Dropping support for pre- Adblock Plus 0.7.1

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Dropping support for pre- Adblock Plus 0.7.1

Post by rick752 »

Because I will be using some of the new syntaxes in my EasyList that are only understood by Adblock Plus 0.7.1 series or higher, I regret that I will be dropping EasyList support for Adblock 0.5 and Adblock Plus 0.5/0.6/0.7.0.
It may still work ok with other versions, but there will be some issues.

The EasyElement filter will obviously be unaffected as it only works with Adblock Plus 0.7 anyway.

Hey .... upgrade folks .... get with the program! :)
Last edited by rick752 on Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Peng
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Peng »

Well, people still only on Firefox 1.0 for some reason are in trouble now. They can't upgrade to the newest versions of ABP. But since Firefox 2 is out and Mozilla and Wladimir have dropped support for it, I don't see why you can't either.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Yeah Peng ... but they could at least upgrade to Firefox 1.5 :?
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

Not to mention the security problems that have been fixed since Firefox 1.0 was released. If you keep using old versions like this, then you're surfing the 'net with a "Kick Me!" sign taped to your back.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

"kick me" is not that sign I would think off, but I guess you are trying to be honorable and not use bad words :D
fox

Post by fox »

Front page needs to be updated, it still says:

"The Adblock EasyList regular ad filter should work fine in previous version of Adblock and Adblock Plus"
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Yeah Fox:

I know. I'm going to fix a few things here this weekend (have free time) including the documentation. Still have 6 hours to go at work :cry:
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

The Masked Marauder wrote:Not to mention the security problems that have been fixed since Firefox 1.0 was released. If you keep using old versions like this, then you're surfing the 'net with a "Kick Me!" sign taped to your back.
In fairness people using Debian stable are using a Firefox 1.0 with backported security fixes, so there's one good reason that someone might be using it.

That said, backwards compatibility can't be maintained forever and you often have to break it in order to evolve.