Why do I get this 'General Error' when I try to post?

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
Kryten42

Why do I get this 'General Error' when I try to post?

Post by Kryten42 »

Hi,

I have been trying to post a new topic here, and I get this error (the post previews fine BTW). Also, I had to edit the error (remove the normal plain English words it doesn't seem to like):

Code: Select all

General Error

Could not insert new word matches

DEBUG MODE

INSERT INTO phpbb_search_wordmatch (post_id, word_id, title_match) SELECT 3107, word_id, 0 FROM phpbb_search_wordlist WHERE word_text IN ...words that I had to remove so I could post this!!

Line : 252
File : functions_search.php
Anyone know why? :)

Cheers.
K42
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

This has happened to me twice before. Both times I ultimately ended up rephrasing my post to avoid the offending word. The bizarre part is the same word works fine in other posts. (Sorry, I do NOT remember now what word it was.)

I suspect there is a very obscure bug that is choking on *combinations* of words, which would explain why the same word works elsewhere.

@ Rick: Good Luck finding this puppy! (I don't want *that* job!) :-O
Hint: I do not *routinely* check the mail box of this disposable address!
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

Say, Kryten42, here's an idea:

You probably still remember which word(s) hung up (I hope!). Try reposting again with the following trick:

Insert spaces inside the o f f e n d i n g word like t h i s, and see if it goes through. I'm betting that is does go through. Then Rick will know exactly where it got hung, upgrading his chances of finding the bug from "NO chance in He**" to "a Snowball's chance in He**"!
rbsterli

Post by rbsterli »

The board usually doesn't respond well to copied and pasted text. What usually hangs when I do that are the special characters like degree sign, copyright sign, fractions, etc.

I think I can recover your post... I'll go try after this post.
rbsterli

Post by rbsterli »

Looks like it could have been whichever apostrophe was used in "ad's" or your "Soapbox" BBCode. Anyhow, looks like your post made it successfully (about 5 times now, lol, guess I need to go fix that!)

Have a good day!

And.. btw, you mentioned my name in your post "Rich Sterling".. Most of your appreciation goes to rick752 and his team of dedicated experts here. My contribution is being a technical guy with server space and some extre free time for hobbies!!

-Rich
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

rbsterli wrote:Most of your appreciation goes to rick752 and his team of dedicated experts here. My contribution is being a technical guy with server space and some extre free time for hobbies!!
-Rich
Aww shucks Rich ... you're making me blush :D

@Brad ... don't "envy" me trying to chase down that problem. Rich is "the forum in the basement" owner/builder, not me. I am just a lowly sub-admin. Rich is the forum "genius" here.

Thanx for taking care of this post, Rich. I noticed a while ago that certain "copied" characters do not like being pasted here. I've had problems with <list> formats and certain quotation marks and other special characters myself ... trying to find out which one was doing it was the b1tch.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
rbsterli

Post by rbsterli »

Thanx for taking care of this post, Rich. I noticed a while ago that certain "copied" characters do not like being pasted here. I've had problems with <list> formats and certain quotation marks and other special characters myself ... trying to find out which one was doing it was the b1tch.
If all else fails, I usually copy it into Notepad and then re-copy from there.
It usually likes the BBCode generated lists but it doesn't know what to do with lists that are already made and pasted in.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

rbsterli wrote: If all else fails, I usually copy it into Notepad and then re-copy from there.
Ahha ... that's a very good idea :idea:
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Kryten42

Post by Kryten42 »

Thank you all so much! :D

You all rock! I am so pleased to know that you all are so helpful here. I thought I'd like it here. :)

And I must sincerely apologise to you rick752! I did confuse you with Rich Sterling! I am not sure why? I think it was total envy over Rich?s BBQ that I was looking at before I came to this part of his site! I was drooling all day! LOL

And you were right guys. I made a real newbie error! And I know better! *shaking head* I use Atlantis Word Processor (for many reasons) And usually have it in ANSI text mode, but was using it in full WP mode for something else I was doing. And yes, copying the text to Notepad would have fixed it. (Except that you have to watch out for the line breaks).

I used to Mod a couple forums up until a few years ago (I mostly spend time on blogs now). So I have no excuse. :) I was having a bad hair day or something! LOL

So, thank you all for your kindness and patience. :) And if I can help in any way, I will. My time at the moment is sadly limited, but I will stop by when I can. :)

Cheers all! Thanks again.
K42
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

@Brad ... don't "envy" me trying to chase down that problem. ... Rich is the forum "genius" here.
No matter who ultimately gets to fix it, it *is* a hateful task. Been there, done that! One thing I learned the hard way; short of beginners luck, you need to thoroughly define the problem before you can fix it.

So to summarize:
1) It's not so much the word(s) used, even though the error message blames it on the word(s), as it is the punctuation. Which explains why the same words are fine elsewhere.
2) It's not so much the punctuation(s) used, as it is the fact it was copied and pasted along with the word(s) the error message claims is/are at fault.
3) Copy and Paste from some text editors cause the problem, while Copy and Paste from other text editors (e.g. Notepad) do NOT. (I find this especially intriguing because I use Mac text editors and still have seen the problem occur. This makes me wonder if it is a unicode issue...)

Is that about right?
Kryten42

Post by Kryten42 »

Hmmmm. Now I have a double post. *sigh* Can someone please delete one? Thanks. :)

This time I did use Notepad, and when I copied the text, I got the same error. But it seems that even so, it did accept the post this time. I turned off wordwrap in Notepad and tried again and got the second post.

I might try an old copy of NoteTab Pro I have somewhere. :) I used to like that a lot for forum posting. I have a lot of predefined clipbooks to help.

BTW, I used notepad earlier to post a comment on my original post that Rich recovered for me, and had no problem at all. Go figure... I think my PC hates me! ;)

Thanks again. :)

Cheers.
K42.