Every Subscription

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
William

Every Subscription

Post by William »

This topic is probably not relevant to the forum, but I want to know is there a web site that lists every or almost every subscription for Adblock Plus; that includes every or virtually every "official" and "unofficial" subscription? I want to have as many subscriptions as possible. I have enabled more than sixty subscriptions on Adblock Plus, and it did not slow the performance of my connection to the Internet while using Firefox in any way, for the speed of my computer is outstanding.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

William wrote:I have enabled more than sixty subscriptions on Adblock Plus, and it did not slow the performance of my connection to the Internet while using Firefox in any way, for the speed of my computer is outstanding.
There is a list of known Adblock Plus subscriptions on the Adblock Plus website, although I would guess, based on the number of subscriptions you have installed, that you have already found this page. However, I would advise you that you should neither need nor want so many subscriptions - the filter lists, some of which are of considerably lower quality than others, are likely to conflict with one another and cause problems when viewing websites.
William

Post by William »

Michael wrote:
William wrote:I have enabled more than sixty subscriptions on Adblock Plus, and it did not slow the performance of my connection to the Internet while using Firefox in any way, for the speed of my computer is outstanding.
There is a list of known Adblock Plus subscriptions on the Adblock Plus website, although I would guess, based on the number of subscriptions you have installed, that you have already found this page. However, I would advise you that you should neither need nor want so many subscriptions - the filter lists, some of which are of considerably lower quality than others, are likely to conflict with one another and cause problems when viewing websites.

The reason I use a large number of subscriptions, is that, I am trying to block as many advertisements as possible. I have realized that the more subscriptions that I utilize, the more advertisements that are blocked. Although I have stumbled upon particular advertisements, which were not blocked by any of the subscriptions that I have used. Indeed, I have already known about the subscriptions on the official web site of Adblock Plus, but I desire to know if there are many other subscriptions that are not listed on the web site? If so, how many are there, and is there a web site where I can obtain the subscriptions?
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

The list of subscriptions on the Adblock Plus website is as complete as you are likely to find. I also stand by what I say: adding so many subscriptions is unnecessary and potentially problematic. Subscriptions for French or German websites, for example, are extremely unlikely to remove adverts from English language websites because general filters are added to primary subscriptions such as EasyList. Although poor quality subscriptions may include very broad filters, there is a reason that such rules are not present in other subscriptions: they cause too many problems to be worthwhile or may even protect ("whitelist") adverts, preventing better quality subscriptions from removing them.

If you do want adverts to be removed, you should report the unblocked items to subscription authors with a reference to the page on which they appear. This method is far more effective than installing yet more subscriptions in the vague hope that they will remove the items: if they haven't been found by established subscriptions, what are the odds that lesser known subscriptions will have noticed them?
arflech

Post by arflech »

I did notice this subscription, which was not in SubscriptionList (I would have formally requested addition but I am not the maintainer): http://www.malwarepatrol.net/cgi/submit ... st_adblock

This is the homepage: http://www.malwarepatrol.net/lists.shtml
eighty5cacao
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eighty5cacao »

arflech wrote:I did notice this subscription, which was not in SubscriptionList (I would have formally requested addition but I am not the maintainer): http://www.malwarepatrol.net/cgi/submit ... st_adblock

This is the homepage: http://www.malwarepatrol.net/lists.shtml
I am aware of that list because I used it a few years ago when Firekeeper was still actively maintained. My feeling is that Malware Domains might be more comprehensive now, and I recall Malware Patrol's server having some reliability issues (sometimes unexpectedly returning empty content). I haven't bothered to check since.

I am neutral as to whether this subscription should be officially listed.
Currently not very active on this forum
William

Post by William »

What are the best subscriptions that could be employed simultaneously? Is it satisfactory to use EasyList, Fanboy's List and Adversity simultaneously? All for what I have inquired, was that, are there other subscriptions that are not officially listed, and if so, how could I gain access to the subscriptions? I apologize if anyone was bothered by this topic; that was definitely not my intention. I have found a few subscriptions that were not officially listed unexpectedly, and I have a desire to know how many unofficial subscriptions are existent. Although I will admit that using a considerable number of subscriptions is excellent for blocking more advertisements than using a minuscule number of subscriptions, it does cause problems by blocking elements that are not generally considered advertisements; it might also block substantial elements. Consequently, I do not recommend applying a significant number of subscriptions. Moreover, thus far, I am only utilizing eighteen subscriptions.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

William wrote:What are the best subscriptions that could be employed simultaneously?
Personally, I wouldn't advise installing any overlapping subscriptions and would therefore recommend that only one of EasyList, Fanboy's List or Adversity is selected.
William wrote:All for what I have inquired, was that, are there other subscriptions that are not officially listed, and if so, how could I gain access to the subscriptions?
I can assure you that, at the very least, the EasyList authors do not provide secret subscriptions (there is EasyTest, but that's still publicly listed, just not officially). People may author private subscriptions externally but, by virtue of being private, I have not heard of them.
William wrote:Moreover, thus far, I am only utilizing eighteen subscriptions.
I still believe the "only" to be unjustified.