>>> YOUR FILTERS HAVE STOP UPDATING?

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

>>> YOUR FILTERS HAVE STOP UPDATING?

Post by rick752 »

You may have noticed that your filters have updated to a filter with no adblocking strings in them (you're seeing ads again?).

This would mean you are having my filters still served through my 'verizon.net' server. There are probably around 20,000 subscribers still receiving the filters from there ... and you now have a message where your filters used to be. This should only affect my long-time users as there have been no available links to that server since before July, but I kept updating that address too as a convenience to my users because there was just no easy way to notify everyone to change it.

I am no longer serving filters from verizon.net .... the filters now only come from 'easylist.adblockplus.org', so you will have to change the server address.

Changing to the new server is very simple. Just click on the following link(s) for the filter(s) you want to add (2-clicks each and they are automatically added to ABP):
(ABP 0.7.1 or higher necessary)

:arrow:[url=abp://subscribe/?location=http://easylist.adblockplus.org/adblock ... SA_rick752]CLICK HERE to install the "correct" EasyList subscription[/url]

:arrow:[url=abp://subscribe/?location=http://easylist.adblockplus.org/easylis ... SA_rick752]CLICK HERE to add the "correct" EasyElement subscription[/url]

.. after that, just go to ABP's 'preference' window ... right-click on the old subscription title(s) and delete. If you do it this way, you will NOT lose any of your 'hit counts'.

If needed, the correct static addresses are:
EasyList:
http://easylist.adblockplus.org/adblock_rick752.txt
EasyElement:
http://easylist.adblockplus.org/easylis ... ick752.txt

ps: I have been trying to figure out a way to get people to change servers for a while .... I guess just replacing the filters with a message was the best way I could think of. Sorry for the inconvenience. :)
Last edited by rick752 on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 26 times in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Just so you know. I was on the old server and deleted that list and installed from the new server (not sure that's the best wording but hope you get what I mean) and I didn't lose my hit counts. I just thought people might like to know that. If they don't already know.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Nope, it shouldn't Dogg.

As a matter of fact (in case you didn't know it), if you added another subscription to your filters, any strings that are the same will inherit the hits from anything currently in your entire list.

Therefore an exact copy of the same subscription should inherit all of the other's hit counts 8)
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

and I didn't lose my hit counts
Yea that's what I was saying you DON'T lose you hit counts. I was just letting people know that. I assumed I would.. but did it anyway, and I didn't lose any hit counts...which was a pleasant surprise for me. I thought some others might like to know you don't lose the hit counts. If they didn't already know.. like me.

Edit:
As a matter of fact (in case you didn't know it), if you added another subscription to your filters, any strings that are the same will inherit the hits from anything currently in your entire list.
That's awesome. Would be a way to check for repeats. Nice tip.. thanks.
Peng
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Peng »

IceDogg wrote:That's awesome. Would be a way to check for repeats. Nice tip.. thanks.
It's because filters are only stored in patterns.ini once, even if they're in multiple filter lists. There's no "inheriting" or anything like that. The new list just has a reference to the same old filter.

It seems to me that if you delete a filter, ABP keeps it in memory for a while, either until you close the preferences window or until you close Firefox (not that the filter is still active, but it's in memory somewhere), so if you add it back again, it'll retain its old hit count.

Edit: I forgot to say this: Rick, do you think you could somehow get Verizon to set up a 301 redirect to the new URLs?
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)