ocmodshop.com detects AdBlock [user]

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
alex

ocmodshop.com detects AdBlock [user]

Post by alex »

Just like the title says - this website seems to detect AdBlock and loads a specific page upon the detection:
http://www.ocmodshop.com
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I know. There are a couple of these out there. I have the fixes for ALL of them but they are simply logged here at the moment .... none of these have been implemented yet in my subscriptions except the ones that could be fixed by a simple filter adjustment.

I am not doing anything about these UNLESS they become a problem. At that point I will take them ALL out at one time.

btw:
[OC]ModShop.jpg
[OC]ModShop.jpg (64.03 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
alex

Post by alex »

So right now the only fix is to use NoScript extension in addition to AdBlock?
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Some of my 'trusted' members already know the fix. I will not divulge the info publicly because some "guests" are pumping me for info about how I beat it. That site redid the trigger once before during a recent "guest" conversation on the ABP forum. I will not give any more public info for beating that site.

I don't even know who YOU are. Sorry.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

I have NoScript and the site loads fine whether I allow scripts or not. However I do see a lot of 404s in a header. IMO another example of poorly designed site.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Actually, Alex, you can use this. This seems to work ok too ... just not as good as the totally different one that I have here. :wink: :

Code: Select all

@@.ocmodshop.$subdocument
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Lanik wrote:However I do see a lot of 404s in a header. IMO another example of poorly designed site.
That site is just plain "ping-crazy" .... more work involved there than I would be bothered with.

People try to beat ABP ... yet ABP is not what is being targeted ... the filters are! All these ploys do is annoy users ... but it also shows me new tricks that are being tried too (which seems to have become quite limited to just trying to 'trick' the filters against themselves).

As I've said before, you can't use my own filters against me because they are mine! I have the power to add, remove, modify, whitelist, element-hide them (etc) to fix these types of problems if need be ..... or maybe I just won't care about those sites and they can just commit 'webicide'. Annoying your visitors is a sure-fire way of losing them. :wink:
Alex

Post by Alex »

well, I don't really care about that website since I only discovered it today and it doesn't seem to have much useful info anyway (and NoScript allowed me to read everything I wanted to :mrgreen: ), I just thought it would be useful to know about such blocking methods, but it seems like you already know it, so... :| Although I really don't see a good reason why you haven't implemented the fixes for such kind of blocking yet - yea, they might find yet another way to bypass all your fixes/filters, but it will simply give you yet another challenge to solve... Unless of course you don't like solving the challenges :mrgreen:
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Oh, I love the challenges :mrgreen:

I'm still 'on the fence' about how I feel about those. I really don't need to get into a pissing contest with some site (again). They are not ads. Maybe I SHOULD just publish the workarounds ... don't know :roll:

The thing is that I am busy enough with a HUGE number of subscribers .... and 3 different subscriptions. I really am not looking for another Danny Carlton war again. So for now, I'll let things stand and just publish 'adequate' workarounds (if asked) without tipping my REAL code.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Rick, most of these sites aren't worth the time and effort anyway. IMO of course. ;)

EDIT: Fixed typo. :|
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Lanik wrote:Rick, most of these sites are worth the time and effort anyway. IMO of course. ;)
Did you mean "are" or "aren't", Lanik :D
It really would change the meaning of that sentence :shock:
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Aren't

I can't type today. :(
rick752
Honorary Member