websites.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Anonymous wrote:You removed *adserv* , thus smartadserver.com is NOT blocked anymore, while it is obviously advertising on many websites.
I'll take care of that later. There will probably be a few days of adjustments. So bear with me :roll:
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Anonymous wrote:You removed *adserv* , thus smartadserver.com is NOT blocked anymore, while it is obviously advertising on many websites.
@ Guest .. it is now fixed (please post in the SAME topic and not in 2 different ones ... thank you).