Is this the end of Thunderbird?

Discussion of Firefox browser and its add-ons.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Is this the end of Thunderbird?

Post by rick752 »

-
Please tell me it is not so :cry:

"Finding a New Home For Thunderbird"
http://scott-macgregor.org/blog/?p=4
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Webmail is great and I use it often, but I can't imagine not download copies of important emails so I have a physical copy stored away on DVD somewhere just in case. I remember several months ago gmail lost 100's of clients emails. They accidentally got deleted. Well what if that was one of us and we didn't use Thunderbird to backup our messages that were real important? I don't see email clients dieing out completely, ever. Less used and less important MAYBE, but still needed.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

I agree with IceDogg. I don't want my important messages permanently stored on someone's server, hoping that they don't have a problem that ends up deleting everything. I'd much rather download the messages to my machine and then backup my data, putting the responsibility on my head.

I thought that this comment on the web page was very accurate:
  • There’s no question in my mind that Thunderbird is an important part of the Open Web. The dominance of Outlook is just as problematic as the dominance of IE. And e-mail is as much a part of the Internet as the web is.
All too true. Windows users need alternatives to Outlook & Outlook Express, and Thunderbird fills that need quite nicely. Rather than saying that Thunderbird doesn't fit the Mozilla Foundation's mission and we need to jettison it, maybe the Foundation needs to broaden its mission scope to cover additional products....
AmyRose
Site Member
Site Member

Post by AmyRose »

I would not be surprised.

However, I use an operating system that's mostly based on software that's developed as a hobby, so I don't think this means the end of Thunderbird.

(But I use KMail anyway. :lol: )