*CyberSitter corrupts subscription downloads [warning]

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Well, I guess then I certainly don't want to download any Windows host files, Stylish files, adblock files, Admuncher files ... or a bunch of others that I probably don't even know about from the internet then, do I :?

This is file 'manipulation without thought' by CyberSitter. The bad thing is that it gives no feedback that your file has been re-written, so users of downloaded text files will be complaining if the file shows up missing a few things. It's not like the word "adultfriendfinder" has to be blocked in a text file by a program, is it?... especially if it is the only word in the sentence removed.

Who would link to a text file like that on the internet anyways? If you copied and pasted a text link, it would just be shut down when you went to the site anyways in an html file. And on what part of that 'already blocked' site would the text file be linked FROM? Catch 22 ... see what I mean?

Another thing ... if I wrote an announcement on a web page telling parents that they really should block "adultfriendfinder.com", that would mean that it would only show up as ".com" on the page. You're really trying to block the LINK or SITE here, not the actual text WORD itself. And you can't create a link to anything within a text file, right?

Adblock Plus does not parse the entire content of a file, it only disallows addresses or specific elements contained within web code ... it doesn't strip the plain text out. That is where CyberSitter is wrong!
Last edited by rick752 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:19 am, edited 10 times in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Sorry about the previous rant above.

My point is that stripping plain text (especially even non-vulgar text) out of a simple text file is just dead wrong!

There are many coders who post code to a text file on the internet. If ANY CyberSitter blacklist rules remove even a single word of it, it would totally destroy the entire file (as it does with our filters).
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

What about AV files? Could/would it filter those as well. I mean I remember some bad names of virus, IIRC. I know they are not exactly text files. Just wondering. Still not AS bad as I was thinking, but still pretty bad.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Obviously it would parse thru any file that it is allowed by design to check. I don't know what file types are allowed ..... obviously *html and *txt are allowed.

If *js is allowed, I'd better not post my 'prefs' file
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

what's bad is that it seems to have bad filters along with bad methods. The ads one, will catch so much stuff that it should. Oh well, glad I don't use that app. LOL

Edit: Toned down just a tad :D
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Well, it seems that in the 6 paragraphs of explanation I received from CyberSitter, They basically said to just have users of Cybersitter "whitelist" the filter sites.

So CyberSitter users, add the domain:

Code: Select all

adblockplus.org
to "Allowed sites". That will allow my 3 subscriptions to come thru without corruption.

So that's all I'm going to get out of them, I guess.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

That's what I figured would happen. Unfortunately.