How to use ADP filter lists with FF ext ?Redirect Remover?

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
Kryten42

How to use ADP filter lists with FF ext ?Redirect Remover?

Post by Kryten42 »

First off... Hello All! :D

And thank you to Rich Sterling and all the other hard workers who make my online browsing a lot more enjoyable and effective. :) I am a poor unfortunate dialup user (NOT by choice!) And the number of ad?s etc on some pages these days borders on the insane! I swear some pages are 65% ad's, 20% garbage, and 15% useful content!

Soapbox
I am one of those who doesn't begrudge anyone making some money off a few useful and unobtrusive ad's, and have added my fave worthwhile sites to my ADP 'white' list.

I encourage others to do the same! Where would we all be without people like Rich? I have no problem with them having a few ads, and will even click on them to help out. I think it's the least we can do to encourage the development of good Open Source and free products. Just think how miserable our life would be without them. Of course, I also have nothing against blocking everything possible for the greedy money grabbers who give nothing back. ;)
/soapbox

Ahem... Anyway, I just want to say how much I appreciate the work you all do to make the amazing Adblock Plus even better!! :)

So... Partly because I am on dialup, I hate to waste time online, even though I do have a good ISP and I can (and have) stayed connected for a week on my unlimited dialup plan (I never get kicked thankfully), and they have a good caching compressed proxy system that makes my limited bandwidth double normal or even more. :)

One of the many Firefox extension I like and use is called "Redirect Remover". Homepage:

Code: Select all

http://akaxeen.tyllo.de/?page=rdr
(Sadly, the developer is looking for someone to take over the project. I really hope someone does, it's a very useful extension).

One problem with it is that it doesn't know about "adp://" links and converts them to normal "http://" links. You can get around this by adding the following to it's 'Whitelist' options:

Code: Select all

@@^adp://subscribe/*
@@*adblock*
Hope this helps. :)

If there are any other dialup users (or anyone really) that would be interested in what FF extensions I have found most useful, please let me know. (Is that OK Rich?)

Once again, thanks all! :D

Cheers and Peace.
K42.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Hi Kryten42 ... and welcome to my forum :)

Thanks for all the praise. And as you have already found out, I am Rick (EasyList) ... the RichSterling site owner is my friend Rich. That confusion happens all the time at first.

Thanx for your useful post and feel free to post what you like here. We are not quite as strict on these forums as some. These forums are for sharing all kinds of info with a little silliness mixed in from time to time. If you'd like, you could make a new post in the "Mozilla Firefox" or "General Internet" topics about your suggested add-ons for dial-up users. I think that would make a fine topic.

It's great to have someone from Australia in here finally. Ironically, 2 of the main countries that are English-speaking besides the U.S. ... Australia and the U.K. ... are NOT represented in this forum. I would really like some blocking input from these 2 countries and I hope that you can help with some info from time to time. I have visited many of the major sites there myself and have done what I could, but I just don't interact with them as much to find other ad companies. Maybe I already have most of them?
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Kryten42

Post by Kryten42 »

Hello and thanks rick752,

It's great to be here and I do hope to be able to help as much as I can. :) I have benefited from your work and others here. Thanks for making my life easier! :D

And apologies for the stuff up and confusing you with Rich Sterling! LOL I think I know what happened with my original post. I use Atlantis and normally have it set to text/code mode, but was in WP mode when I did my original post, so it converted some characters to special characters. Doh! We live and learn (hopefully!) LOL

Funny enough... I don't use many Aussie web sites! LOL But I do brows the local news pages and a few others now and then. :) I will certainly let you know what I find.

Cheers and thanks again. :)