IsraelList

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
IsraelList
Site Member
Site Member

IsraelList

Post by IsraelList »

Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

A subscription that is listed on the Adblock Plus website is not automatically included in the EasyList section of the domain. After revising EasyList Germany and sorting EasyPrivacy by language, the next project that we are intending to undertake is changing the way supplementary subscriptions are dealt with. This will involve writing guides to managing a subscription and not listing supplements on the EasyList homepage that are likely to cause problems on websites. There is a high probability that this will require changes in all currently know supplements as well as the ones that have recently been created.

The three main changes that I would recommend for your subscription are:
  1. Don't include the same filters as EasyList.
    There is no point in two subscriptions that are meant to complement one another blocking the same items; I would recommend that you use the redundancy checker and adjust the unnecessary filters highlighted by the tool.
  2. Remove the Google Analytics filter.
    Blocking Google Analytics is known to cause serious issues on many websites; even checking the domain doesn't mean that there won't be problems due to the script error that occurs.
  3. Remove $domain=co.il from most of your filters.
    If a filter would suit all .co.il domains there is no point in restricting it to just that section of the internet; if not there probably shouldn't be a generic filter.
I'm sorry if I'm being overly critical, but these suggestions will improve the experience of your users and the ease of managing the subscription.
IsraelList
Site Member
Site Member

Post by IsraelList »

My list is designed to be both supplemental and standalone.

The list should block any advert if and only if it shows up on Israeli websites, without the need of any other list.

The will be absolutely no change in performance that a user can feel by removing filters which included on EasyList.

Considering Google Analytics, I'm considering to remove it or change it to google-analytics.com/__utm.gif in the near future.
IsraelList
Site Member
Site Member

Post by IsraelList »

Google Analytics filter has been changed to ||google-analytics.com/__utm.gif$domain=DOMAIN_LIST_GOES_HERE

Now it's cannot cause potential issues?
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

IsraelList wrote:My list is designed to be both supplemental and standalone.
A subscription cannot fulfil two functions at once; either it works independently, in which case you should ask for it to be reclassified on https://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions, or it is a supplement, in which case there should not be any redundancy created by the subscription.
IsraelList wrote:The list should block any advert if and only if it shows up on Israeli websites, without the need of any other list.
There are three important points to be made here:
  1. Not all websites using the .co.il top level domain originate from Israel.
  2. Some sites from Israel use other top level domains, in which case they are excluded from nearly all of your filters.
  3. An independent subscription should ideally function reasonably well on all websites regardless of the language.
IsraelList wrote:Google Analytics filter has been changed to ||google-analytics.com/__utm.gif$domain=DOMAIN_LIST_GOES_HERE
/__utm.gif would be the best filter to use. Given the popularity of this tracking system it would be far more efficient to use a filter that is not restricted to any domain or set of domains.