Filter won't work on this

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
wright3279

Filter won't work on this

Post by wright3279 »

http://www.latimes.com/news
I get one pop-up after another even though I've added the filter with and without the *. The ads are http:/Brt.Trb.Com
These are coming thru on the news letter I get in the email.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

wright3279 wrote: These are coming thru on the news letter I get in the email.
If I am reading you correctly, are you saying that the popups are being generated from a newsletter IN your email?

If so, Adblock does not block anything from an email message.

When I go to that site, I do not have any ad or popup problems here.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
wright3279

Post by wright3279 »

I didn't know it wasn't effective in emails. It just started happening so I guess it's the L.A. Times doing it. I get another newsletter from the Washington Times but no ads.
Thanks.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

There is work being done for adblock plus to work in the Mozilla Thunderbird email program eventually.

Popups are usually generated by javascript. You could just turn off any "allow javascript" setting in your email program ... allowing scripting in email is not a good thing, anyway.

If you are using Thunderbird, it is under TOOLS ... OPTIONS ... PRIVACY ...GENERAL and just check the "Block Javascript in mail messages" box.

This should stop the problem
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

by the way that is checked by default. You would have had to unchecked it for it to have become a problem.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote:by the way that is checked by default. You would have had to unchecked it for it to have become a problem.
I guess I've had my profile for so long that I couldn't remember. Also, he never said what email program he was using.

What are you using wright? Because it definitely sounds like script running in your email.

Post by Guest »

Outlook express
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I just wanted to point that out Rick. Sorry didn't mean it to sound rude, rereading it now I could have worded it better. I knew they hadn't said which they used. Just wanted to point that out. Sorry if it come across wrong.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

@IceDogg:

No offense taken at all, Dogg! :D I ACTUALLY could not remember if it was set by default. I'm glad you pointed that out.

Looks like wright3279 is using OE (if that was his guest post above). If I can remember that far back, I think the only way he can disable javascript in OE is by turning it off in Internet Explorer. Some more recent patches to OE may have changed that (I know there was an OE patch just this week) ... but I'm not sure if its ever changed.

ps: IceDogg .... thanx for keeping up with the spam on the Adblock Plus forum. Too bad that spam caused it to be "member only" posting now. I hope we can keep 'guest' posting open here ... but if the same thing starts happening here we might have to go the same route. :cry:
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

You own this board though, right? I mean you pay for the site so you could install some spam catching mods if you had to, right? We can't on the adblock plus forums.

And no problem I was glad I could help. Sorry it came to a head yesterday when I wasn't able to be right at the PC and then last night wasn't on at all. So, the spam really got wild. I estimate I was deleting about 200 a day or so. Maybe more..but it was a huge amount.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

@ IceDogg

I don't OWN this board. I'm just the co-admin. My good friend, Rich, built this forum himself (with a little help from me) and is hosting it from a server in his house basement.

So, we can do anything we want to do with it, basically.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

LOL That's what I meant you could add mods. I wondered why it was richsterling.com, but you went by Rick.

PS Is easylist filterset Rick's list or Rich's list? Both? wow.. to many meds today I believe.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote:Is easylist filterset Rick's list or Rich's list?
Nope, that's all mine.

Unfortunately, Rich is an MS guy ... Internet Explorer ... Outlook. I keep trying to get him to "see the light", but no. We have had some "spirited" debates though. Some may even be on this forum.

In other words ... he doesn't have a clue what Adblock is.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Don't want to offend the owner, so I'll just say "poor guy". :D
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

IceDogg wrote:Don't want to offend the owner, so I'll just say "poor guy". :D
I know, I know.

But what makes this forum good IS the fact that there are 2 admins that look at "each side of the coin" here. What I don't know about, he does ... and vise-versa".

... and sometimes the debates are actually fun (and informative). You might enjoy this ... it is one of my favorites. My friend, Dave, who joined the forum on the day of this post:
http://www.richsterling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143 :)

Ya can't be serious ALL the time

[sorry for getting so far off topic here. I hope that the Admin doesn't ... oh wait a minute ....) :)