Firefox not working as well after update [tip]

Discussion of Firefox browser and its add-ons.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Firefox not working as well after update [tip]

Post by rick752 »

At times, people may find that their Firefox is not working as well or has become buggy. As a user since Firefox was called Firebird, I can tell you that I have ALWAYS uninstalled the previous program (not the profile) and replaced it with the fresh, FULL installation and have NEVER had problems that weren't related to an error in the program itself.

Updates only correct 'pieces' of a program and sometimes the designer of the update may miss something that causes certain configurations of that program or some add-ons to become buggy. Most users accept the 'update' when it is offered but some may complain that their program is not working as before afterwards and blame the new version. I can honestly say that Firefox has never cause any noticeable 'slowdowns' or losing of info when the full program is removed and the full updated installation is added.

So if you feel that your Firefox (or Thunderbird or Seamonkey) is now causing you problems after an update, simply go to the Mozilla site .. download the newest full install of Firefox ... go to "Add/remove programs" (windows) ... and do an uninstall of Firefox. Then reinstall the new FULL version. Many times this will fix little bugs caused (or missed) by an update. It is also just a great way to re-stabilize and re-align Firefox's code as the full version will check and add everything based on your previous settings, add-ons, and other info from your profile. It is very easy and you won't lose any info doing this because your profile is not removed, so everything just comes right back again.(I do this all the time).

Even if this ISN'T your problem, imho it is the first best FIRS troubleshooting technique that you can try. :wink:
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

One more tip:

After you uninstall the old version and before installing the new one, go to your Program Files / Applications folder and delete the old Mozilla Firefox folder. You don't want to have any leftover program "dregs" on your computer before installing the shiny, new release. Your profile is stored in a different location, so you won't lose any bookmarks, add-ons, etc.
AmyRose
Site Member
Site Member

Post by AmyRose »

Haha, that makes me glad I'm running Kubuntu where updates come in the form of packages that overwrite old versions. :D

Even though I've switched back to Konqueror :P